Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go... >

HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...

HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...

Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...

guys, i have a serious problem....here goes: i am going to be purchasing an off road nitro vehicle in the NEAR future...here is the kicker, i am buying this vehicle as a present for my girlfriend's 11 year old son who knows nothing about the hobby...I want to get something that is RTR, but at the same time, something that can be upgradable to a race spec vehicle... i am buying myself a new onroad car, and this gives me an excuse to buy an offroad vehicle to get into that arena too...i was looking at an Associated GT2, but i am hearing that 1/10 Gas Truck is not popular anymore or fading out...so basically, me being an onroad guy...what are the popular classes now? what RTR gas vehicle can i buy that will be fun for him, but also allow me to upgrade it to race spec...to be truthful, im looking for an RTR race platform, plain and simple...i am looking for a truck, either, moster or Truggy, no buggies...can yall please help??
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

badKarma,

The GT2 RTR is great truck to get for somebody just starting out. There are a few tracks around your area, but most of the racers in the Baltimore area are running 1/8 Buggies and Truggies. There is a great track called Pit Stop Hobbies which might be an hour and change from you. They run 1/10th truck each Sat. also there is a track in Delaware called Blue Diamond. I know there was a track on 301 but they run more buggies and truggies.

Hope that helps

Kevin Boyle
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

First I would see what the offroad tracks around you race. IF they do race 10th scale truck, that would be my first choice for someone learning, as it teaches throttle control. A nitro truggy would be too much and too fast for most beginners, though it is very fun. The GT2 and Losi AD2 are great nitro stadium trucks.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by badKarma
guys, i have a serious problem....here goes: i am going to be purchasing an off road nitro vehicle in the NEAR future...here is the kicker, i am buying this vehicle as a present for my girlfriend's 11 year old son who knows nothing about the hobby...I want to get something that is RTR, but at the same time, something that can be upgradable to a race spec vehicle... i am buying myself a new onroad car, and this gives me an excuse to buy an offroad vehicle to get into that arena too...i was looking at an Associated GT2, but i am hearing that 1/10 Gas Truck is not popular anymore or fading out...so basically, me being an onroad guy...what are the popular classes now? what RTR gas vehicle can i buy that will be fun for him, but also allow me to upgrade it to race spec...to be truthful, im looking for an RTR race platform, plain and simple...i am looking for a truck, either, moster or Truggy, no buggies...can yall please help??
If you plan to race do not purchase a RTR, because when it gets the time you need to buy the upgrades and at the end will be more expensive.

I went through something similar as your dilemma, except it was my own son which was 11 a year ago.

I purchased a Revo and got it ready for racing, I don't want to remember how much I spent in upgrades to make the Revo reliable for racing, he is today the Venezuelan National Champion 2007.

He wants to race a buggy in 2008, probably will be among the best by year end.

All I am saying is that plan your course carefully, you never know where it will get you.

If you need any additional info please pm me.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

so you guys would advise to stay away from truggies and moster trucks for a first nitro off road vehicle?? no Jato, T Max, or Revo?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Cota348...i honestly have no problem with buying a kit off road nitro vehicle, but here is the thing, #1 i am going to be building my own onroad race project, so time to build and work on both will be limited, #2 he is 11, i dont know if he has the patience to go through the building process with me...thats why i wanted an RTR that could be hopped up later for racing...i want a vehicle where i can ride it stock out the box around the neighborhood, and then get hop ups and hit the track...i dont wana discourage him during the building process, i want him to experiance the fun of R/C, then when things break or need to be switched, show him the fun and importance of building and maintaining the vehicle...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

so you guys would advise to stay away from truggies and moster trucks for a first nitro off road vehicle?? no Jato, T Max, or Revo?
In my case, I am not sure that I would have done anything different, my son learned to drive a Revo and now he can jump to a buggy division with a head start.

Every case is different, go by the LHS near you and ask around what they race and also go by the track and test the water where that kid is going to get wet, then decide what you would do.

I am sure that you and him would feel more confortable in a more relax group.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would say start with a RTR Revo, its perfect for learning and not as hard to drive as a 10/scale for a newbie.

I started off with a Tmaxx and the new Revos are pretty durable, good engine and are the closest u will get to race ready out the box.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TMizzle
i would say start with a RTR Revo, its perfect for learning and not as hard to drive as a 10/scale for a newbie.

I started off with a Tmaxx and the new Revos are pretty durable, good engine and are the closest u will get to race ready out the box.

This is were I think most people go wrong. If you do not learn throttle control with a 2wd drive car you never will. The 2wd drive car teaches you so much especialy throttle control. Most of the Pros start out with 2wd buggy and work up from there. As a father I want my son to start out with a B4 and work up from there. IMHO you will learn so much more starting with a 2wd car.

The track will tell you alot on how well a 2wd will do. If the track has big jumps then a 1/10 2wd will struggle. The track that I mentioned Pit Stop Hobbies is great for newbies. I race there several times a year with my GT2. If you need some help drop me line @ [email protected].

Later
Kevin Boyle
Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i see your point, but for a new person... i can also see them getting fustrated with a 2wd car. a 4wd car is much easier and enjoyable to drive for someone new.

just my opinion though.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TMizzle
i see your point, but for a new person... i can also see them getting fustrated with a 2wd car. a 4wd car is much easier and enjoyable to drive for someone new.

just my opinion though.

I can see your point as well. When I started racing many moons ago we did not have all the cars that are out there today. I just picked up my Tamyia Luch Box and went racing with it. I soon jumped to an RC10 racing oval. Once the RC10T came out , I started to wheel that. If I would have known what I know today....I would have started with a 2wd buggy a lot soon.

Pit Stop Hobbies is a great place to start racing. They sell AE and there are many drivers runing GT2s, B4, T4 and some Revos. I would still pick up a GT2 RTR and go from there. The GT2 RTR could use a few upgrades when you start racing more. On a side note, I do have a extra FT GT2 with engine and servos for sale. You would just need a starter box and radio . I keep all my stuff in go running order.

Later
Kevin Boyle

Let me know
Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN mtarix RTR buggies or Matrix TR RTR truggy are awesome and very durable RTRs and take next to nothing to upgrade to race spec they are decent to race right out the box
check em out at headrushhobbies.com
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

ok, 2wd stadium truck seems like the way to go because of the price too...but what do yall think AE GT2 or Losi XXXNT? i like the looks of the Losi, how does it perform? how hard are parts to get for it? why the GT2 over the losi?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok, 2wd stadium truck seems like the way to go because of the price too...but what do yall think AE GT2 or Losi XXXNT? i like the looks of the Losi, how does it perform? how hard are parts to get for it? why the GT2 over the losi?
A Losi truck will make a moderate driver look really bad...they require more finess to drive competatively. The AE is just opposite...it likes to be driven hard and is very forgiving.

From experience, the Losi will break alot sooner than the AE. The GT2 also has more foward traction in the stock RTR setup than most will ever need. It is the easiest 2wd truck to race.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Cota348...i honestly have no problem with buying a kit off road nitro vehicle, but here is the thing, #1 i am going to be building my own onroad race project, so time to build and work on both will be limited, #2 he is 11, i dont know if he has the patience to go through the building process with me...thats why i wanted an RTR that could be hopped up later for racing...i want a vehicle where i can ride it stock out the box around the neighborhood, and then get hop ups and hit the track...i dont wana discourage him during the building process, i want him to experiance the fun of R/C, then when things break or need to be switched, show him the fun and importance of building and maintaining the vehicle...
I understand your point, I believe that we are talking about the same thing and at the same time not. Let me explain, an RTR is a vehicle that you get out of the box and run it. They come with radio and everything, all you need to to is charge the battery and add some fuel.

Recently a new trend of "RTR" which are call race rollers came out, this are PRO KITS which also are already assemble but you need to add servos, engine, batteries, gas and need a radio. To get them ready for the track only take maybe one or two hours.

I meant to stay away from the first lot, although as I mentioned my son begun with the Revo route, which I treated as it was from the second lot, since I replaced the servos and the radio immediately.

Anyway, a Pro Kit can be assemble either by an older kid or an adult it takes about two afternoons and you have to be mechanical inclined, (which you need to be for the hobby), but you will learn all the ins and outs of the car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.