Wiki Posts
Search

Mach 427 vs Platinum .28?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default Mach 427 vs Platinum .28?

I have a mach 427, would there be a noticeable difference in speed and acceleration with the dynamite platinum .28? Any pros/cons between the 2?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Both engines are made by SH. They are both made for Dynamite. The Platinum .28 has a little longer stroke than the 427 which is the old Mach .26 with a slightly larger bore. Both engines run decent. The Platinum was designed to be Dynamites higher end motor. The ports in the Platinum are a little better to work with and the performance gains after being ported were substancial. The pros for the Mach line of engines are great price with decent performance. The cons are life expectancy is short, cranks are cheaply casted and tend to break and the rod bushings tend to wear out fast. I have done a couple of Platinum .28 and the performance is great after porting and the couple engines I did are 5-6 gallons old and still running strong. The Mach motors start getting tired around the 4 gallon mark. Thats when the rods start spitting out. If you have the extra cash the platinum is the better motor. If you want my opinion, for the same money you can get a Picco P3-28 that will beat both those motors hands down. I have run these for 3 years now and they are one of the best motors for under $200. I have a fully race ported P3-28 for $225 shipped in the lower 48 if interested.

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com
Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The dynamite platinum as has already been stated is an sh based engine.
You can find the same engine put out as the lrp spec 2, xtm 457 pro.
Much better then the mach 427.
I have had both. Alot more power both on the low end and better top end.
I would highly reccomend going with the xtm 457 pro (same engine as the dyn platinum 28) and it is about $70 cheaper.

I used one in my lst2 racer and performance over the mach was very apparent (1.5-2 seconds a lap).

another option is the lrp spec3. Much more top end and is only about $10 more then the xtm.