Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
buggy and engine combo for JCG in Dallas? >

buggy and engine combo for JCG in Dallas?

buggy and engine combo for JCG in Dallas?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default buggy and engine combo for JCG in Dallas?

Anyone here race over at Johnny Cool Guy in Euless, TX?

Was wondering if y'all had any buggy/pipe/engine recommendations to run there.

Buggy-wise I'm leaning towards the X-Ray or Losi but have no clue about the engine. I would like to stay around $200 for the engine until I get better though.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would run the losi personally.. as for engine I would run a GO 5prt with the GO 2047 pipe or a jp3... the GO 3prt would also be a good choice.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Check out the Picco/Jammin' (Evo 2) engines too. You can't go 'wrong' with either of these two manufacturers right now (Go and Picco)...

Also, check out the Hyper 8.5 Pro buggy. IMHO, it is better than the X-Ray and Losi in terms of Performance / Cost. It is also easier for most to drive quickly...

There are a lot of great buggies out there. You really can't go wrong with whatever you get, though...
Old 01-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You do not need a lot of engine for JCG. It is not that big of a track and he keeps it technical enough that driving wins the day. Losi and Xray will both be fast there. You will see some others as well.
Sportworks, GO or an OS VG will do fine. In the Losi you can run less motor.
Traction is high so people run medium tires as well.

We run Sportworks .21 V2 with a OS 2050 and it runs great on the Losi.
Also RB 3 port or 5 port with a RB 2045 runs well.
Just saying you don't need a lot of motor.

TEX
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

I guess I'll go with the GO 3 Port to start with, can't beat that price with a stick. Do I need to worry about headers?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

what do you mean by headers?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

not really sure but I was thinking something that connects the pipe to the engine

and there are different types like long or short

again, I'm a newbie and just relaying bits and pieces of info I've read
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

I wasn't sure if you meant the whole pipe or just the header

JCG is a fairly small track with lots of turns (usually) so a medium to short header should work. if you get the GO 3prt get the GO 2047 or a jp4 pipe. That engine really really likes either of those.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmmm... I probably have the fastest car at JCG. Now I just need a driver! Ok, now I KNOW I'm gonna catch some crap for that...

(I'm also probably the WORST driver there...)

The Losi is a GREAT car. Keep it maintained and it will treat you right!

Also (a bit more spendy) the Kyosho SP2 is great... you can't beat the Xray for build quality though...

I'm running a Werks B7 Pro with a JP1 pipe. Not an ideal combination, but I'm getting close to 10 minutes on a tank with a 5.5 restrictor and 14t bell.

Don't be afraid of the Losi... lots of people say it is too edgy... but I think it is pretty easy to drive. It is very light and darty... it just doesn't need the biggest, baddest motor you can find. (I bought the Werks prior to buying the Losi, had it in a Mugen. I'm not sure I would have bought that motor specifically to put in the Losi.)

What everyone is saying is true. Jake's (JCG) is pretty small for an outdoor track. It is tight enough that motor shouldn't be your primary concern. Pick a car that handles good, that has local parts support, and that other racers locally are running. That means Kyosho or Losi, and to a lesser extent Mugen and Xray. (I don't like the way the Mugen handles, but it IS easy to drive!)

Whatever care you decide to run, expect it to wear the chassis pretty fast there due to the type of dirt, and because it has quite a few rocks in the dirt. However, Jake always has a fun track layout... technical enough to challenge the faster guys, but not so obnoxious that us beginners can't get around it. He usually has some "multiple choice" features, with more than one "correct" line through them.

Brad a.k.a Captain Crash...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i race up there a few times a year.. i run the Kyosho WC buggy.. and Sirio Engine.. i think the losi is a good one.. and also the Xray is good.. you will find alot of support there for the Xray.. Mike B used to run for them.. and he also ran the Losi.. so he can help with setup and such.. also with the losi.. i think a few guys are running .18 motors..
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel
Check out the Picco/Jammin' (Evo 2) engines too. You can't go 'wrong' with either of these two manufacturers right now (Go and Picco)...

Also, check out the Hyper 8.5 Pro buggy. IMHO, it is better than the X-Ray and Losi in terms of Performance / Cost. It is also easier for most to drive quickly...
Hmmm... I've heard good things about the Hyper 8.5. I've never even seen one up close though.

There are a lot of great buggies out there. You really can't go wrong with whatever you get, though...
Qualify that statement... you can't go wrong with any of the cars mentioned so far in this thread.

Local parts availability is ESSENTIAL for a new driver! If you are new, and not breaking parts, you are some kind of prodigy! Good luck whatever you choose, and we'll see you at JCG.

p.s. Chu nguoi Viet khong? (Just guessing based on the screen name and spelling...)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would vote for the Hyper 8.5, great price, excellent performance.

as for engines, the Picco EVO2 or the Jammin JPX21 are good turbo engines, i've heard excellent things about the GO Engines too!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
p.s. Chu nguoi Viet khong? (Just guessing based on the screen name and spelling...)

hehehe
what you know about the Viet, Brad???

i hear alot about JCG but have never had a chance to make it down there
i am gonna try alot more racing this year for sure though
cant make the Ice Breaker due to car work stuff
you guys should head up here for the Action RC Free For All Race in April
Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmm... I've heard good things about the Hyper 8.5. I've never even seen one up close though.
come to indy saturday and you can see mine upclose
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

yep, just can't read or write well

I guess I'll go with the GO 3 Port and possibly the Dynamite 086 as suggested by Russell from GO. Will upgrade pipe and engine as I get better.

I was up at JCG for a little bit last Sunday and will probably swing by to watch some more this Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.