Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Mugen MBX5T or losi 8ight t >

Mugen MBX5T or losi 8ight t

Mugen MBX5T or losi 8ight t

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOOST
I can't believe your diff cases wear that fast Rezen..I haven't had to replace one yet and that is after all my racing with it. But it is your buggy and you would know.
I replace my diff case if there is ANY wear in the crosspin area. Look at the pics that Air 8 has posted in the Losi 8 thread and my response to his pics.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

I have had no wear in the crosspin area yet.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BOOST
I have had no wear in the crosspin area yet.
I am quite jealous then. I have spent quite a bit of money on this one part.

Air 8s Pics

My response
Old 01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I have seen those pics, can't explain why I haven't had wear there yet?? I have had a bit one the outside of the centre from stones and crap getting stuck there but that is it.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

It strikes me as odd too. I ONLY race, and tend not to crash as long as I am relaxed, so its not like I am abusing or adding any extra stress. I have tried shimming and not shimming, I am at a loss. Either way, after race day I refill my diffs anyway, and clean the old oil out just to make sure the performance has not changed, so I have the diffs out, its not much extra work to replace them.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

... deleted

Last edited by w00t; 01-01-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

rezen
i dont think anyone will let me drive there car at the track because i am only 15 and i dont think they would trust a 15 year old with there 1000 dollor car even though i have been racing for about 2 years

but i think i have made my choice

i have been reading a lot and both cars are great cars but i think i will get the mugen mbx5t because my cousin is going to get that same car and he is like a pro so if i have any questions i will just ask him

thanks for everything guys

cya l8r
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 PM

I just have a comment on the age thing, I am 16 and I have 2 of those $1000+ cars, I will say I didnt exactly buy them on my own but still. And then One of the best racers I know is around my age too so I really cant see how age is an issue, especialy since us youger people have an advantage over them older folks, reflexes! But anyways, if you know the people at the track and ask them to drive a few laps with there car thats completely different than going up to some guy and saying hey can I drive a few laps with your car.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

ya i see what your saying

thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i ran the 8 t last year and can say that i think you are picking the right truck i switched for this coming year to a mugen also because of the diff cup wear the best i could get out of a diff in the 8t was one race weekend then the crosspins would be wore like air8 were, i tried with shims and without and had the same failure i loved the way it handles but if i cant finish then there is no sense in racing it,good luck with your mugen

scott
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I got them both I cant decide even...

This is my opinion

Last edited by sonyb; 04-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought the mugen shocks are the best out there when I first got them, but NO, the shaft bent! I've bent 3 on my truggy, not on the buggy though. very slightly, but I noticed during rebuild, and I think I know why. when you have the shock on hand, pull the shaft all the way out, then turn it, u will feel resistence, then the pistol gets stuck there. The bottom of the shock body has a little cone shape which I think caused the binding. I added O-rings underneath the pistol to stop it hitting the bottom, which seems to solve the issue. You can also reduce the droop on the arm alittle, but the setscrew will eventually eatup the chassis. errrr. I guess I'm off the topic, but just a little experience to share with other mugen owners. MUGEN RULEs!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linerv
You can also reduce the droop on the arm alittle, but the setscrew will eventually eatup the chassis. errrr. I guess I'm off the topic, but just a little experience to share with other mugen owners. MUGEN RULEs!
you can go to a more rounded tipped droop screw as well....helps out alot
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

rezenclowd is absolutely correct, I have had multiple losi 8 buggies and multiple mbx5r's. BY FAR, the mugen parts quality is better and the buggy and truggy are far more bullet proof than the losi 8 and 8t. Bottom line, losi and associated, for that matter, do not have the quality in their products as they used to. look at the three company's lineups. losi and associated certainly have paid the best drivers to promote their chassis in the main stream of RC media. Mugen's quality is however better, its a fact face it.

As far as handling characteristics, the losi's turn alot sharper and are more on edge, however I have always found that I can put in equally fast, if not faster fast laps with the mugen as the losi in both buggy and truggy, and I've proven that with DATA, not subjectivity. I'm a six sigma black belt and I ran the statistics through minitab, I was more consistent and faster with mugen and i gave them both plenty of track time.

check out the article below, these are buggies, but remember all the top companies's truggy designs are based on their buggy R&D.

read this article, it is very telling and the way a true, non-biased, objective comparisson should be done.

http://www.rc-car.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...C42CA09BC6D9AD

here is the summary:
Scores:

losi-kyosho-mugen

Acceleration (10)- 9.7- 8 8
Braking (10) 9- 9.8 -8.8
On-power steering (5) 4.6- 4 -4.3
Off-power steering (5) 4.9- 4- 4
Jumping ability (5) 5- 4.5- 4
Jump/land stability (5) 3.8- 4.4- 4.6
Bumpy track performance (5) 4 -4.3 -4.9
Confidence factor (10) 6 -8.7- 9.5
Ease of maintenance (5) 3.5- 4.5 -4.9
Durability (10) 10 -8 -9
Objective Scores
Average Lap Time (20) 18.3- 17.7 -20
Fastest Lap Time (10) 8.2- 9.4- 10
Total Score (100) 87- 87.3- 92

The scores in bold are the ones that I have found, personally, from experience, are the key factors that really set the mugen above the rest.

NOTE: the "durability" has to do with broken parts during the test period, not "wear." Read the article to see what actually happened and you will see that the period of time of the test was not long enough to make this measure even close to statisitcally valid, it is mere random chance and lack of sample size, e.g. lack of power level in the study design, to be statistically accurate.

Conclusion
We’d like to thank all of the companies who helped us put our shootout together. Kyosho America, Paul and Cody King, Sirio Engines, Mugen Seiki USA, Kris Moore, Team Losi, Travis Amezcua, JR Racing servos, Doug Summers at BODZ Custom Paintjobs,Werks Racing Fuel, Spektrum, Pro-Line bodies and tires, Jimmy Babcock of Hot Rod Hobbies for running our timed practice runs, and Richard at KZ Speedway in Sun Valley, California for track use. Ranking the three best 1/8 buggies is like ranking the three best sports cars in the world, or the three best episodes of South Park; there will never be a public consensus, and all three can win on any given day. We don’t expect everyone to agree with us, but after a full week of testing, nine gallons of fuel burned, dozens of sets of tires and countless track hours, it’s our confident opinion that the Mugen MBX-5R is the best overall buggy on the market. o

Please stop pretending there are not wear issues or throttle servo issues with the losi, they have been VERY WELL documented. I've even emailed adam drake on his website asking him about the slop in the front end and other fast wear issues on the 8 and he did not deny it. do the same, go

Last edited by thewholeyearinn; 03-05-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sonyb
This is my opinion

Losi Eight fly wheel so GAY!!!! too damm little its difficult to start..they need to change that...I used ofna flywheel 4 pins..

Mugen Shocks is also GAY!!! worn up easily...I ending up puttin jammin shocks the hardened one....

But Both cars are great!!!!! they just need to fixed those weakness...
Mugen shocks are by far the smoothest of all of them, you definitely did something wrong if they "worn up easily." what does that even mean, is that english?

you put jammin shocks on a mugen, are you crazy? do you like having a little felt pad, poor quality o-rings and weak, quick to wear and fall out c-clip holding your shocks together? The jammin shocks, unless you are referring to the new big bores, which may be better, but I doubt it, are terrible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.