Wiki Posts
Search

holes in the tire or the rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default holes in the tire or the rims ?

are you better off with holes in the tire or the rim ? and if rim and your rims have holes from new, should you plug them and put holes in the tires ?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Holes in the tires. This will allow any dirt to exit the foam or inside of the tire while the wheel is spinning.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

so i should plug the ones in the rims ? shoe goo ?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

yep vent the tires and not the wheels...i use a leather punch to make the holes in the tires...if the wheels have holes in them from the factory (lots do) then a dab if silicone will seal it up...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Ive heard its best to vent the wheels when its dry, and the tires when its wet. Honestly, the different is indistinguishable (as far as performance).
Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Ive heard its best to vent the wheels when its dry, and the tires when its wet. Honestly, the different is indistinguishable (as far as performance).
i have a set of proline CF's that weigh like 2lbs each from dirt filling the wheels...these wheels are vented, and i have not had this problem since venting the tires...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

I am not about performance, I just want them to last.... they are indoor tires, so the tread will last, I just want the foams to last as long as possible.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good advice from all the guys & totally agreed with them.
Learn from a bad experience previously thinking since the manufacturer made the holes in the rim it should be the correct way. Ended up with a new set of 1 race old tires heavy with full of dirt & sand inside that cannot be removed. The worst was all 4 tires have different weight due to the different amount of dirt inside each of them. What happen here is with every bouncing of the tire, there's this one way sucking effect from the vent holes.

Now the question is, why do we still see many rims with vent holes on them around nowadays ??.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
i have a set of proline CF's that weigh like 2lbs each from dirt filling the wheels...these wheels are vented, and i have not had this problem since venting the tires...
2 pounds? I understand how the forces could allow dirt out of the tire during a run, but in order for a noticeable amount of dirt to get in, wouldnt the holes in the wheels have to be huge?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

2 pounds? I understand how the forces could allow dirt out of the tire during a run, but in order for a noticeable amount of dirt to get in, wouldnt the holes in the wheels have to be huge?
well i just hung them i a digi fish scale and the heaviest one is 1.68lbs and the lightest on is 1.52lbs...

the wheels are stock mugen truggy wheels, and the factory holes have not been altered...
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

well i just hung them i a digi fish scale and the heaviest one is 1.68lbs and the lightest on is 1.52lbs...

the wheels are stock mugen truggy wheels, and the factory holes have not been altered...
Oh, nevermind then, I was thinking they were buggy wheels, haha. What does a normal "new" glued up set weigh?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

everyone needs to read this...... this is great stuff.... now I know i will never mount another set of tires without a hole in them (the tire only) and the hole pluged in the rim.....

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

I have been sealing up the hole in the rim, and making two holes in the tire with a leather punch for a while now. Think of it like this. The holes inside the rim can let alot of dirt and dust in, and there is nowhere for the dirt to escape. This will break down the foams quickly as its like adding sand paper inside the tire and it chews up the foam. If you seal the holes then the dirt will not be getting sucked into the tire. By having the holes in the tire it is much harder to suck up anything into the tire, and even if you get water, or some dirt inside, we all know that when you wash a set of tires and put them on the car, start it up and give it gas the excess water that was inside comes flying out the holes in the tires. Essentially everything is getting flung out of the tires, instead of getting sucked in and trapped.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, nevermind then, I was thinking they were buggy wheels, haha. What does a normal "new" glued up set weigh?
ok well i just weighed a new MTR bow tie on a mugen wheel and it was .77lbs...
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

ok well i just weighed a new MTR bow tie on a mugen wheel and it was .77lbs...
Impressive difference. I guess not everyone has the same track conditions to race on. Around here you dont have to worry about the foams lasting because the tires wear out in 2 weekends max.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.