R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Glow plug always being burnt out (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/197149-glow-plug-always-being-burnt-out.html)

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:06 PM

Glow plug always being burnt out

Hi, im new to the r/c action and i have just bought myself a kyosho inferno us sports. So far I have bought 3 new glow plugs and they keep dying after the first go, can anyone help me out?

Jason Halvorson 12-24-2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho84 (Post 4004838)
Hi, im new to the r/c action and i have just bought myself a kyosho inferno us sports. So far I have bought 3 new glow plugs and they keep dying after the first go, can anyone help me out?

seems like your running to lean on either the top or bottom, or you may need a colder plug...

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:14 PM

I have turned the dial to run it rich because it kept dying out but actually burnt the glow plug... u know what else that could be causing the problem

sickboy 12-24-2007 10:16 PM

airleak.........

make sure the carb pinchbolt and head are tight. pull off the back plate and seal it up with some high temp sealant.

Jason Halvorson 12-24-2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho84 (Post 4004849)
I have turned the dial to run it rich because it kept dying out but actually burnt the glow plug... u know what else that could be causing the problem

are you sure the plug is burnt out and not fouled out??? with the needles set really rich there should be no reason why the plug would be burnt out...

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:20 PM

sorry what is fouled out??

Jason Halvorson 12-24-2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho84 (Post 4004863)
sorry what is fouled out??

sometimes when the engine is running to rich it will cover the plug coils in oil and the plug cannot heat up and ignite the fuel...

how is your smoke??? do you get unburnt fuel out of the pipe??? what color is the smoke??? does the engine want to bog at any point???

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:31 PM

yep that sounds about right...will the glow plug still work tho or is it dead when that happens?

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:33 PM

umm i think the colour of the smoke ranges from blue to white

Jason Halvorson 12-24-2007 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho84 (Post 4004896)
umm i think the colour of the smoke ranges from blue to white

when is the smoke blue and when is it white???

blue smoke good, white smoke bad...

can you describe how the engine is running???

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:47 PM

my friend has also got the same r/c as mine and we both blow out white smoke but he doesnt have a problem like mine. It would blow more white than blue tho. The reason why i made it run rich as when i go from stop to full throttle it goes without any lag but when i do 2 seconds after it would lag to get the full throttle which is why i tuned to run rich as it somehow improved the lag.
Before i pull the string to start i have to tune the idle to high so it can actually start but once started i tune it back to low idle as it doesnt die as much when its on high idle whilst running. When i first got the machine after run in process my tuner retuned and it was running very responsive until one day i sorta flipped
it one to many times in which i sorta noticed a lag to full throttle. So far thats what i can think of.

kyosho84 12-24-2007 10:50 PM

it sorta chirps and sounds like its about to die at times when i hit full throttle.

chris c 12-24-2007 11:42 PM

rich on the bottom and lean on the top

brad996 12-25-2007 05:39 AM

I am trying to understand what you are saying and here is what I get from it it sounds like the motor is very rich on the low end needle and way to lean on the top end needle do you know what the temp is at the glow plug if you dont have a temp gun I would recommend getting one cheap insurance for your motor

you can check the low end needle setting by pinching the fuel line and counting I think it should be about 5 seconds

check out this link it should help

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166838

ezveedub 12-25-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by brad996 (Post 4005334)
I am trying to understand what you are saying and here is what I get from it it sounds like the motor is very rich on the low end needle and way to lean on the top end needle do you know what the temp is at the glow plug if you dont have a temp gun I would recommend getting one cheap insurance for your motor

you can check the low end needle setting by pinching the fuel line and counting I think it should be about 5 seconds

check out this link it should help

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166838

LSN needle correct setting should be:
Pinch the fuel hose at the carb at idle, if its correct, the engine should idle for 2-3 seconds, then increase RPM and shut off. If it dies any quicker, too lean, any later, too rich. Remember that the idle screw may need to be adjusted also.
Top end needle , I adjust this by performance, temp and smoke from pipe. When make any needle settings, remember that the engine will lean out when getting hot and when the tank gets low, so keep the needles on the fat side and run it hard, then check temps.