Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST Truggy

Anyone got a Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST Truggy?

Looks like it borrowed parts from the Hyper7.

Is this a half assed attempt at a truggy? Like the Mugen MSR was, which basically just added longer arms to the MBX5?

Or is it a proper Race Truggy?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

ive got the pro and its fantastic. has loads of steering and very strong. havent broke a thing on it. only mod ive done is the brakes as the standard ones are rubbish, got a set of cradocks on there and they are ace. the tyres that it comes with are very good aswell seem to work well on most surfaces.

a freinds got the rtr and that is good aswell. hes changed engine as it was secound hand when he brought it so he uses it as a spare now. for the extra money i would go for the pro as its got alot of extra bits on it compared to the rtr
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

I've seen the ST Pro at my local track and it is nasty! definitely one of the top truggies out there.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes it has some parts that come from the Hyper 7 series, but those parts are not into the design of the geometry of the truggy. Supension,chassis,universals and body is ST product about the only things that are relative in Hyper form are gear boxes,steering knuckles,c-hubs and uprights. It has great steering and good traction with the tires in the kit(but I would prefer a harder or fuller foam insert).The shocks are plush and provide a good cushion just add some preload(haven't did the mod to shock pistons by drilling the hole bigger I like it that way). And from other people I see run them in my area seem to be very happy with it whether it's RTR or Pro or in some cases now 50/50s.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 "It is a proper race truggy"

The Hyper ST competes with the best of them. Pro's were winning bigger events with the RTR version of the Hyper ST when they first came out (Hyper ST Pro wasn't available for the first few months after release of the RTR)...

Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

just finished building a PRO-kit:

Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

truck is bomb proof man. i have raced a full season with it and the only thing that i have broken is a wheel hub and that is cause i had a big moment at full noise into a trye wall. the pro tyres dont work well on my track but alot us are using bow ties and such. good alround truck that for the money can not be beat.i would recomend this truck for sure.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by v1r killer
truck is bomb proof man. i have raced a full season with it and the only thing that i have broken is a wheel hub and that is cause i had a big moment at full noise into a trye wall. the pro tyres dont work well on my track but alot us are using bow ties and such. good alround truck that for the money can not be beat.i would recomend this truck for sure.
can you say the same thing about the rtr version of this truggy i am looking into getting an rtr and its between the st and the matrix
Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

any decent loose dirt setups?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

our track is a fast very groomed track with some big jumps and not to much tech sections although we have just changed our track for the new year. i run 65 weigh oil in front shocks with 40 in the rear and diffs are f12.5 ,c20 ,r4 depending on how tight your track is you might want to change the front diff oil to give more steering. i was having power down issues and i found the 4k diff oil to give a bit better control out of corner to reduce oversteer. http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24 this a good site for set ups and under standing how it all works.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Lethal,

The RTR is a good truggy, but you'll want to replace all the electronics and eventually the engine as soon as possible. Get a better radio Tx/Rx set for it (Futaba 3PM FASST or the Airtronics Equiv) and get the best servos you can buy for it (Do not skimp here). Make sure you upgrade the radio before you get the servos so you can set up your end points and what not.

Check out this thread on the subject: http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8181

Really, I would recommend that you save up your money and buy the Hyper ST Pro kit and the electronics for it (Servos). You can buy a cheaper engine (Maybe even someone's backup engine) for it. Plan on spending at least $800~1000 (Less if you can source you parts cheaply - I.e. Ebay).

If you buy the RTR, you'll wind up spending more than this. There are some mods you'll want to do to the RTR as well (Radio plate bracing mod), and these are minor. The radio plate bracing (Cut up a fuel tank post and brace the tray with it) is relatively easy to do and it helps a lot with the braking.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go for the Hyper ST PRO as rabid says ... get a low budget engine (im using the Jammin JPX .28 and i love it) as the STS .28 new truggy engine, or the Dynamite 427 one (the one that comes with the LST2 from Losi, or the one that comes with the Losi 8ight-T RTR) + cheap pipe (thunder tiger ones from amainhobbies.com), 2 x 985 Hitec servos and you are set !!

cya,
Old 12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Check out Hyperion Servos too, while you are at it.

My buddy Felipe has one and seem to like it. It has top level specs at mid-range prices (~$40). If the things last a year, they're worth it at the price. A-Main has them.

I'm not endorsing them, I'm just throwing them out there as cheaper alternative servo.

I've been thinking of picking up these servos for 'back-ups' in case I want to send my Hitecs in for maintenance (Digitals - been go strong for over a year or two with no signs of weakness...).
Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

just planted a nova 7bt in my trugy and it is pullling so hard it is a treat to see. i will let you know how it goes on a track as it has only had 1 little through it.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got one used and love it. parts are hard to track down though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.