R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   How To remove Tires from wheels (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/195850-how-remove-tires-wheels.html)

chewiefttc4 12-17-2007 12:20 PM

did you know that the fumes work quicker than the acetone itself
if you were to suspend the tire above the acetone it would work much quicker

dgraham225 12-17-2007 12:29 PM

hmm, i didnt know that? thats good to know, id use alot less acetone! haha! do the beads of the tire come out as clean that way? seems like it would leave some residue behind?

chewiefttc4 12-17-2007 12:32 PM

there is a little residue but all you do is take a q tip with some acetone on it and scrub away... :sneaky:

cheesecake 12-17-2007 09:28 PM

well im going to try the bake method tommorow then mount them on a old set of ofna wheels. it pisses ,e off these have like 2 minutes of practice on them and that it. ill never buy another set of panther wheels

chewiefttc4 12-17-2007 09:32 PM

just remember let them cool fully after being in a preheated oven at 345 for ten mins

tkhoo 01-07-2008 05:16 AM

Any other people using nitro to remove tire from the wheel? Pls advise. Thanks in advance.

Buggyboy2007 01-07-2008 12:45 PM

Tryed boiling method, didn't work, melted/warped my rims and didn't do crap for getting the tires off, ended up tareing a couple :mad:

baruke1 01-07-2008 01:56 PM

I just unmounted a tire yesterday with a heat gun. It took me less than 5 minutes and worked fine.:tire:

F N CUDA 01-07-2008 07:57 PM

Absolutley best method is acetone.
Get a new empty paint can from Home Depot and a gallon of acetone.
When you put your tires in the half full paint can, squeeze em and let em fill up with acetone and they will sink.
When they easily peel apart after a COUPLE days amd you are very gentle you can save even the foams. They'll be huge and very delicate until they dry out but they will be good as new (if they were new when you soaked em).
I did this with brand new tires, rims and foams. Hated the firm foams and wanted to go to mediums but put the firms in a different set for a different application and everything was perfect, no picking or even wiping. Glue melted completely and tires were soft and fresh as new.
Thanks again Mr. Hartsen, Steven's dad.:nod:

revo_race 01-07-2008 11:21 PM

Baking them was the easiest method I've tried. I tried acetone, debonder, cutting them with a knife, boiling water (worked sometimes but not very well) and baking them. Baking was by far the best/fastest/easiest way that I've tried yet and I don't think I'll ever try another method since it was so easy. I baked them at 415 degrees for a few minutes and that's all it took.

kavadni 02-22-2008 05:54 PM

I've had reasonable success with boiling, I will try baking today.
I have been told that boiling removes oils from the rubber, hence altering traction.

Is there any formulas or tricks to put the oils back in, glycerine has been suggested. And there are various rubber rejuvenators available from Automotive shops

Any other suggestions?

Kevin

Seven1Four 02-22-2008 06:55 PM

Boiling works pretty well, takes awhile, and pisses off the wife, wonders why the pasta tastes like dirty crimefighters.......:lol:

also tried the hartson method...works great imo.......just follow the directions that cuda left.

Integra 02-22-2008 09:08 PM

5 minutes with a prop balancer and a heat gun...No warping....no melting.....tire comes off with litttle effort....and i like how guys say to wait till the tires cool off before tryin to remove....in reality u should do it when its hott...as the glue is like a gel consistency..and it actually peels off....u all know it when u remove tires by baking them...all it does is release the glue from the rim itself...not the rubber....so when the tire is hott...IF u can handle it....grap at those chunks of glue and get peelin..as the Second that glue gets room temp its gonna be HARD as ROCK....and No it dosent Shatter like glass..more so crunches like hardcandy....ive been tempted to make a short vid of how easy it really is.....but havent got around to it yett...After the Nats maby :nod:

DogboneS 02-22-2008 10:37 PM

+1 Acetone in a coffee can, with a lid, as stated above. The acetone will dissolve all the CA. I leave 4 wheels submerged over night. Check after the first couple hours to see where they are starting to release, lift the edge to allow the acetone to penetrate deeper. Most are completely loose by morning. CA pinches created while gluing, are gone after the soaking. Done a dozen this way. I've done this with 1:5 scale wheels as well. You use a half bottle of CA per wheel with 1:5 wheels, I think getting them hot enough to crack free all that CA would destroy the rim. Do use caution with the foam inserts. They will tear very easily when soaked with acetone. If you can remove the rubber with the foam in it, let the foam dry out, before you pull it out of the tire. You'll be surprised how much sand and silt your storing in those old buggy wheels. After a dozen wheels the can's bottom is covered with sand.

SUNA 02-23-2008 09:12 AM

What is the best way to remove a tire and foam IF you want to re-use the tire and foam. I have a brand new Bowtie mounted on a MTR wheel and want to switch to a LPR. I repeat, I want to re-use the tire and foam.

I do the acetone thing if I want to only re-use the wheel.