Fuel Dye

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Fuel Dye

I posted this in the Fuel gun thread but thought someone on here must know. I'm looking to see if there's any products out there to color nitro fuel. I run Losi 30% Nitrotane and I love how it runs. But the stuff is clear as water and it's a pain to try and see in the tank, fuel gun, etc... Especially at night. I would think there's got to be something because other brands are colored like Sidewinder, Trinity, Blue Thunder, etc... But are they getting the color from the oil they use to mix it or from a dye?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

liquid food coloring comes in yellow blue green red. no more than 2 drops dont want to dilute the mix.i got mine from the dollar general .99 cents theres enough to do about 10 cases of the same color.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my fuel is so orange but could easily be confused with orange juice

wouldnt the dye do something to the fuel/engine? i know its a strong colour but it doesnt burn.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I must agree with Mr. TM. I have been using the same stuff for a couple years now and have had no problems. Also if I'm not mistaken TM knows a little bit about fuel development.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmperformance1
liquid food coloring comes in yellow blue green red. no more than 2 drops dont want to dilute the mix.i got mine from the dollar general .99 cents theres enough to do about 10 cases of the same color.
would that be 2 drops per gallon? per fuel gun/bottle? per tank?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

per gallon the food coloring is strong so 2 drops should be sufficient.

what up shocky! my favorite water guy.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the help. I'll try the food coloring.

So the coloring that other brands have, is it from the oil they're mixing with?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

i wouldnt think it is because of different oils, but many use it to identify it. If you ever look at pump gas, like at a BP, the 3 ;levels have 3 different colors, but it comes from the same place.

if you know you run byrons, you wont grab a powermaster, or traxxas, (which are made by the same people, but are 2 very diffrent colors) because of the color difference. Someone said in this thread tm knew about fuels, i suggest listening
Old 12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

most fuel MANUFACTURERS us the same oils. klotz castor synthetic blend is very widely used. because of the methanol, polypropylene and nitro amount compared to the amount of oil used per gallon the fuel has no color. manufacturers color there fuel with high grade food coloring. manufacturers who mass produce fuel have a very high tolerances as for consistency per batch. so if the mixer guy is having girl trouble that peticular batch may have large variances in nitro content. i tend to stay with smaller producers because there fuel is usually more consistent gallon to gallon. if anyone can get there hands on rocket science fuels out of texas try it i've checked 2oz from every gallon in the last 4 cases and its been the most consistent gallon to gallon i've tried. www.rocketsciencefuels.com

matt perry