Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ceramic vs. stock motor bearings.. >

ceramic vs. stock motor bearings..

ceramic vs. stock motor bearings..

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
SteveJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ceramic vs. stock motor bearings..

how much longer if any does the ceramic last over the stock bearings... or do the stock bearings last longer. This is for motor bearings, rossi.....


Thanks
SteveJa is offline  
Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,160
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SteveJa View Post
how much longer if any does the ceramic last over the stock bearings... or do the stock bearings last longer. This is for motor bearings, rossi.....


Thanks

I have had way better luck with normal steel bearings. The ceramic bearings spin better, but pretty much every engine bearing failure I have ever had has been a ceramic bearing.
Scott Fisher is offline  
Old 11-30-2007, 03:27 PM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (43)
 
kaotickc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I have had way better luck with normal steel bearings. The ceramic bearings spin better, but pretty much every engine bearing failure I have ever had has been a ceramic bearing.

+1 here also on what he said.
kaotickc is offline  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
SteveJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

oh this is great... i should have asked this before i bought a bunch of bearings... i always do things backward.....

maybe i should send them back before i put them in.....
SteveJa is offline  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
SteveJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

also what brand should I get boca ???

thanks
SteveJa is offline  
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
mugenb46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: springfield tn
Posts: 1,385
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

What brand of ceramics have you had failier from? i have used ceramics for quite a while and they have always held up very well, to be honest i can't ever remember having to replace a rear bearing, fronts yah but i replace them with ceramics and they last pretty good, but most fronts seem to leak after a good bit of time.
mugenb46 is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 01:29 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,160
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugenb46 View Post
What brand of ceramics have you had failier from? i have used ceramics for quite a while and they have always held up very well, to be honest i can't ever remember having to replace a rear bearing, fronts yah but i replace them with ceramics and they last pretty good, but most fronts seem to leak after a good bit of time.
Boca and Novarossi.
Scott Fisher is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
SkarTisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,671
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Some engines benefit a lot from ceramics. Like OS V-Specs. I put TKO ceramics in mine from the start and have never had any bearing issue at all. With the steel bearings, you're mainly concerned with not sliding the ball along the race where it runs. This can happen if the cage inside the bearing gets gunked up with thick oil. As long as that doesn't happen, and you don't death-rev the motor (especially when it's cold) you should be fine.
SkarTisu is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 2,741
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

put a TKO ceramic in and dont look back
imaxx21 is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 AM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Planet Earth, 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Amen, good info.

In my biz we install ceramic bearings. I've used a couple different brands and have only had one failure from, believe it or not a TKO.

From what I've seen, all front bearing will eventually leak. They have a lifespan. Considering they have pressure behind them and a moving shaft which may move not only in a rotation movement but may flex, thats alot of "stress" on a bearing.


Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
Some engines benefit a lot from ceramics. Like OS V-Specs. I put TKO ceramics in mine from the start and have never had any bearing issue at all. With the steel bearings, you're mainly concerned with not sliding the ball along the race where it runs. This can happen if the cage inside the bearing gets gunked up with thick oil. As long as that doesn't happen, and you don't death-rev the motor (especially when it's cold) you should be fine.
bushyar15 is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Peter Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 777
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

If any TKO engine bearing ever has a problem please save it and contact us. We are bearing engineers and will replace any bearing if it is a manufacturing problem etc.
Peter Martin is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Posts: 1,820
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

as nice as that would be it will still suck if the bearing take ur $500 modified motor with it but still least u have pride in your product and backit up
aus jd 2703 is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
  #13  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (96)
 
houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sherwood,OR
Posts: 15,837
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

hey peter , did you guys get your new batch of 14.5x26mm ceramic bearings yet ??
houston is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Bigedmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,837
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I just put TKO ceramic bearings in both of my OS vspec's.
Bigedmond is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Planet Earth, 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Well, thats good to hear about the bearing. But what about the motor it destroyed?

I've never seen an inner race "chip" like that. It destroyed the rest of the engine taking part of the con-rod and sleeve...

As a small business owner I can't afford a failure like that. A 25 dollar part taking out a 300.00 dollar engine....

I'm not bashing TKO. I know failures can happen anytime any place...

PM sent...




Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
If any TKO engine bearing ever has a problem please save it and contact us. We are bearing engineers and will replace any bearing if it is a manufacturing problem etc.
bushyar15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.