R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Truggy Choice? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/193313-truggy-choice.html)

slow supra 11-29-2007 02:26 PM

Truggy Choice?

I have been thinking of buying a truggy to race. What brand is more durable and at the same time has decent handling. What to buy a race model not entry level. thanks in advance for opinions. Jim

rabidsquirrel 11-29-2007 02:33 PM

The Mugen and Losi seem to be pretty popular in FL, from what I've seen so far.

You definitely need to check out the Hyper ST Pro, though. It's reportedly a very competitive rig for a decent price ($450ish, I think - www.nitrohouse.com).

Also check out the ThunderTiger truggy (~$360ish, I think), if that thing even has above average performance and durability, then it is a steal of a deal for club racing.

Full Disclosure - I don't race truggies, what I've said is based upon what I've seen at my local tracks, what people have told me, and/or what I've read... :nod:

slow supra 11-29-2007 03:06 PM

How is xray truggy. Good as it looks or just over priced.Jammin how about those ones also.

Nitro syco 11-29-2007 04:30 PM

If you realy wanted to drop some $ the ST-RR is a very nice truck. You cannot go wrong with an Xray XT8, it realy isnt over priced, it may be a little more than the comp. but you get all of that right back in parts quality. You cannot go wrong with a XT8 ST-RR MBX5T CRT, another very good car is the Losi 8T but I am not a fan it has different handling characteristics that make it slightly more difficult to drive and parts wear a bit faster but it is a good truggy

tdeal823 11-29-2007 04:34 PM

I had a Jammin CRT for 2 years good solid truck
BUT... Nothing Looks better on the track than a Losi 8T
I would think that the next best truck will be the new Jammin Truck with the New 16mm Jammin Super big bores
either or I would bet you would love.
If you want it now get the 8T if you can wait till spring go for the Jammin

Stefan Millay 11-29-2007 04:38 PM

Also consider the CEN Matrix TR. It is a great handling truck and easy to drive fast.

RC Nymph 11-29-2007 04:44 PM

My personal opion would have to be towards the Jammin CRT. I have had mine since June and haven't had to replace many parts at all. It doesn't require many upgrades to be of good race quality and the handling is amazing.

Jason Halvorson 11-29-2007 05:48 PM

+1 mugen!!!!!!! strongest truggy built, and one of the best handling...

Robert.Hull 11-29-2007 06:53 PM

+1 CEN Matrix very durable and affordable

VoodooDaddy 11-29-2007 06:54 PM

Yes all the trucks above are good Ive owned them Crt , Str Mbx 5t & now xt8.. The Crt to me had alot of off power steering ... It still was a great truck to drive .. The onlything I didnt like was the parts wear everytime I took the diffs apart there was metal in them looked like glitter ..... The Str for me was a great overall handling truck parts were easy to find and parts didnt wear as bad ... The Mbx5t handled great it was wide & with a Bce Chassis it handled better ....The harder you drove the the truck the better it felt ... The xt8 Im currently racen the truck now and it handles diffrent from all of them Ive driven above ....The truck has a ton of steering and has a ton of tuneability but that can be a bad thing ... Like last weekend I was chasen a setup at a race and seemed everything I did to correct it didnt change things ... I didnt want to go overboard .. lol . but still I dont think I got close ..... But on another note I drove Alan Burtons OCM Truggy last weekend after the races were over and Man that truck was awesome to drive ... it was very stable.. It soaked up the ruts like nothing was there turned on the pipe .... My xt8 had no chance ... but again I was chasing a setup ..... The Xt8 motor sits further back than a mugen and that changes things up as far as setup thoughts .... But I hope this helps you out and these are things that Ive experienced

pwnzor 11-29-2007 06:56 PM

Kyosho ST-RR all the way man :nod:

annie_himself 11-29-2007 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by pwnzor (Post 3921207)
Kyosho ST-RR all the way man :nod:

He buys one everytime he pays his car note. :lol: Kyosho has some pricey rigs.

nitro rat 11-29-2007 07:22 PM

get a losi if your a smooth driver, this truggy is fast if you can drive them. The only other reason im saying to buy a losi is if there are support parts for the car

slow supra 11-29-2007 07:33 PM

At the local track my way(Revelation in Ontario, Ca.). Losi 8ight seems to be the most popular. Probably because it's close to Losi's home base. I also think they do seem to have better quality plastic components. I would like to try a Jammin, but afraid quality and part support in my area. Anyway I my wait for that new Jammin Truggy you guys were talking about.:nod:

PEANUT18 11-29-2007 07:53 PM

just wait for the new x2-crt....i now own 2 crt and i love their truck durability....i am waiting for the new x2-crt.....:D:D:D