Wiki Posts
Search

Motor break in article

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Motor break in article

I will admit i am a complete and total noob when it comes to nitro. Before i get into it i just wanted to do some reading about motor break in and maintenance. any one have suggestions for articles, or any processes that you have used through out the years.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

Here's the procedures I use:
http://racefactorindustries.com/id1.html

Has worked well on the 3 motors I have broken in so far.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

very interesting, thanks for the info guys. two very diffrent approaches. One thing that does make sense to me is the first article says use a fuel with a high oil content, that makes sense. But it also said with low nitro content, If the whole point of the initial break in is the get the temp up, wouldn't you want high nitro levels?

also, this may seem like a dumb question, but is there any sort of break in oil that is used? Its obvious that im used to electric, but it would seem to make sense to use some sort of diffrent oil used in break in rather than just content in the fuel.

what kind of temp gauges do you guys recommend for reasonable prices?(50-80)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know people who break-in with normal fuel with 20-30% nitro. I personally don't. Nitro can wear the engine out faster, and during a break-in you don't need that. I personally run 5-10% nitro and 16-18% oil content. I've used Morgan Fuel's Omega 10% on my engines and had no problems with break-in. Its has high oil content and I can run it rich enough for break-in, and keep 200+F temps. I do use foil on the head to keep temps up sometimes. Novarossi states to use regular fuel, but add extra oil to the first 3 liters of fuel used. Add 5%, 3% & 2% for each respective liter of fuel for break-in.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I've used Morgan Fuel's Omega 10% on my engines and had no problems with break-in.
Is that the Airplane fuel?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I know people who break-in with normal fuel with 20-30% nitro. I personally don't. Nitro can wear the engine out faster, and during a break-in you don't need that. I personally run 5-10% nitro and 16-18% oil content. I've used Morgan Fuel's Omega 10% on my engines and had no problems with break-in. Its has high oil content and I can run it rich enough for break-in, and keep 200+F temps. I do use foil on the head to keep temps up sometimes. Novarossi states to use regular fuel, but add extra oil to the first 3 liters of fuel used. Add 5%, 3% & 2% for each respective liter of fuel for break-in.
Use 20% for Break In
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm breaking in my Go Tech 3 port practice motor as I type with %30.

I used the Drake method as shown in the Nov. issue of RC Extreme Magazine and that worked just fine for the P/S on my Go 5 port last month.

Now I'm using the method as listed on the Go/Racefactor Industries site for my 3 port. So far so good. I used this method on my 5 port the first time also.

All I can say is this, I believe there's more than one way to break in an engine and I've had equal success with several methods.

Let's face it, there's no need to be overly freaked out about the break in process.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

figured there was more than one way, just like most things. but was currious to see other ways, and wanted to know ways that were less risky before i get into gas.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

lower nitro percentage = higher temps
I break all my motors in with the cheapest 20% my shop has = higher temps
Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by raceGEEK
figured there was more than one way, just like most things. but was currious to see other ways, and wanted to know ways that were less risky before i get into gas.
These motors don't cost that much anymore. I used to over analyze things and woory way too much. Now I just get it done. Actually I hate breaking in motors now. Believe me, after 15 or so you get really tired of it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Woof
Is that the Airplane fuel?
They list it under Aero formula, but i could care less. I want the high oil content with Castor blended in the oil. Plus its 10-12 bucks for gallon. I can tell you this, I've ran it on the track and don't have any issues with it either, but I only use it for break-in and initial runs then switch out to regular fuel.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by satoch
These motors don't cost that much anymore. I used to over analyze things and woory way too much. Now I just get it done. Actually I hate breaking in motors now. Believe me, after 15 or so you get really tired of it.
I don't know what your running, but parts ain't that cheap for mine. Screw up the break-in, you'll be buying another p/s/r set and have to start the break-in again.
I got a supposedly "heat cycled" broken-in engine with only 1.5 gallons. Engine was clean, looked like really good, til I tested the compression. Almost zero. Sleeve/piston looked clean, but piston had the upper edge worn off and some very minute signs of detonation at the exhaust port on the button and piston. No discoloration, bluing or even carbon soot or build up. Fuel supposedly used: Byron's 30%. I got friend now, ran some 30% fuel on his OS VZB on the third tank of break-in. Man, I never seen metal pinch disappear that fast, by fifth tank, it was gone. I'm not saying you can't break-in an engine with high nitro properly, as I know some who have, I just prefer to do it the old way.

Last edited by ezveedub; 11-30-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

They list it under Aero formula, but i could care less. I want the high oil content with Castor blended in the oil. Plus its 10-12 bucks for gallon. I can tell you this, I've ran it on the track and don't have any issues with it either, but I only use it for break-in and initial runs then switch out to regular fuel.
I was just wondering, because I have some of it and thought it would be bad if I used it in my car.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Some say don't run aero fuel, but its still formulated for glow nitro engines. Since you have run it rich for break-in, you won't be leaning or race tuning on this fuel/ oil blend formula anyway. I have used it, then transitioned to Maxy's and had no real changes to make other than adjusting the needles as it breaks in more. Plus, try to find low nitro, high oil content car fuel. I have have found 5% nitro heli fuel, but I haven't read the MSDS or blend formula for that fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.