Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
K&N air filter oil - GOOD OR BAD? >

K&N air filter oil - GOOD OR BAD?

K&N air filter oil - GOOD OR BAD?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)
Default K&N air filter oil - GOOD OR BAD?

I have some K&N air filter oil in spray can, is this stuff good for .21 race engines...........I have heard mixed feelings on it..........please share your thoughts............I am using AE air filter oil now
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

they dont filter out dirt well enough for rc engines..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

thats what I have heard from some, I've never used it personally.

Last edited by pwnzor; 11-29-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Been using it since 96.... never had a problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

hmmmmmm, so some like and some dont...........6 yrs and no probs sucking dust, in that case it must work, I have always heard mixed emotions on this, thats why I have never used it. Keep your experiences with it coming....... the stuff is cheap in comparison to small bottles of hobby grade oil
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been using it since i tryed it for 2 years now and i find it works excellent. I can run a day of racing and all i have to do in the end is pull off the prefilter and the internal filter is in perfectly clean shape. I would recommend it for sure. The other oil used here in town is MotoX filter oil.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pwnzor
hmmmmmm, so some like and some dont...........6 yrs and no probs sucking dust, in that case it must work,

6???? I thought it was 11. I still have these engines, they run great!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
6???? I thought it was 11. I still have these engines, they run great!
lmfao!! de-de-de
Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the K&N works good on paper and fiber filters like the little ones for gas trucks. K&Ns are a paper/fiber style construction and you can use the cleaner on our filters to wash them out, even the paper ones. Just blow inside out with light air on your compressor.

As for foams, I use a quart of the Belray from a local bike shop. That much for around $11-$14 has lasted me about 4 years now and at this rate I've still got probably a year or so left... Good luck, and remember, saving a buck isn't going to be any good once your motor sucks dirt. My $.02
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM
ALG
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cwalters
the K&N works good on paper and fiber filters like the little ones for gas trucks. K&Ns are a paper/fiber style construction and you can use the cleaner on our filters to wash them out, even the paper ones. Just blow inside out with light air on your compressor.

As for foams, I use a quart of the Belray from a local bike shop. That much for around $11-$14 has lasted me about 4 years now and at this rate I've still got probably a year or so left... Good luck, and remember, saving a buck isn't going to be any good once your motor sucks dirt. My $.02
NICE choice, I also use Belray, great oil!!!!!
no problem with it. They are use on foam filter for MX bikes.

but remember, have FUN!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I also use the BelRay foam filter oil. It has worked great for me for 4 years. Another option is the TKO Rock Oil if you wash and re-use yuor filters. Personally, I never re-use the inner filters. I oil both the inner and outer filters, then blot with a paper towel until there is hardly any oil coming off the filter anymore. I wash and re-use the outers. I just use a foam filter cleaner in a spray can from the motorcycle shop where you can get the BelRay foam filter oil. I then use alight amount of grease on the outside flat edges of my inner filter that sits in the filter housing. I make up a bunch of outers and keep them in a zip-lock bag. When the outer gets too dirty, I stick it in another zip-lock bag to washe and re-use again later. After going through changing the outer a bunch of times, eventually the inner will get changed. I toss the inners though. They are cheap enough and my $300+ motors are worth the peace of mind. The inners usually last one race outting (1/2 to 1 gallon of fuel....usually a few tanks of practice, three qualifiers and a 10-20 minute main).

As for the K&N filter oil it is not made for foam filters so I would not use it.

Best regards,
Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just wash my filters, both inner and outer. Never had any problems doing so. They don't really seem to break down much after repeated washings - I have inspected them to be sure...

As for K&N oil, IDK... I'd guess that any quality motorcross/dirtbike/ATV type oil designed to work foam type filter elements would work fine.

Dirt is equally effective at killing engines, large and small. Racing Dirtbikes and ATVs take some serious abuse over a longer period of time with the same filter (Enduros and such). If it works for them, it'd likely work for an RC car in a 30~45 minute main, IMHO.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm using BelRay too. After a few test days this summer on a dry track, running about a half gallon and nearly clogging the outside of the prefilter with dust, not a speck of dirt made it to the inner filter.

I'm sold on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

heres my solution to the problem....

Purchase the Losi air filter kit (snorkel, housing, inner and outer filter)

Purchase the Losi PRE OILED!! air Filters. At $8.00 for a pack of 4....2 bucks a filter, consider it cheap insurance on a very expensive mill.

I change the filters (inner and outer) when i see the outer getting relativly dirty. That way i know that no dirt is getting past that inner filter.

sure i clean them and reoil them to use again...but not very often!! the convienence of pulling one filter off and slipping another on that is allready oiled out of the package is very nice!!

and if you think that a filter that is packed with dust is restricting flow...suck on the filter assembly when it is caked with dirt...and see how much air you can suck through the filters....
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use K&N filter spray and have been for about 2 years and it works great in my opinion Before I used this red BelRay stuff and it was cool.You put it between you fingers then pull them apart and it was like a super spider web but in my opinion it was too thick for RC engine use I want my motors to breath and still have the protection so no dirt goes in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.