How to get a track up and running through local park district >

How to get a track up and running through local park district

How to get a track up and running through local park district

Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)
Default How to get a track up and running through local park district

Hello everyone,
I was making this thread as this winter I am going to approach the city park district/city council to open an outdoor rc off road racing facility. I have found a perfect piece of land that is already zoned under the Quincy Park District, its an old soccer field that is no longer used that just so happens to have a perfectly flat grade, it is outside of city limits, so I cant see the noise or fumes being an issue. There is ample parking there, and a bathroom facility, im not sure on the AC, and I know there is no HID lighting system for night racing, so there is work to be done in a lot of areas, I think I may be able to get LHS behind me on this as well for support, whether it be financial or logistical, I think they should be involved in one way or another as they are they only shop we have for support(parts/fuel/kits). I have called the park district program director and got his voice mail, so I am waiting on a return call from him.....how should I approach him on this? what are important things to point out to him? any help / tips to getting this going would be great. Also, do people donate items like to build the drivers stand, or the dirt/clay, should I ask for assistance from local vendors/contractors?The location im shooting for is Quincy, Il. It would be a good location as it is between st. louis and peoria / chicago. Quincy used to rock in offroad rc racing in the mid to late 80's @ R&R Hobby( Roy Weast and Jim Deiter) I want to bring it back to this little river town. peace and thanks for any advice in this matter Trevor Williams
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Trevor - Sounds like you are taking the right steps. I would beat every bush for sponsorships. Offer to put up signage in exchange for supplies. For dirt you can talk to construction companies especially those that dig basements. If you are close to a jobsite, they will often bring you dirt for free.

Your biggest challenges will be getting enough useful club members and getting the parks department interested.

There are already a lot of off-road tracks in Illinois. I question whether it can support another. Right now you have: Danville, Mahomet (near Champaign), Joliet, Lincoln, Peoria, and probably a couple I have forgotten about. That is a lot of competition for a limited number of racers.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

thanks Windell!!!
thats true, and a good point, but I still think it would be great for the community here though.....It would give the kids something to do, It will keep kids from running rc cars in the streets which I see all the time, it will teach youngsters to be competitive. I just think it would be a great thing all the way around, this town is so lame, we need something to do here on the weekends, I can see the MT class being the biggest class @ first, not many are into buggy/truggy here but according to LHS sales are starting to pick up in the 1/8 scale market, thats why we need this track, if they seen what buggies/truggies were capable of on a race prepped surface with obstacles, many would be hooked and in the LHS dropping major loot. Also, if this thing moves forward, would it be wise to get ROAR sanctioned for $35 a yr to be covered by the member accident and liability insurance? Im sure there will be mixed feelings on that, but please share your thoughts. peace Trevor
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

not much help here ;/

I just talked to the park district program director, he is interested in hearing what I have to say / offer to the community. He asked that I call him on Monday next week to setup a meeting with him, so I need to use these next few days to acquire all pertinent information
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used to live a samll place with nothing to do...in places like these where there is nothing do.....a lot of kids turn to drugs because there is nothing to do..Tell the director that it will help keep kids of the street, like a lot of after school activities do.....some kids don`t like sports but almost all kids like rc cars.....They are also gonna want to see some type of revenue...sad but true......offer them a percentage of what the track makes on race days/nights
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As for Roar......I would rather do without.Alot of track around here use roar when they first open up.........now most of them have there own insurance and still use roar as well.......I just don`t like the fact that I paid the roar fees and there`s never a roar sanctioned event at my track,and that I have never raced a roar event since I`ve been racing....I`m sure roar is good in some way.If you can get cover by a local insurance group you`ll be headache free and better off.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

thats what I think I am going to aim for(local insurance firm)........thanks for the reply man
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

go on youtube or somewhere and find some footage of race action, and everyone having a great time. That might be helpful especially if the Parks Director doesn't know much about the hobby. I get a lot of "You race R/C Cars... " reactions when I talk about it, but after I show my racing equipment and some action pictures & Vids, they think it's kinda cool.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

good point, I will request his e-mail @ some point and share some links with him....maybe I will take my ST-rr to the meeting with me to show him, he sounded kind of young, so If i can impress him upon sight and sound, he may push the idea harder when he takes it to the executive director..........thanks for the reply man
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Showing him a vehicle in the flesh is a good idea. The ROAR insurance only works if you require everyone to be a ROAR member to race at the track. That does not work very well especially when you are trying to get a bunch of newbies to race.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

any ideas on what it costs? and what kind of coverage is actually needed? thanks everyone
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

TTT
Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Call him Friday.

My friend just opened a track in a public park this year so he should have some good info. His name is Dion Potter and owns Battlefield Raceway, try him at 423-280-6085 (cell)or at his Hobby Shop at 706-866-8540 EST. He's located on the TN, GA. line. His Dad is sick so if you can't reach him he may be in the hospital.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

will do......thanks man
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Good luck pwnzor... keep us posted as to your progress. I have a local park with a field in the rear that is never used except for some weekend drinkers that constantly dump their garbage all over the place. Maybe I can leverage what you're doing to get something in that location...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.