Community
Wiki Posts
Search

trinity platinum fuel?? how is it!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default trinity platinum fuel?? how is it!!

just got a gallon of 30% due to the fact my local shop didnt have anything else good and no time to stop anywhere else but havent used it yet, heard it has a 8% oil content compared to 12 in byrons , what feedback can you give me??
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Watch your engine tune. Make sure you don't overheat the engine cause engine damage is more likely in the event of a overheat situation when using fuels with low oil content.

If you want you can add a tablespoon or two of fuel grade castor oil to the gallon for piece of mind.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i ran it all summer and had no issues but i recently switched to byrons.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Hated platinum. At the end of the season, I had rust spots inside my motors. My engines ran hotter and performance gains were negligible. I switched over to O'donnells and Tornado. Now life is great!
I use platinum for removing graffiti and permanent marker in my classroom! It works great for that!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Unless your getting free engines on a weekly basis, I wouldnt' touch the stuff.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

I've used it for two seasons back to back and I didn't have any more engine wear or any signs of corrosion. I had plenty of power and actually like the fuel very much. It's not as easy to get where I moved, so I run a different fuel now, but I had a very good experience with this fuel.

As a side note, not all lubricant is the same, so comparing fuels based soley on the percentage of lubricant content is not wise. I have run lubricants as low as 4 percent in nitro engines and they would protect the engine better than some fuels that use 8 to 12 percent oil. It's a very misleading factor when considering which fuel you should buy. Some lubricants require far less volume to protect the engine than others. A sophisticated synthethic lubricant blend may only require 5-percent lubricant to compare to another brand that needs 10-percent lubricant to provide comparable protection. Another reason that you don't want to live and die by the advertised percentage of lubricant is that some fuels have their oil content measured by volume, others by weight. So, 10-percent oil by volume means 10-percent of your fuel bottle is oil. Some companies will market fuel with 10-percent oil BY WEIGHT. This method reduces the amount of oil in the fuel while techically still being 10-percent of something. It's a little deceptive and yet another reason not to hang too much on advertised oil content.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

While it is true what you say about how different fuel manufacturers blend their fuel differently, I think most consumers( myself included) would rather go by what it says on the bottle. Only a few would actually do some research to find out the complete fuel analysys.

I say just stick to the name brand "sport" and "Race" blends with 12%-16% oil, even for serious club racing. Most of the readily available fuels you find in most hobby shops are most likely made by either one of these quality fuel manufacturers..

Wildcat = Trinity, HPI
Byrons = Mugen
Morgan Fuels = Sidewinder, ??
Powermaster = Traxxas, ??

I've had good performance results from all of the brands mentioned above(including Odonnels and Blue Thunder) and I have had MANY episodes of overheating due to just plain having too much fun on the track and neglecting the tune/temps and I can happily say the higher oil blends definetly saved my engines(to a point). With a lower oil blend I probably wouldn't be as lucky.

BTW, isn't the Trinity Platinum the only store bought brand with less than 10% oil?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure where the Platinum fuel's poor reputation has come from. I've been running it exclusively for years, and it runs great. I've had no problems with premature engine wear, and I had better luck getting more power and fuel mileage at lower running temperatures than many of the other fuels I've run.

It is true that a lower oil content makes for a smaller window for error when tuning, but that's it.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Tried a gallon of 30% liked it!

BUT had two gallons of White Lighting 20% to use up!!!

Hoping to find a LHS that sells Blue Thunder HP8 30% which is basicly White Lighting 30% with a blue tint!!!!!!!!

IF not, I'll be looking for Platinum 30%.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone using this fuel now? I think that the recipe is different now then it used to be,oils or something.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Alot of us in Redding used to use platinum, myself included, and I couldn't tune my engine on it to save my life, and engine life was not very impressive bacause of it.pretty much everybody here is now running byrons, mostly the 8% oil mix, but myself and a few others run the 12% oil blend, since changing to byrons, my engine is quite a few gallons old and still runs like a champ, my temps are always good, my mileage rocks, and my engine holds a tune for a loooonnggg time on this stuff. I can't see myself changing from it unless somebody wants to sponsor me with fuel and engines
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I accidently forgot my Nitrotane 20% race, so my track had a quart of trinity plat 20% race. It ran ok, I only had to turn the needles a couple times to get a race tune, but it ran hot and the throttle response just wasnt as crisp as nitrotane. It just didnt feel right running that fuel, but then again im a losi guy!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

For all of you who have had problems.. I am willing to help you. If your at race, come up to me, I will let you try the fuel again and help you tune.. I have no problems tuning with the fuel, my engines run super cool, I have more runtime than ever, and I know multiple consumers who use the fuel that had engines that lasted between 8-9 gallons, including myself..

Also just because our fuel has lower oil content does not mean that there is less protection.

And those who say it produces rust.. I live in the north east and usually go 1-1.5 months without racing.. After my last race in November.. I dont even run my engine dry, there was still fuel in the tank.. Now I did empty the tank before running it again, but had zero issues..

I stand behind our product 100%

If you have any other questions, you can email me at [email protected]

thanks and god speed
Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trinity Platinum was my "go to" fuel since I started racing. If I couldn't get the fuel I was looking for, the LHS always had the Trinity. Never had any problems with it at all.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i run trinity %30 monster partly because of %12 lube...love it way more then byrons....and i wouldnt blame rust and any type of build up on fuel IMO it's more likely to be something else causing that then fuel brand...just my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.