Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engines and the Cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Engines and the Cold

So, I'm going to break in my HPI 3.0 engine now, using the heat cycle method.
It's getting cold here... 2°C/35°F.

I started it up once at home after warming with a blow dryer. It took awhile to start, so I imagine it's going to be really hard outside.

Any tips for starting in the cold?
I live in an apartment, so when I go out, I won't have a blow dryer to warm it up or anything.

What about after it's broken in? Will it be easier to start cold?

Any tips appreciated,
Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

keep the fuel warm, and keep using a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the block before starting...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, like I said, I live in an apartment. So, I'd have to start it up at home, then take it all the way downstairs to outside.

Then how do I start it out there? Are there any cordless heat guns?
or I would have to leave it running at all times, so it never gets cold, but I'm trying to heat-cycle it.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LONG extension cord, lol
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also, at what outside temperature would you say, starting becomes "normal" again.
Where you do not have to preheat the engine?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

A nitro engine will never be easy to start in the cold because the cylinder tightens as the weather gets colder - much more so than the piston because of the differences in the materials. So, heating it with a hair dryer will help, but over-cooling of the engine from too much cold air flowing will wear it out. Once you run in normal weather again, the fit between the piston and sleeve will be very loose. If you must run it in the cold weather, cut a piece of a sock or wrap some aluminum tape around the head to keep some heat in the engine. I've even seen an article where they cut some fins off the head for running in colder weather, then install a new head to run in normal weather conditions.

Last edited by rcg33k; 11-24-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

anything over 50 and you shouldnt have to worry about it being too cold.

I ran aluminum foil on my engines to help keep the heat in. that way the cold air wont shock it as much...
Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

You need to find one of those hairdryers that plug into a cigarette lighter. Would that be closer to where you drive your R/C?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's going up to 5°C/40°F tomorrow.
That's as warm as it's going to get for awhile here.

So, I think I'll try do all the breakin tomorrow.

I may just have to go up and down stairs to start/Run/Cool/Start again.

So, I've been reading that there could be a problem with breaking the engine in, in the cold.
When the summer comes around, there could be too much clearance of the Piston/Sleeve?

I have to keep it as warm as possible during break in and that way, it shoudn't be much of a problem. Right?
Wrap it with Tin Foil, etc...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by big chris
You need to find one of those hairdryers that plug into a cigarette lighter. Would that be closer to where you drive your R/C?
I don't have a car right now.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

being in the summer doesnt really have that big of an effect on the engines, thats why its easier to break them in, in the summer when its warm and its easy to start them and restart them
Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Woof
I don't have a car right now.
as long as you keep the engine in doors, and heat with a hair dryer for a good 5 mins, it should be good to start when you bring it outside (unless your 200 floors up) my hairdryers max heat is you can put your finger right up to the exhaust and you cant hold it there it kinda hurts... see if you can do that with yours.

i just broke in a LRP .28 zspec the other day, i had the engine in a cold garage by accident, and i heated it with a hairdryer and it started first crack, yours should too, no problem. my temp is also colder then you, I was running it in -1 °c, and the wind made it feel like -20

wrap tin foil around the head of the engine, and keep that tin foil on, theres no reason to take it off, you want the heat to stay in as long as possible, so bringing it inside, and leaving the tin foil on will guarantee it stays warm for at least 10 mins, which is perfect. if you let it sit outside, with no tin foil after running, it would cool in about 3 mins, and slowly ruin your engine.

make sure your glow plus is fully charged, im assuming you have the fuel inisde, and the engine too, so they should both be warm already.

also make sure to blow INTO the hose that hooks up from your gastank lid, to the muffler. take it off the muffler, and blow gently into it until fuel hits the carb (get 2 or 3 drops into the carb), and as long as its warm, the glow plug is charged, and fuels in the carb, you wont have ANY problems.

BTW, im assuming its a pullstart?? but we all know what happens when you assume...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good news. There is a power outlet right near one of the exits and a bench outside to setup on. Perfect.

I just ran it through 5 cycles. It runs pretty good, but will need some adjusting.