Wiki Posts
Search

RTR 8ight Fuel choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default RTR 8ight Fuel choice?

Hey, guys. So I'm getting an rtr 8ight my first nitro and I need to choose a fuel. So the first question is, who's a good fuel manufacturer? The only thing directly available to me (through my LHS) is Losi Nitrotane, but I'm open to mailorder fuel. Anything significantly better than Nitrotane?

So for a moment let's say I go with Losi Nitrotane. there are 3 blends:

1. 20%
2. 20% Race
3. 30% Race

So I understand I might as well use the least expensive 20% for break in.. but for club racing should I go with the 20% or 30%?

So two questions. What brand, and what blend? This will be used with the stock TL427 engine.

Thanks, guys.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

i got the losi 8 about 1 month ago and it is great with the acception of the servos. you will definetly need new sevos. i have the airtronics. i dont know what model they are but they were 120 dollors each.

the type of fuel that i use for my car is sidewinder racing fuel 20%. i used that for break in also.

now i am going to get the sidewinder racing fuel 30%.(after break in)

so far the car is awsome exept for the cvd pins and the screws on the bottom
of the car. take all of them out(one by one)and put lock tite on everything. screws tend to come lose on that car i dont know why

other than that you should be good

good luck
cya
Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I have plans to upgrade the servos definitely. Right now I have a JRz650 that I'll be using for steering, but I'll probably want something more like the 9000t and get a faster metal geared high torque for the throttle.

I plan to go through the entire car before I run it. Loctite everything, check the engine, probably put a better breathing air filter on.. that kind of thing.

Yeah, I think a lot of guys around here use the sidewinder fuel too. Have you had experience with other fuels? I'm sure the Losi Nitrotane isn't bad and the fact that the shop stocks it 3 miles from my house is nice.. I'll see if I can get a quart of 20% for break in and some 30% for racing.

-Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Byrons, Sidewinder and Nitrotane will all be good fuels for you. I would just break it in with the same fuel you will race with. 30% is what most people use for larger scales.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Good question.

The closest LHS to me also stocks the same Nitrotane. I also have a new 8ight RTR to break-in and wondered if that fuel was any good.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

So, it's safe to break in with 30% fuel? It has enough lubrication?

I've got a temp gauge so I'll definitely be keeping an eye at that.

Another question - What is a good operating temp for this engine and nitro engines in general?

so..

1. Is it safe to break in with 30%? If I choose to do this, anything I should watch out for?

2. What's a good operating temp? what's too cold, what's too hot?

-Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

There should be plenty of lube in these. During break in the engine should be rich so it will have plenty of lube.

After break in the engine should be runing between 200-250.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i break in all my engines on 30%...IMHO i would chose byrons race 3000 30%...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Werks 30% is good stuff as well.

I break in my motors with what i will use to race....this way your not chasing your tune around. Temps at break in should be around 200-220. with lots of smoke and oil...to insure good lube. after break in you should be tuning for power ans smoke not temp. Temp is a referance to get you in the ballpark, but some motors like to run at 200 all day long with stupid power, others don't make good power until 260. as long as your getting good smoke and power you should be fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by playboy
i got the losi 8 about 1 month ago and it is great with the acception of the servos. you will definetly need new sevos. i have the airtronics. i dont know what model they are but they were 120 dollors each.

the type of fuel that i use for my car is sidewinder racing fuel 20%. i used that for break in also.

now i am going to get the sidewinder racing fuel 30%.(after break in)

so far the car is awsome exept for the cvd pins and the screws on the bottom
of the car. take all of them out(one by one)and put lock tite on everything. screws tend to come lose on that car i dont know why

other than that you should be good

good luck
cya

Why you use 20% for break inn and then switch to race fuel ?, you dont need to use that, just take the same fuel you will be using and break the engine inn with that fuel ... the engines are not animals, dont need to treat soft on the break inn period with not so powerful fuel lol!

cya !