Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Novarossi 367 trouble >

Novarossi 367 trouble

Novarossi 367 trouble

Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Novarossi 367 trouble

I have trouble with my novarossi 367. After 2 gallons, the rear bearing broke apart. I did change it. But from this time I was not able the run the engine for more thant 1 minutes. FLAME OUT than FLAME OUT than FLAME OUT. No more idles. I sent it to Novarossi USA. And still waiting for. Jim from fusion motorsport toll me that I was not the only one to have this problem. Is there is other guys having the same troubles?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Talking

there is a lil controversy goin on with the 367 engines right now , at the moment they are not plug and play engines and require a lil work to make em run right did you look at the other 367 thread ?? you might get a lil more insight . they will run better with nov28001 turbo head button (not avail' yet, but jim will hook you up if you call him)and an odonnel 77t plug and 2 -.30 , 1-.10, 1-.04 head shimming , for a total of .74 after it has about 21/2-3 gallons on it , pull the .04 shim out . and also to be safe , put a boca 14.5mmx26mm steel bearing in it and you wont have any more bearing problems hopefully jim takes care of you and remember jims customer service is great as long as you are willing to work on a solution to the problem !!! he will be more than happy to help
later ,
monty
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
there is a lil controversy goin on with the 367 engines right now , at the moment they are not plug and play engines and require a lil work to make em run right did you look at the other 367 thread ?? you might get a lil more insight . they will run better with nov28001 turbo head button (not avail' yet, but jim will hook you up if you call him)and an odonnel 77t plug and 2 -.30 , 1-.10, 1-.04 head shimming , for a total of .74 after it has about 21/2-3 gallons on it , pull the .04 shim out . and also to be safe , put a boca 14.5mmx26mm steel bearing in it and you wont have any more bearing problems hopefully jim takes care of you and remember jims customer service is great as long as you are willing to work on a solution to the problem !!! he will be more than happy to help
later ,
monty
You might want to check your data. The turbo button for the 367 is from the 359 RACE. The part number is 28022 and is available. You can't but a Turbo 367, but you just order this head button and install it. As for the glowplugs, I wouldn't run the 7T plugs right now. You may be leaning it out to much with a & to get good power. I would run 6TC hot and re-adjust the mixture. As for the Boca Bearing, they don't have the bearing. If you look it up, it shows some bearings in the 367 size, but if you call them, they won't sell you those as engine bearings for nitro motors, unless something has changed in the last week since I have been there showing them the bearing. Also, the shimming should be fine, and if you add shims to a 2+ gallon engine, your making any issue you have worse. If any thing, remove the 0.10mm shim and add a 0.05mm shim, not add more shimming. You'll be dropping compression ,making flame out worse. I have run my 367 and had not issues at all.

If want try a setup, try this. Install the exhaust reducer in-between your engine and header, install the 7.5 carb restrictor, and intsall a 6TC glowplug, then retune. This set up is with the 9901 pipe.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

or you could just buy a RB
Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The team drivers can't even keep those rossi's lit right now.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

If you tune it right, and add the reducer, you shouldn't have any issues. I have never seen a bearing install cause flameouts unless it was reassembled wrong, there is a leak, or bad glowplug. Crap fuel too. My friend has an O.S. VXB that flameouts now, but everybody seesm to love that engine. O.S. is known for leaking at the carb boot.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
As for the Boca Bearing, they don't have the bearing. If you look it up, it shows some bearings in the 367 size, but if you call them, they won't sell you those as engine bearings for nitro motors, unless something has changed in the last week since I have been there showing them the bearing.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7094

Yes, it says it's for the plus 21-5. But if you check the bearing dimensions, bingo.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbine_au
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7094

Yes, it says it's for the plus 21-5. But if you check the bearing dimensions, bingo.
Look at the bearing, its a Kluber greased bearing that has the seals plucked out. Unless thats what they are recommending now. They didn't recommend anything on hand last week though, or maybe he was out of stock. But, go to their website and look up a 367 Buggy or Plus 35 engine. They have no bearings for it. As far as I know, they are getting the bearings made now or thay have some with the specs they sell for nitro engines. They are not expecting their ceramic bearing till next year, but I will find out maybe tomorrow what they got. They also don't have or can't get the original front double sealed bearing. They will tell you to leave both seals in on the bearing they sell, but thats thats not what the original is. Its a double sealed bearing on one side, not both. But, if I'm not mistaken, this is done purposely, as the original bearings have a patent on them from Novarossi, so they cannot make or sell the exact same designed bearing.

Last edited by ezveedub; 11-19-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Why novarossi sell engine that are not '' PLUG AND PLAY'' like you say $. If you have to put and other 100 to 150 $ to make them work plus the cost of the the engine ''550$'' . What is the deal ? I will not spend and other 150$ to have the pleasure to say that ''I RUN AN NOVAROSSI 367 !!! ''

I am still wating still waiting for news from Fusion motorsport.... I sent a letter to jim to know what is going on with my engine.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Luc252
Why novarossi sell engine that are not '' PLUG AND PLAY'' like you say $. If you have to put and other 100 to 150 $ to make them work plus the cost of the the engine ''550$'' . What is the deal ? I will not spend and other 150$ to have the pleasure to say that ''I RUN AN NOVAROSSI 367 !!! ''

I am still wating still waiting for news from Fusion motorsport.... I sent a letter to jim to know what is going on with my engine.
What are you spending $100-$150 on? It comes with air filters & elbow, 5 glowplugs, an exhaust reducer, 3 carb restrictors & a three chamber EFRA 9901 pipe and replacement front & rear bearings. You either run a short or long smooth header and tune it. This engine can be configured to run differently with all the parts given and if you combine the incorrect parts together, you will have issues. Anyway, let us know what Jim tells you about your engine.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

You look like some one who know the storie ??? isn't it...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ezveedub
You might want to check your data. The turbo button for the 367 is from the 359 RACE. The part number is 28022 and is available. You can't but a Turbo 367, but you just order this head button and install it. As for the glowplugs, I wouldn't run the 7T plugs right now. You may be leaning it out to much with a & to get good power. I would run 6TC hot and re-adjust the mixture. As for the Boca Bearing, they don't have the bearing. If you look it up, it shows some bearings in the 367 size, but if you call them, they won't sell you those as engine bearings for nitro motors, unless something has changed in the last week since I have been there showing them the bearing. Also, the shimming should be fine, and if you add shims to a 2+ gallon engine, your making any issue you have worse. If any thing, remove the 0.10mm shim and add a 0.05mm shim, not add more shimming. You'll be dropping compression ,making flame out worse. I have run my 367 and had not issues at all.

If want try a setup, try this. Install the exhaust reducer in-between your engine and header, install the 7.5 carb restrictor, and intsall a 6TC glowplug, then retune. This set up is with the 9901 pipe.
listen dub , i know alot about these wonderful nitro engines we run and you should read my post again , i said nothing about adding shims to an already 2 gallon engine , i said remove them when they get 2 1/2 -3 gal on them
as far as Boca steel bearings they are a great bearing and i trust the bearing you say is "not for rc engines" more than i trust tko 14.5x26 ceramic , its just that size cause i have had great luck with every other tko bearingand by the way , most all plus series engines have the same 14.5 x 26mm rear main bearing !!! i'm not on here to impress ,just to help , if you want it take it , if you dont thats cool too i have experimented and ruined more engines than most of you will own in your lifetime of rc and figured out alot of tricks to make nova engines run the way i want and my locals want them to run ; pipes , headers , clutches , bearings , carbs , fuels , plugs , head shimming , aftermarket heads vs. stock heads you name it anyway , have fun and happy motoring
later ,
monty

as for the head button , call jim hottinger about that , he has the button nov28011 !!!

Last edited by houston; 12-02-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Houston, is the Plus 5k case like the 7 port plus? Ive got a standard plus-5 with a crack, and knew you would know the answer.

Sorry guy's thought i was in the Plus 5 thread.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Prophet

you can still use the plus 21-5 k case for the plus 21-7 but no they are not the same . i would have to check out the 7 port sleeves in the 21-5k case to see if the design of the k case allows the sleeve ports to line up with fuel flow properly or not . ill get back to ya soon i will have to go in the basement and do some work !!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks buddy, Ill see ya in the Plus 5 tread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.