Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default lipo receiver packs

just want to find out what everyone thinks of them thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

For me, I'm sticking with NiMH. Simple and and gets the job done. I don't want to deal with Voltage suppressors, balancers, and having my garage burned down.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Just want to comment on Lipo safety, I have seen one NiMh battery blow up, but no Lipo Batterys blow, and over the internet I have only heard of NiMh batterys blowing never have I heard of a lipo non intentionaly blowing. And you can always use fireproof containers for charging and storing.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

i run a maxamps 2200 with tamiya j style (not std) connector and use the new losi regulator on my gt. I had to splice in a tamiya style connector but normally you wouldn't need to if you order the battery with the proper connector in the first place. but i haven't had any problems. works great, plenty of power the biggest thing is getting the battery secure in this older car. since these aren't like the nimh's shape there isn't a natural holding point on the battery. newer vehicles don't have this issue really with the battery cases. definitely shouldn't have to worry about those long mains with double the capacity.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I left a lipo in my buggy with the switch on overnight after a racenight. Went to work and when I got home I checked if I turned off the switch. I didn't but the battery just bulged a little. Only bad part is the battery is no longer useable. Receiver lipo packs have low output I don't think there is anything to worry about. A plus for lipos is that your voltage stays constant throughout a race. With a regulator it will maintain 6 volts from the start of a 30 minute main till the end. Whereas NIMH voltage will drop over time and your servo technically will be slower towards the end of the race. Don't know if ever noticed it when I used NIMH.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like mine...took about 3/4 to 1 ounce off counting the voltage regulator. HT brand. I too killed one this summer leaving it on for a week. Just sucked that I had to scramble to get one before the weekend
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I won't run anything but a 6.5v regulated li-po RX pack.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
I won't run anything but a 6.5v regulated li-po RX pack.
Especially if you run two digital servos. It's the way to go.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SKOT
Especially if you run two digital servos. It's the way to go.
And I do. An Ace DS1313 & DS1015
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I and a few other people have noticed problems with running Lipos with a DSM or FASST system. For some reason my radio was either jumping into fail safe mode or just plain shutting off during the race.

I continued to use it and the problem went away. The next weekend I ran a 45 minute main with no problems.

I talked with Scott Brown at Tacoma RC Raceway and he said some National level drivers were having the same problem and stopped using the Lipos.

I'm sure this could have several reasons including the brand and type of regulator you are using. But just wanted to give a heads up that the issue seems to be out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm currently running 2 pro-tek regulators paired with common sense 1500mah lipo's in both my truggy/buggy and I've had no fail-safe issues with my 3pk/FASST combo at all. In fact, the only way to kick in the failsafe is to run my lipo pack down till it sets off the voltage fail-safe of my FASST receiver (around 5.1 volts) with no run away. However, the pack is smoked after that (Don't ask me how I know).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm not completely sure its the failsafe - it almost appears to just lose binding with the radio or cause interferance.

I'm using the Pro-Tek regulator as well. The issue could be the type of regulator I am using and the amount of voltage it is regulating. I noticed there are many different types.

Radio issues just bug me and I know the standard reciever pack works ok.

I'll continue to use the Lipos once I determine the problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I run them on my Jammin Cr and CRT and recomend them... they work great, no sag and constant voltage...

Oh and dont leave them plugged in even with the switch off.. the regulator draws a little power for some reason..
Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KThatcher
I run them on my Jammin Cr and CRT and recomend them... they work great, no sag and constant voltage...

Oh and dont leave them plugged in even with the switch off.. the regulator draws a little power for some reason..

Connect your regulator to the switch on the same side as the receiver then from the switch to the battery. That way as long as the switch is off the regulator LED cannot draw volts from the battery because the switch is wired in between the regulator and the battery..

I have been running the HT lipos and the Much More regulator in my truggy which has digital servos, my steering servo is 400 oz. With NIMH pack when I got half way through a race if I had to hit the breaks and steer at the same time there was not enough voltage to power both servos. Running lipo is hands down the best thing I have done in a while, I see absolutely zero loss in performance even at the end of a 30 minute main. My truggy feels the same at the end as it did at the start of the race. If you run power hungry high torque servos then lipo is your best investment.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Been running lipos for over a year now...LRP 1500 with Sanwa VZ/WX servos and spektrum pro.

I did try it with the 6v regulator initially but the servos felt very slow...So..

DO NOT TRY THIS! (unless you are sure!)

I now run the the LRP Lipo 1500 without the regulator! Have done so for over a year and no problems what so ever!

With the increased voltage of the lipos the servos are amazingly fast and consistant throughout a final.

As an example.....if you charge a NiMH RX pack fully and put it on your car the servos are noticeably faster at the beginning of the race and then the speed drops alot in the middle to the end of the race.

I checked the NiMH's after coming off the peak charger at 1 amp and they were pushing over 7.5 volts.

The Lipo's were about 8 volts immediately after charging at 1 amp.

I tried lipos directly in on some old sanwa servos and they seemed to run fine, so I just thought what the heck and run them in this years car (Kyosho MP777 WC)with new sanwa servos without the regulator. No problems to report.

I think I read on the Spektrum website their pro reciever can take up to 9.6 volts so thats where I thought maybe the servos could do that!

Please bear in mind that this is not what manufacturers recommend. They advise running lipos with a 6 volt regulator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.