R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8 buggie (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/190428-1-8-buggie.html)

6racer 11-11-2007 08:12 PM

1/8 buggie

hello all.. ima n00bie here sorta, ive been outa the rc game fora bout 6 years now.. raced on road electric back in the day, anyways.. i been seeing these 1/8 buggies and i really like them, i want to get started into them and was wondering what is a good rtr 1/8 buggy, with good after market support.. fun on the track for practice or screwing around or even the eventual race on the weekends, and also when i do find the rtr kit i like or what ever what are some good stuf i need to go with it. . tools or what not's.. thanks guys!

Nick

petevette 11-11-2007 08:23 PM

I always recommend to go to a local RC track and see what most of the people are running. There are a lot of good buggies out there such as they Hyper 8.5, Jammin, Losi 8, Mugen MBX 5R, Xray and of course the new RC8. They are all real good buggies, but your gonna need help to set it up. Also, if you break at the track you may be able to buy a backup part or borrow a part from someone if they have the same car. I recently went from the Mugen to the RC8 and I love that car. It handles great and is very quick since it is light. Has great steering too. The car comes assembled you will just have to add the electronics and engine and your ready to go. You will need the basic like fuel bottle, bump starter, basic tools and a receiver pack. Don't buy the tools until you buy your car so you can buy tools specifically for your car. OFNA makes a great set of hex tip drivers, (4 tips and a handle) that fits almost every screw on many different cars. In my case it is perfect for the RC8. The hex tips are only about 25 bucks so it is reasonable. Good luck on your quest and welcome to 1/8 off road racing. Your gonna have a lot of fun!

Jason Halvorson 11-11-2007 08:42 PM

if it has to be and RTR i would look into the hyper 8 or the losi 8 lots of aftermarket support, and will run very strong out of the box...

rabidsquirrel 11-12-2007 02:00 AM

Hyper 8.5 RTR is cheap and highly competitive. Easy to upgrade to a Pro Kit with parts being dirt cheap on Ebay.

Very durable. Just upgrade the RTR servos and engine when you are able.

Awesome buggy!

:nod:

madcat 11-12-2007 07:02 AM

There's too many new buggy out there with low price like HoBao 8.5 RTR or Caster ZX-1 Pro ( kit), with all of choices i get confuse :confused:. Which one is the most durable ( very low parts wear) and powerful one? because i don't have much money to spent, somebody, please help me :cry:

Drew Manzella 11-12-2007 08:22 AM

Losi 8 RTR
Kyosho Inferno MP777 Sport RTR
Ofna RTR

In that order . . .

I don't believe you will notice much difference in the 3 when messing around but based on my 20 years of being in the hobby that is the order in which you will probably find the best local parts support.

rltanner 11-12-2007 08:25 AM

VTX B1 fun buggy easy to tune great price i love mine

Black 11-12-2007 10:21 AM

+1 on the Caster buggy.

6racer 11-12-2007 11:53 AM

and also what other stuff will i prob need other then the basics.. like a starter box? and stuff like that or, arethe rtr's mostly pull start? and also what about radio's are the rtr's a good 1 or should i mostly upgrade that stuff also.. thanks again

Nick

razzor 11-12-2007 12:48 PM

+2 on the Casterracing :)
Great value for money and awesome performance.

DOMIT 11-12-2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6racer (Post 3857864)
and also what other stuff will i prob need other then the basics.. like a starter box? and stuff like that or, arethe rtr's mostly pull start? and also what about radio's are the rtr's a good 1 or should i mostly upgrade that stuff also.. thanks again

Nick

RTR = Ready To Replace.

Some of the RTR's come with solidly built radios, but with limited features. A good example of that is the Spektrum DX2 (not 2.0) that comes with some of them. It doesn't have exponential functions.

The servos in most RTR's won't live very long.

The engines are both too big to be legal (most are .25 to .28 rather than the legal limit of .21) AND less powerful than the "good" engines. If you are going to race, you won't pass tech except perhaps on the local club race level... they usually don't care.

Most are pull start, but rather than an advantage that is a potential failure point. Get a bump-start engine and starter box. It is worth the extra investment.

Most RTR's have thinner shock towers, often lower quality components in other areas.

I went this route, I just HAD to learn the hard way... go buy a good quality car, a decent engine, and a decent radio.

For the radio you can get a good quality used one with more features for less than you think- a lot of guys just HAVE to buy the latest gear, so they sell off the older stuff cheap. I bought my M8 with the Spektrum module for $70 used, and it is great. (didn't include a receiver.)

Find the car you want, then look for a used one in good condition if you are pinching pennies... but have someone that knows 1/8 scale buggies to look it over for you. A worn out car isn't worth the hassle... there are deals to be had, but there are also headaches if you aren't careful.

You don't have to buy the baddest engine on the block... there are some good 3-ports out there for less than $150... Novarossi comes to mind, and they are top-quality engines. Go is an inexpensive and and apparantly reliable brand. The lower-end OS engines have a pretty limited lifespan, but they are cheap and easy to tune...

paulj2 11-12-2007 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 6racer (Post 3857864)

Nick

I have a Mugen MBX5R with motor, servos, spare parts, extra wheels and tires and starter box. All good quality. PM me if you are interested.

Paul

ehartman_49348 11-12-2007 04:43 PM

+1 on the VTX-B1

If you do want to race the car, I would recommend:
Upgraded Radio
.21 Racing Engine /w pipe
Optional Billet suspension Parts

Team VTX is coming out with a Race Roller, which does not come with electronics and radio. It will still require the billet suspension parts to make it even more durable, but does come with CF radio tray.

rltanner 11-12-2007 06:37 PM

Whats up Edwin long time no talk what you been up to been racing much

6racer 11-12-2007 09:07 PM

ok lets say i wanted to get the losi eight non rtr.. should i get the race roller or the other 1 so i can build it. meanin if i build it i will know more about the car? from what i been reasearchin here. i think i like the losi 8ight.. i dunno if i want to rtr or not.. but im cheap so i might go that route,