Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Picking Sons First Buggy kit >

Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Me too. I'm on the original diff housing and I have almost 5 gallons on my car. I haven't even touched my diffs since I built the car (though I am going to re-oil them soon).
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yup i am just making up stuff. noone buys whole kits to replace worn parts on a losi. its cheaper and better and has the highest grade parts you can get.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Suspended

I'm sure you're not making it up. You probably built your car horribly like so many others who cry and complain have.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

lol i dont have a losi
Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Exactly. So why are you talking shit about a car you've never owned or driven in the first place?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nay0k
Exactly. So why are you talking shit about a car you've never owned or driven in the first place?
driven 5 losi's at least pit with several every week, one of my better friends owned the buggy as well we winterized our cars at the same time same place and WE TALK (also know a couple that started with a losi and ended up with a hyper 8 and another got a mugen) . i also drove before i bought the car as well. had a prospect and tried the losi..if i would of liked it better dont you think i would have saved some cash? we also have team drivers 2 of which are going to the ifmar worlds (qualified) and i watch what they do to their cars for every run.....qualifier and or main. we have SEVERAL (not just one or two) replace their cars. also i bought my R new bought my engines new bought my radio new......it is not like i walked in blindly like it seems you are suggesting. i also never really said it was a bad car until i got accused of it then i was just ribbing you for a good all cars require their own routine of cleaning and so forth. i dont have leaky diffs i dont have to re shim up my diffs all i do is make sure it sets right and clean it. also with the stuff i have done to my buggy (i made it lighter) it should also make it weaker and still have not broken anything other than shock ends and 2 of those were from clipping a wall lol.

Last edited by mugenlife; 12-31-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Yea it all started for me because the Losi guys did specify the cars they beat(Xray and Mugen which are champion proven cars) instead of talking in general.Those guys are the ones who really started it by talkin trash about someone else's car when there own obviuosly has several problems to be fixed.So before you jump on someone else's car you need to fix yours first and leave the others out unless you have unbiased opinions.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

How about all buggies do the same thing, some people prefer a particular brand and stick to it some try all knids of brands.
They all have their pros and cons and all have been beaten by another at some point.
Stop going on about it because it is going nowhere like this thread!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BOOST
How about all buggies do the same thing, some people prefer a particular brand and stick to it some try all knids of brands.
They all have their pros and cons and all have been beaten by another at some point.
like i started it!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

What are you, 5??
Grow up!!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Man listen to you guys, you think he might have already picked something and you lot are just wasting words on sticking up for your own personal preference. This thread is going nowhere FAST!
Mugenlife has no life. I am however on my first centre diff housing after a years worth of racing and bmx tracks. I am meticilous at maintainance so that is in my favour. In saying that I do need a new one now.
Mugenlife loves his precious mugen so much he gets all worked up about it, sad little man!!!
What are you, 5??
Grow up!!
Just remember Losi is shit just like u deal with it or go somewere else
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mugenlife
driven 5 losi's at least pit with several every week, one of my better friends owned the buggy as well we winterized our cars at the same time same place and WE TALK (also know a couple that started with a losi and ended up with a hyper 8 and another got a mugen) . i also drove before i bought the car as well. had a prospect and tried the losi..if i would of liked it better dont you think i would have saved some cash? we also have team drivers 2 of which are going to the ifmar worlds (qualified) and i watch what they do to their cars for every run.....qualifier and or main. we have SEVERAL (not just one or two) replace their cars. also i bought my R new bought my engines new bought my radio new......it is not like i walked in blindly like it seems you are suggesting. i also never really said it was a bad car until i got accused of it then i was just ribbing you for a good all cars require their own routine of cleaning and so forth. i dont have leaky diffs i dont have to re shim up my diffs all i do is make sure it sets right and clean it. also with the stuff i have done to my buggy (i made it lighter) it should also make it weaker and still have not broken anything other than shock ends and 2 of those were from clipping a wall lol.
You've never owned a Losi though, right? You don't have room to talk, seriously. Sorry but watching your idiot friends buy whole kits doesn't mean the car wears out parts fast even, nor does it mean you have experience working on the car.

If you don't hate the car, then why are you talking shit about it? Wouldn't that constitute that you don't like the car at all? Idiot.

FYI, I never had to ANY work on my diffs for the first 4 gallons because I built them right THE FIRST TIME. As far as durability goes, during a heat at a trophy race in the summer I was knocked off the track towards the end of the straightaway. The car must have flipped 10x while hitting the ground before crashing into a tractor. To my surprise though, the marshal just picked up my car and put it back on the track, and I finished the heat. That said more than enough to me about how durable the car really is.

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
Just remember Losi is shit
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

In my original post I said I didn't want to offend anyone... That isn't the case because this sort of thing happens all the time when talking to Mugen and Xray drivers about LOSI. They really think their shit don't stink, but everyone knows that LOSI is the leader in wins, sales and public interest. Why do you think Xray is trying out a new prototype buggy and Mugen is considering a #6th version. LOSI has been developing RC cars for over 25yrs. How long has Mugen or Xray? These two manufacturers know that LOSI is the elite and are just trying to keep up!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LMAO @ this "Threads Gone WILD" candidate!

Silly flamers, everyone KNOWS that the Hyper 8.5 Pro eats Losi, Kyoshos, and Mugens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

JUST KIDDING - Unbunch your panties right here...

cfish8u2 said: With that said you really could go with any of them. Most all of the main rides out there are solid. Some things to consider in your choice.

Kyosho - I put them at the top because this is probably the most popular brand. Because of that though it comes with a higher price. Both the kit and the parts tend to be higher than other brands.

Mugen - Probably the second most well known brand. Parts are fair but I do see a fair amount of arms/pillow balls pull out of these guys. Very solid buggy though all around.

Jammin - Excellent value kit comes with all the goodies. Parts are reasonable and a very competitive ride. One of the best value rides there are. Car is durable and hooked up good for a beginner.

Team Losi - Probably the hottest thing on the planet right now because of all the wins by Truhe and Drake. Surpriseingly strong although when I first looked at it I thought will this thing hold up. Parts are reasonable and seem very available.

Associated - The newest or most recently released. I don't know a ton about this car but I must truthfully say what I have seen hasn't been that promissing. I would buy this ride only when they have worked out all of the kinks. Losi went through the same thing. Any new release has updates so that doesn't make this ride a bad one just not one to purchase at the moment. I did hear they have a care package coming though.

XRAY - Parts seem to be always an issue although this is one of my more favorite for fit and finish. Those xray guys build really nice stuff.

I don't know enough about some of the less known brands so I won't comment either way but there are others: Crono, CEN, OCM, Hot Boddies, SportWerks and many more.

A couple closing thoughts. As to parts buy an extra kit if you can as it is easier than buy all the parts one by one. Also if you can afford to stock enough spares then parts or lack of finding them is not as much of an issue. Amain Hobbies is a great source for parts. They usually have what you need including some of the less known brands.

As to my suggestion as to what to drive. First let me say I run Losi, so let's get that out of the way. I came from Kyosho primarily but have had an Xray, driven many Jammin buggies as well as Mugen. Driven one RC8.

If your son is new I would initially steer away from the RC8 or Losi 8 buggies. Yes I know I drive Losi but both the 8 buggies are very sensitive and aggressive. Probably not the best for the novice. You can't go wrong with kyosho but it comes with the Red Army price. Mugen is great in the bumps because of the pillow ball setup, but I don't like how they seem to break there. Again xray has probably the best quality parts of the lot. At the very least some of the best finish, however finding those great parts is just too much of a hassle in my book. So my choice for you if it were me would be the Jammin. It is a great value and a very competitive car. It is forgiving to drive as well. parts are seemingly always around and Nitrohouse.com or again Amain have everything you need in just about a day or two away.

Once he improves though I would bump him into a Losi. Simply put it is the fastest thing on the planet at the moment. If you really drive the car and don't rely just on throttle you'll be greatly rewarded. However the problem is most young guys grab a handful every time hence again why I don't suggest this ride out of the gate.
I would insert the Hyper 8.5 Pro kit right in there with the Jammin'. The Hyper favors/encourages a good deal more finesse than the Jammin', but it is almost equally as forgiving to novices (The older version - Hyper 8 - isn't! The new 8.5 is much improved). Durability is the same for the Hyper 8.5 (It has average to above average parts quality, IMO), maintenance costs are slightly higher in terms of time (Relative to the Jammin' - definitely much less than a Losi, per se), but parts costs are about as cheap as it gets and widely available compared to all other brands. Ho Bao (And the US distributer, OFNA), seem to be more committed to pushing the Hyper series in the US for 2008. I'm expecting more factory backed Hyper 8.5 and ST racing in the US market for 2008... Best of all, the Hyper 8.5 Pro has proven itself highly capable of winning major events (Euro World Champ 2007). I really do believe that this car is one of the best bangs for you buck out there, especially for novices. It has its issues for sure - I.e. it isn't perfect, don't get me wrong! But, it has so many positives outwaying the relatively few negatives, IMHO, that I don't hesitate in recommending it to folks. What I'd like to see improvements on is Factory support (Online and factory presence at US races). Let's be honest, the US support for the product has mostly SUCKED when compared to how other manufacturers support and market related products in the US. There are some key individuals (Rob @ Nitrohouse; OFNA Forums) online that are a treasure trove of information on the car and extremely willing to help Hyper 8/8.5 Pro owners out (I'm also willing to help, but I don't claim to have the quality of information that some of these other cats I'm referring to have on the Hyper; however, I direct people to these 'experts' whenever possible).

Getting a Losi is like dating a supermodel or buying a Ferrari. They are really fast where it counts, but are also 'handfulls' and much higher maintenance, if you will... If you and your son are willing to put in the time and effort to stay on top of a Losi, then by all means, get one.

The Xray and Mugens are probably the most 'trouble-free' in terms of parts wear and tear. Next would be the Hyper 8.5 Pro and Jammin'. I don't know enough about the Kyosho to make a guess in this dept, it could be better for all I know. All my comments are based upon what I've seen with my own beady little squirrel eyes... ;=

Like we've all kind of said, there are many factors:

Speed / Competitiveness
Drivability / Ease of use
Durability / Maintenance Costs
Parts Availability
Average Costs
Bling / Part of the Herd
Manufacturer's Support (Commitment to the product - Long-term)

One just needs to do some introspective work and list these factors in his/her order of importance...

As you may have figured out, I'm a Hyper 8.5 Pro fan, but I'd have you know that I'm also a 1/8th Buggy Fan that promotes any product that 'works' and is competitive. That being said, there is no better time to be in the market for an 1/8th Scale Buggy, my friends. There really aren't many bad choices out there! There are only good choices by and large, and what it comes down to is which choice is the best for YOU! YOU have to establish your own priorities when it comes to choosing your future rig, then YOU must do some research to determine which is best!

Part of this effort will conist of wading through this festering mass of Intarweb B.S.

The cat who started this thread needs to get back on here and declare what he actually bought his son (for Christmas?)!

That way, we can begin the crucifiction! (Just kidding... Kind of! LOL)

Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel
LMAO @ this "Threads Gone WILD" candidate!
LOL, very ture!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.