Wiki Posts
Search

Boiling MBX5R Parts, need info

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Boiling MBX5R Parts, need info

I have heard of people doing this so they are more resilient. How long do you guys boil them for?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I have heard of people doing this so they are more resilient. How long do you guys boil them for?
15 minutes!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

so if u do this they are stronger?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Means that they'll flex slightly more and be more forgiving in a crash

Chaz
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't understand why you all boil parts. That is retarded, this car is built like a tank like every other 1/8. If you are breaking arms every week, no matter what the car, you need to try another class that is slower because breaking crap only only makes it more frustrating for you, which in the end, you stop all together with r/c. Do yourself a favor and start slow!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by o.s. power
I don't understand why you all boil parts. That is retarded, this car is built like a tank like every other 1/8. If you are breaking arms every week, no matter what the car, you need to try another class that is slower because breaking crap only only makes it more frustrating for you, which in the end, you stop all together with r/c. Do yourself a favor and start slow!
so thats why the jammin team boiled there plastics for the nats in canada this year, cause they needed to start slower or change classes....
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

boiling is useless, you aren't changing any chemical or physical properties of the plastic. The shit is molded at 700+ degrees, boiling it at 212 for a few minutes is a waste of time.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I can't see boiling the MBX5(R) plastics. The Kyosho & Mugens are tanks! I have arms for both cars, and they have some scars from hitting stuff, but no play or broken arms. You got to plow these things into a concrete wall IMO to break them off. I change more metal parts than plastic on these cars. Now Ofna may have brittle plastic, and I heard of X1CR guys fitting the Kyosho plastics to them, so don't take the Ofna guys boiling parts is going to help you on a MBX5R.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Ofna parts are bomb proof. I can't understand all this BS about breaking parts and brittle plastics. I've given my X1 CR the toughest time (I started racing 2 1/2 years ago, and I didn't start slow, hehehe).

I've had all kinds of crashes, flips, summersaults, even hit a concrete curb coming full blast (sideways) of a big jump....nothing!!

The only piece I've managed to break, is a front upper arm turn-bucle, when I ran into the guy in front of me going full throttle, 'cause he breaked 10 ft. before time at the end of a long straight. And that was the RTR version!!!

How some people manage to break these tanks is a mystery to me....

The idea about boiling is it makes plastics more flexible, but I doubt it really works. At least I don't use it, don't need it.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Jammin Team in Canada probably boiled their stuff because they were in Canada.........and it was really cold.....which makes ALL plastice parts brittle and likely to break.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeller
The Jammin Team in Canada probably boiled their stuff because they were in Canada.........and it was really cold.....which makes ALL plastice parts brittle and likely to break.
yes thats what cain is getting at...it gets cold where we live, and he was wondering if boiling the plastics would help...
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As far as the X1CR, three of my friends have them, but on one of them the arms are distorted. I don't know what the hell happened to it, but I haven't seen that on my MBX5 or Mp777 WC. I have other guys I know at the track say X1CR's are tanks too. I don't know if boiling them may have distorted the arms, but I still don't recommend it.

Last edited by ezveedub; 11-09-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
As far as the X1CR, three of my friends have them, but on one of them the arms are distorted. I don't know what the hell happened to it, but I haven't seen that on my MBX5 or Mp777 WC. I have other guys I know at the track say they are tanks too. I don't know if boiling them may have distorted the arms, but I still don't recommend it.
I don't trust these method, I think due to the heat, it will render the parts out of it's original shape. just my $0.02.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just wash your car off with hot water at the end of the day and spray it down with WD-40 and your arms will soften up naturally.
Best of all, and the best hop-up you can possibly do FOR ANY CAR, is practice !!
If you don't crash you won't break . Best part ,it's free!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a savage x and my grandpa wanted to try so I let him he did full throttle or around 40 mph into a brick wall nothing but a dent in the composite stock a arm thats it, with no boiling, never boiled no nead. I even did it starting out when it was cold same thing little dent same arm, the arms are pretty dented but no brakes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.