Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MBX6

Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
No prob, I understand. But its kinda hard to argue, "its your setup". If any car over steer, under steer, or what ever the case maybe, jus blindly say, "its your setup" and your right...
hey you doent have to tell me, i agree with you...its just hard to get that to some of the guys that have strong opinions...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Ok, since the mbx6 will not be coming out no time soon, can you guys convince me to upgrade to the "R" Suspension? I currently have the Prospec...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Ok, since the mbx6 will not be coming out no time soon, can you guys convince me to upgrade to the "R" Suspension? I currently have the Prospec...
yes i highly recomend it...you will turn ALOT better and have more up travel..also i beleave you will shed a lil weight...not sure 100% on the weight part, just what ive been told...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

If it were me personally I would just buy an x5r kit. Unless your current buggy is already in great shape then I could see your point in upgrading. I had just ran a jammin x1 buggy for a season before I received my x5r kit. The x5r would be my third mugen buggy and by far the best. Both my standard x5 and prospec were excellent cars in quality and performance. So much traction and so stable through the rough, way easier for me to drive. Now with the R buggy I still cannot believe that for what changes have been made how much better and faster the car is. The first day I hit the track a couple of friends were watching me turn some laps and there first comments were "damn, that car has some steering!" I was very satisfied with my jammin buggy but for me the mugen stepped it up a notch. All the racers in my region with there new cars, and big shocks, extreme ring and pinion gearing, etc, my buggy can crank out the same laps if not faster. Mugen is very elite and will not fall behind in the buggy competition, so whatever is in store for the future should be really good.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
im tryin gto understand your post...so what you are saying is that the mugen is a good car for beginners because it has lots of adjustments and setup possabilities??? wont that just confuse and over welm a beginner??? i know when i started into rc i didnt like that kind of stuff, cause i didnt understand it...

also domit stated that he feels the mugen is a good beginner buggy because its stable, but then went on to say that he doesnt have the skill to drive it fast...call me weird but i think a beginner would not want a car that needs alot of skill to drive...
what buggies have less adjustments? only thing i can think off off hand that the mugen has more of is the oval hinge pin fittings.....all buggies down to an ofna ultr lx have camber, toe in, toe out suspension settings....all be it the mugen is nicer it is also my first type of nitro buggy (2 prospecs and now an R)
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM

I think the R has as much steering as the other buggies it reacts quick as well, it is much faster and easier to drive that the Prospec.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

My Prospec is in real good shape and handles pretty well to me. She is not ready to retire yet. That is why I was just thinking upgrade to the "R" suspension instead of buying a brand new kit. Also, I can get the upgraded suspension for the "R" for $204, no tax and shipped free.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Mugen has 4-5 caster and 3 wheelbase adjustments in the front. Most cars have two caster choices and no wheelbase adjustments. You can also adjust front width with the pillowballs. Rear a arm is also adjustable wheelbase. Also you can adjust rear roll center at the camber link and the rear hinge pin holder. There are about 10 rear toe-in blocks to choose from. There are also 4 front kickup options. Antisquat has 3 positions not counting the effect of the -1 toe blocks.

This is all included in the kit. The only car that comes close on the sheer number of adjustments is the Xray. Luckily most of the adjustments on the Mugen are not necessary once you have it setup the way you like. I only make small tuning changes now.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Love the mugen! Can't wait to see what they bring out next year.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
The Mugen has 4-5 caster and 3 wheelbase adjustments in the front. Most cars have two caster choices and no wheelbase adjustments. You can also adjust front width with the pillowballs. Rear a arm is also adjustable wheelbase. Also you can adjust rear roll center at the camber link and the rear hinge pin holder. There are about 10 rear toe-in blocks to choose from. There are also 4 front kickup options. Antisquat has 3 positions not counting the effect of the -1 toe blocks.

This is all included in the kit. The only car that comes close on the sheer number of adjustments is the Xray. Luckily most of the adjustments on the Mugen are not necessary once you have it setup the way you like. I only make small tuning changes now.
outside of euro set ups for flatter tracks with sweeps how far off from the hughes set up is anything though really? the only part adjusting i have done in the year and a half is mess with is the front rear blocks going from 0,-1,-2 and the rear from 3 to 2 with 2.75,2.5 and 2.25 in between. only HUGE diff you will get is changing the front rear from 0 to -2 for on power steering and since i tried it i never use -2 usually 0 unless im TOTALLY hooked up. going from a base like HUGHES you make very small adjustments. only difference between mine and hughes is rear camber link positions, added anti bump steer spacers and wing position.... outside of your basic set up you still have the same adjustments that ANY other car has and if your car doesn't have a wheel base adjustment or needs more its pretty basic to do. we do/did it in 10th scale electric for years....only way you cant set up a car is if you lack patience, lack feel (that would be a whole other arguement lol) or dont have any idea where you started from....
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not saying the car is hard to set up. I am saying a newbie could get lost with all the settings if he is on his own.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
I'm not saying the car is hard to set up. I am saying a newbie could get lost with all the settings if he is on his own.
I think for a newbie, their are a few setups sheets on the Mugenracing website they can follow. After that, they can play with what they want.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Hmmm... Ok, I'll agree with "Tuff as a rock" and "Jumps well." "Handles well... "hmmm... sometimes, sometimes not. "Turns well..." That's relative. Most cars out there have more steering than the Mugen.

Here's what I experienced with the Mugen:

It is VERY stable and forgiving. That's why I said it is a great beginner car. Also, in the right hands, it can be VERY fast. It is that middle ground that is a problem. To be fast with the Mugen (MBX5 Prospec at least) you have to steer the car with brake and throttle. I don't have enough skill to do that. Set the nose with the brake, then power through the corner, or it pushes like a dump truck. A really good driver probably has the skill to do that consistantly... so they can make the car really fast. A begginer is probably better off with a car that pushes a little and is really stable.

I changed to a Losi for a few simple reasons:

1) The car doesn't care if you are on the brakes, on the throttle, or just coasting. It doesn't push, it just turns.

2) It is so light that it accelerates out of corners and over jumps better.

3) It reacts so quick to control input that if you get into trouble you can correct easier.

Now, that being said... it isn't a car that is as easy to drive HARD as the Mugen is. The Mugen just doesn't bite you when you make a mistake, the Losi does. If you push it too hard the results are pretty dramatic... it gets out of shape easier than the Mugen does... but then again... it is easier to bring it back.

However, I could turn faster and more consistant lap times with the Losi the first time out than I ever could with the Mugen. Possibly just a difference in style. The Mugen I felt like I had to push the car hard, and fight it all the time. I was always behind on control inputs because the car reacted slow. The Losi I could relax and not work as hard, so I was smoother and ultimately faster, even though I didn't feel like I was pushing as hard. It is just more fun to drive IN MY OPINION.

Note that in no way am I bagging on the Mugen. Quality is top notch, it is as tough as they come, stability is great, easy to drive. I just can't do what is needed to make it fast. It isn't the car for me, at this point in time.

Hopefully the new version will have a little more steering... honestly that is the ONLY thing I am not happy with on that car.

Wow ! this is actualy how I describe my MBX5T.... I always feel the truck is one step behind my inputs...stable and tough for sure, but control inputs just are not crisp enough for my driving style either...
Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would think that mugen would have it avalible before the 2008 worlds i think the worlds is sometime around august/sept.? i hope they do a super long travel suspension like the rc8 and include it with 16mm. super big bore shocks on a c hub front end and shorter rear a arms to let it pivot better through corners. oh and mill out the chassis.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
what buggies have less adjustments? only thing i can think off off hand that the mugen has more of is the oval hinge pin fittings.....all buggies down to an ofna ultr lx have camber, toe in, toe out suspension settings....all be it the mugen is nicer it is also my first type of nitro buggy (2 prospecs and now an R)
hold on there buddy if you read closer im not the one that said that any other buggy has less adjustments...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service