Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3 View Post
just to clarify:

its the Prospec........not Prospect
LOL, my bad!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen 5r View Post
Are we talking about the latest Mugen buggy having turning issues or the last generation mbx5 having turning issues? My 5r will turn with anything. I guess driving styles have a lot to do with it.. The 5r is as good as it gets. It may not fit your style, but it does other peoples. I saw on post up above that said it was GREAT for a beginner, I don't agree with that statement at all....
I have driven them all except the AE car, and the 5r will hold its own..
why because it is a high end kit? i tend to agree with this article and i have felt this way since before it was written..
http://www.rc-car.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...C42CA09BC6D9AD
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

GO MUGEN!!! You just simply can't go wrong with a Mugen!!! Tuff as a rock, handles well, turns well, jumps well. Cost not TOO bad. Parts are readily available. What more can you ask for?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
GO MUGEN!!! You just simply can't go wrong with a Mugen!!! Tuff as a rock, handles well, turns well, jumps well. Cost not TOO bad. Parts are readily available. What more can you ask for?
Hmmm... Ok, I'll agree with "Tuff as a rock" and "Jumps well." "Handles well... "hmmm... sometimes, sometimes not. "Turns well..." That's relative. Most cars out there have more steering than the Mugen.

Here's what I experienced with the Mugen:

It is VERY stable and forgiving. That's why I said it is a great beginner car. Also, in the right hands, it can be VERY fast. It is that middle ground that is a problem. To be fast with the Mugen (MBX5 Prospec at least) you have to steer the car with brake and throttle. I don't have enough skill to do that. Set the nose with the brake, then power through the corner, or it pushes like a dump truck. A really good driver probably has the skill to do that consistantly... so they can make the car really fast. A begginer is probably better off with a car that pushes a little and is really stable.

I changed to a Losi for a few simple reasons:

1) The car doesn't care if you are on the brakes, on the throttle, or just coasting. It doesn't push, it just turns.

2) It is so light that it accelerates out of corners and over jumps better.

3) It reacts so quick to control input that if you get into trouble you can correct easier.

Now, that being said... it isn't a car that is as easy to drive HARD as the Mugen is. The Mugen just doesn't bite you when you make a mistake, the Losi does. If you push it too hard the results are pretty dramatic... it gets out of shape easier than the Mugen does... but then again... it is easier to bring it back.

However, I could turn faster and more consistant lap times with the Losi the first time out than I ever could with the Mugen. Possibly just a difference in style. The Mugen I felt like I had to push the car hard, and fight it all the time. I was always behind on control inputs because the car reacted slow. The Losi I could relax and not work as hard, so I was smoother and ultimately faster, even though I didn't feel like I was pushing as hard. It is just more fun to drive IN MY OPINION.

Note that in no way am I bagging on the Mugen. Quality is top notch, it is as tough as they come, stability is great, easy to drive. I just can't do what is needed to make it fast. It isn't the car for me, at this point in time.

Hopefully the new version will have a little more steering... honestly that is the ONLY thing I am not happy with on that car.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

what does "pushes" mean...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 View Post
when trying to turn the front end keep sliding straight into the corner...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
It is VERY stable and forgiving. That's why I said it is a great beginner car. Also, in the right hands, it can be VERY fast. It is that middle ground that is a problem. To be fast with the Mugen (MBX5 Prospec at least) you have to steer the car with brake and throttle. I don't have enough skill to do that. Set the nose with the brake, then power through the corner, or it pushes like a dump truck. A really good driver probably has the skill to do that consistantly... so they can make the car really fast. A begginer is probably better off with a car that pushes a little and is really stable.
Are you sure it is not your setup? My Mugen turns almost at a dime, WITHOUT brakes (I only use brakes to slow down before a turn). During my turns, I roll through them. And I hug those turns like I love them. That's my experience with my Mugen.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Are you sure it is not your setup? My Mugen turns almost at a dime, WITHOUT brakes (I only use brakes to slow down before a turn). During my turns, I roll through them. And I hug those turns like I love them. That's my experience with my Mugen.
teeforb, domit is very opinionated, so i doent think there is gonna be much for changing his feelings of the mugen...domit likes losi, and thats cool...i myself really doent like the way the 8ight handles, but to each there own...however saying the mugen is a beginners car i will never even think about agreeing with...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 View Post
it means understeer
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie View Post
it means understeer
if he does not know what push means i doent think he is gonna unerstand what understeer means....
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

u bee surprised i only put it up cause its the Actual name for it Understeer and Oversteer
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
teeforb, domit is very opinionated, so i doent think there is gonna be much for changing his feelings of the mugen...domit likes losi, and thats cool...i myself really doent like the way the 8ight handles, but to each there own...however saying the mugen is a beginners car i will never even think about agreeing with...
reason i would is for racing it has almost all the adjustments you can think of and be set up 100's of ways (thats not a novice feature) what makes it good imo is its stable and the adjustments are easy to feel as the car itself is very stable...does being a begineer car mean it is less of a performer? i dont think so but it will make you a better driver/set up man in the long run reguardless of any car you may or may not switch too...if you get an mbx5r down to or near losi weight there wouldnt be a real reason compaired to any car out now to change, as its suspension is at least as good as all the other top cars....a regular mbx5 in reality is no more of a begineer car as it has the same adjustments just worse suspension and weaker parts imo.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
reason i would is for racing it has almost all the adjustments you can think of and be set up 100's of ways (thats not a novice feature) what makes it good imo is its stable and the adjustments are easy to feel as the car itself is very stable...does being a begineer car mean it is less of a performer? i dont think so but it will make you a better driver/set up man in the long run reguardless of any car you may or may not switch too...if you get an mbx5r down to or near losi weight there wouldnt be a real reason compaired to any car out now to change, as its suspension is at least as good as all the other top cars....a regular mbx5 in reality is no more of a begineer car as it has the same adjustments just worse suspension and weaker parts imo.
im tryin gto understand your post...so what you are saying is that the mugen is a good car for beginners because it has lots of adjustments and setup possabilities??? wont that just confuse and over welm a beginner??? i know when i started into rc i didnt like that kind of stuff, cause i didnt understand it...

also domit stated that he feels the mugen is a good beginner buggy because its stable, but then went on to say that he doesnt have the skill to drive it fast...call me weird but i think a beginner would not want a car that needs alot of skill to drive...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
No prob, I understand. But its kinda hard to argue, "its your setup". If any car over steer, under steer, or what ever the case maybe, jus blindly say, "its your setup" and your right...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service