Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Of all the lightweight hop-ups, the lightweight wheel spindle outdrives will be the one thing I purchase. Weight out at the wheels(unsprung) really hurts performance, and I bet even a moderately skilled driver could notice that change.

The rest of the stuff on the drivetrain, ehhh I'll save my money. If anything switching to fiber brake disks would be the biggest driveline weight drop I can think of. To me the chassis almost seems too light for fast bumpy tracks.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mbx6

Originally Posted by thuren
Of all the lightweight hop-ups, the lightweight wheel spindle outdrives will be the one thing I purchase. Weight out at the wheels(unsprung) really hurts performance, and I bet even a moderately skilled driver could notice that change.

The rest of the stuff on the drivetrain, ehhh I'll save my money. If anything switching to fiber brake disks would be the biggest driveline weight drop I can think of. To me the chassis almost seems too light for fast bumpy tracks.
hi mate did u get the shock tower made of aluminium?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
oh... one last more. The late Ron Paris used to always give his protege wonder Mike Swauger full-size, full-weight steel pinions for his WC winning cars (as opposed to lightened Ti or Al ones)... Said that additional inertia was actually helping both performance and runtime.

Again - keep in mind that if you can't run 5 laps within 3 or 4% times to one another, any hop-up that supposedly increases performance is money in the bin anyway...

Paul
There is difference in onroad versus offroad. Offroad will have a lot more braking down to lower speeds and then quick throttle blipping for jumping. The lighter parts will have better braking and throttle spin up.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The difference made by the lighter axles and uni joints is miniscule, there's very little inertia because of their size. I'm happy to hear that the aluminum parts are wearing well though, for what they cost that's really the big concern. An MBX-6 is pretty close to legal weight anyhow, save the money...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thuren

Install the RC8 brakes with MBX5R brake plates. Better braking and lighter than stock rotors.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I used to use the Thunder Tiger composite brakes on my MBX5(had an aluminum core), are these the same? Those were good.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

thats what i run on my 6...less weight and way more braking power

get the C0304A Calipers
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...0304A+&x=0&y=0

and TTR brakes
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2546
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

The TTR & RC8 brakes are same. The TTR versions were always cheaper, but most LHS carry AE & Mugen parts.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The stock X6 brakes are by far the best I have used on any car and I ran the TTR special discs on my 5R and 5T. I actually had too much braking for the first couple of races with the X6.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
The stock X6 brakes are by far the best I have used on any car and I ran the TTR special discs on my 5R and 5T. I actually had too much braking for the first couple of races with the X6.
+1
I have run a few different brakes and the stock X6 ones seem to work the best. I always had to sand the non-metal discs to get decent braking and there was still brake fade in longer mains. The X6 ones are a little heavier but it's worth it to have consistant brakes to me.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

The TTR/RC8 brake rotors didn't have any signs of fade. Plus on high grip tracks or blue groove surfaces, the stock brakes just could not stop enough. Would have to brake earlier at the end of a straights or long runs.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

same here, i can wait much deeper into the corners to brake now with the AE's
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Thats good info boys, I haven't run the RC8 brakes so maybe I'll have to give them a shot just see for myself. I like the sound of later braking into corners. Do they take a bunch maintanence like some of the other fiber disks? (sanding). With some of the fiber disks I have run, I would have to pull them out throughout the race day to keep them working good.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slidejob26
Thats good info boys, I haven't run the RC8 brakes so maybe I'll have to give them a shot just see for myself. I like the sound of later braking into corners. Do they take a bunch maintanence like some of the other fiber disks? (sanding). With some of the fiber disks I have run, I would have to pull them out throughout the race day to keep them working good.
No, they are not like the fiber brakes. Just install them with MBX5R metal brake plates and your good. Also, remove the brake disc guides from the lower center diff mounts or cut them to clear. I also installed some brake spreader springs I had laying around so they'll never drag. I've had them installed for about a good gallon and half and they have had no fading of brake power or adjustments to make yet.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ezveedub
No, they are not like the fiber brakes. Just install them with MBX5R metal brake plates and your good. Also, remove the brake disc guides from the lower center diff mounts or cut them to clear. I also installed some brake spreader springs I had laying around so they'll never drag. I've had them installed for about a good gallon and half and they have had no fading of brake power or adjustments to make yet.
Cool, thanks I'll check it out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.