Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MBX6

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmmm very interesting, wait see, definatly somthing to look forward to.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I heard a podcast with Chris Moore. He said the cars will be nothing like the MBX5! and I thought I heard they would be called the mbx6! August-September. Sorry. forgot where the podcast was.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

WOW, major design. This is going to be interesting. I think they are going abstract. Mugen has been around since the beginning of 1/8th scale offroading with the Super Athlete. So, I know they are coming with something strong!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

From what I've seen of the MBX5R C-hubs would make that kit perfect. I'm considering one my self. And if theres a 6 coming I think I will wait till next year.
I would like to see C-hubs. Right now thats the one thing that would make me consider some thing else.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

at the moment im all Mugen with the R and T, and plan to stay that way untill the new bug/trug comes out...

MUGEN/GO TECH 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
only thing i know is what kris moore said in an interview about the mbx5 series being outdated...only weaknesses are really weight and gearing the suspension it has is pretty top notch. if a person were to make out a list of the top 3-5 buggies out of the CEN, Losi, AE, OCM, Kyosho, Mugen, Jammin, Hyper, TTR ....alot of people would still have that "outdated" buggy in their top 3. alot of guys i race with said if they didnt have a losi it would be a mugen...i wont ever say it is the best (there is no best imo) but it is a very stable car in which to at least learn from
I'll second this... the Mugen is a GREAT car to learn with. It's built like a tank, it doesn't break easily and doesn't wear out quickly. The only area that requires frequent attention is the pivot balls- you have to keep them adjusted or the steering gets sloppy. The nice thing is, it is a really quick, easy adjustment. Just a quick snugging of the retainers with an allen wrench... if you have spoke wheels you don't even have to pull the wheels off to do it. Give it a shot of lube too, to slow the wear down.

It is a little bit lazy in the steering department- GREAT for a beginner.

The pivot ball concept looks kinda weak, but I can assure you it is TOUGH. I've NEVER broken a steering knuckle, and if anyone can break a car I can.

The differences between the MBX5 Prospec and MBX5R are slightly different steering geometry, and more suspension travel. on the R. Ok, a couple more things, but nothing that really affects performance. The Prospec is still a great car, and unless you are looking to squeeze every 1/10 second out of it, and have the skills to do so, the Prospec is better bang for the buck, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

The ONLY car that tops Mugen in overall quality is Xray... but then again... you'll pay for that difference too.

As for the MBX6 or whatever it will be called... it will be interesting to see what Mugen comes up with. They are a top-tier manufacturer, with the resources to do what it takes to compete. Should be a great car.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Do you guys think after the MBX6, shortly there will be a MBX6T?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would expect a T version but I suspect it would be a few months after the 6 is released.

The shocks and shock towers from the R are all you really need for your Prospec. I think you can get that stuff pretty cheap on Ebay. The new shocks are much nicer and your stockers are probably worn out by now so I think it would be a good upgrade to keep you going for next year.

I actually expect the MBX6 to be pillow ball or king pin setup. Kingpin gives the advantages of C hub (low friction and less unsprung weight) with the advantages of pillowball (quick caster adjustments and active caster). Unfortunately you need good machined hubs to make king pin reliable so it costs more to manufacture.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i hate pillow balls. the mbx5 pushed like a tractor.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
i hate pillow balls. the mbx5 pushed like a tractor.

strange i have very lil push...i guess its all in your driving style and setup...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

My MBX5 turns extremely well.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mine pushed until I went to a servo with 200 oz of torque (from what was apparently a worn out 140oz servo) then it had lots of steering.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

I got an MBX5 second hand here, brushless conversion so I can't adjust brake bias for more steering, but even without that it has a whole lot of steering with its current setup, amost could turn on a dime.

I will say that other than the instruction manual (liked my CEN Matrix one better), its one of my favorite vehicles. In the future I wouldn't mind the truggy version, and I look forward to the MBX6 coming out, so i can get mbx5r's cheap for parts !
Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Are we talking about the latest Mugen buggy having turning issues or the last generation mbx5 having turning issues? My 5r will turn with anything. I guess driving styles have a lot to do with it.. The 5r is as good as it gets. It may not fit your style, but it does other peoples. I saw on post up above that said it was GREAT for a beginner, I don't agree with that statement at all....
I have driven them all except the AE car, and the 5r will hold its own..
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

I just have the prospect, and that thing turns very well for me. It's so good, I'm debating why should I go with the "R".

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service