Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How much servo 1/8 buggy??? >

How much servo 1/8 buggy???

How much servo 1/8 buggy???

Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Haven't gotten to try it yet but I just got the new JRZ9100T. Cant wait to test it.
this servo is the best servo i have ever used...granted its not mine, but a friend of mine just got one about a 4 days ago and all i could say when i saw and used it was WOW it is the fastest high torque servo ever.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

I run Air 358's or 359's for both steering and throttle, saw in RC Car Action that some guy named Adam Drake runs the same servo setup, guess it works for him, looks like he's pretty high profile
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That Caster 9850 has the exact same specs as a Futaba s9351. The Caster 9851 has the same specs at the S9350. Wonder if they made my 9351 that lasted two races?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scootersisters - You may have parted ways with Hitec about the time they started making 1/8 servos that actually hold up. The old 5925/5945 servos felt great to me in the car but they rarely lasted more than one race.

The 5955 feels better and I do not think I have seen one killed yet in the last two years.

As to the digital vs analog question. I find the analogs to feel softer (smoother) initially and then about the same as you continue through the throw. I have also noticed an Airtronics .10s servo is no faster than a Ko/Jr/Hitec/Futaba .13s servo. In fact the Airtrix will usually feel slower when you initially turn the wheel and will feel normal once it is moving.

I would suggest picking analog or digital and not switching back and forth. I think once you get used to one or the other either will be as good on the track. The only thing is there are almost no good analog servos left so you are pretty much stuck with digital I think.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

I use Blue Bird servos. They're looked down upon in this "if it's not expensive, it can't possibly be good" delusional world we live in but the ones in my rc8 have been operating without fail every weekend and some since I installed them at the beginning of last month. Nothing about them is cheap or cheesy. They are solid high quality servos and they even come packaged nicely compared to the carboard packaging of other companies. I got them from Nitro House.

BMS630MG steering: 190oz @ .17 seconds
BMS617MG TB: 110oz @ .09 seconds
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I think anything over 200oz is kinda overkill but hey thats what this hobby is about.

I have NEVER been more impressed with any other companies servos than ACE. They under rate their stuff. I'm still using an ole ds1313 in my truggy and it is so fast it puts my Futaba 9351 to shame! They are cheaper and IMO built better. The only poeple who don't agree with me are peiople who havn't tried them. You will never use another brand of servos.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

bluebird servos are great, great price, everything ya want. jst make sure you pick the right ones, if you pick 80 oz. of torque for steering not much to expect.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by windellmc
Scootersisters - You may have parted ways with Hitec about the time they started making 1/8 servos that actually hold up. The old 5925/5945 servos felt great to me in the car but they rarely lasted more than one race.

The 5955 feels better and I do not think I have seen one killed yet in the last two years.

As to the digital vs analog question. I find the analogs to feel softer (smoother) initially and then about the same as you continue through the throw. I have also noticed an Airtronics .10s servo is no faster than a Ko/Jr/Hitec/Futaba .13s servo. In fact the Airtrix will usually feel slower when you initially turn the wheel and will feel normal once it is moving.

I would suggest picking analog or digital and not switching back and forth. I think once you get used to one or the other either will be as good on the track. The only thing is there are almost no good analog servos left so you are pretty much stuck with digital I think.

I totally agree.

Wonder if team drivers can get faster, stronger servos than are on the market?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Scootersisters,

I'll chime in as well on behalf of Hitecs. I've been running the 5996 & 5997 for over a year and a half now with no issues whatsoever. For the first year, I was racing every other weekend with these servos in 1/8 scale buggy. I was a noob (Still am, LOL) and drove that buggy like a madman on crack! Servos took a ton of high stress usage and they still work great to this day.

In fact, they've been soooo trouble free that I'm actually starting to worry, and am considering sending them into Hitec for a cleaning/checkup! They've been the most consistant trouble free thing on my buggy, with the next part being a Novarossi engine...

They may have been bad in the past, but they definitely make some great servos now!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
And where do you think RC stuff is made?
Well, let's see... my car was US made... my motor is Italian...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
Each one has his own taste....I use Ko Propo 13 KG (aprox. 180oz?)/ 0'13 sec for steering and HNS-2 (Futaba 3305) 9Kg (aprox 125oz?) for throttle.

Of course, the more torque and speed the better, a part from $$$ cosiderations, I would think you wouldn't need more than 200 oz for steering. More speed than 0'10 sec might actually be too fast to handle. Remember we use dual rate to make it easier to control steering and throttle in low grip conditions, wich are very freequent in off road.

Throttle/ brake is more than enough with 9kg for me, since I use phenolic disks that yank the car to a stop. It might be more important to have more speed here for faster transitions. Then again, there's throttle/brake acceleration functions on Tx/Rx to compensate and make the servo's reactions a bit faster...

The advantage of going digital is faster and more precise response, especially using a Tx/Rx system like HRS. Still, anything faster than 0'10 I think would be hard to handle and is less important than good driving skills.....

One last thing to make y'all grit your teeth: I have ordered a set of MG 995 servos (who knows where those are made??HEHEHEH), just for the heck of it. I'll be surprised if they really are coreless, metal geared, 15Kg and last more than 5 minutes, but they where only $15 a piece!!! I might keep them for an emergency or pass them on to buddies that are just starting out....

All of this are my personal opinions...each man for himself!!!
Those would be the TowerPro 995MG right?

Ummm... I'd cancel that order if I were you. I bought 4 of them.

Best $50 I've ever spent on RC stuff... taught me not to be cheap!

I GUESS they'd be ok for steering, for a while, in an emergency. I ran one on throttle... it overcenters so bad it would yank the brake when you let off the throttle, or blip the throttle when you let off the brakes.

Brad
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Those would be the TowerPro 995MG right?
Ummm... I'd cancel that order if I were you. I bought 4 of them.
Best $50 I've ever spent on RC stuff... taught me not to be cheap!
I GUESS they'd be ok for steering, for a while, in an emergency. I ran one on throttle... it overcenters so bad it would yank the brake when you let off the throttle, or blip the throttle when you let off the brakes.
Brad
No: these aren't the Tower ones. These are directly from the guy in China that makes them. No brand. Just MG995. I bet they are the same ones, though, so I'll see when I get them.

A buddy already tried a set in a touring car and says they work great: fast, good torque, no blips....of course touring is defferent from off road!! Very different!!

As I said prior, I'd be surprised if they weren't a piece of sh.., but still for just $15 it might be worth it even if it's for the spare parts, hehehehhe I'll let you all knowl how they work out.....
Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone knows where to buy the replacement servo gears for futaba S9451 ??

I think my gear near the pot ( sensor gear ?? ) is chipping, making rattling sound a lot.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Bottom line, buy the fastest strongest most expensive one you can afford and hopefully with the best guarantee.

The three most reputable ones are JR Propo, Airtronics and Futaba.

Good luck and may the torq be with you all..........
Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

futaba will be coming out with a new servo soon until then use what ever servo you can get your hands on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.