whats the best way to remove tires???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats the best way to remove tires???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default whats the best way to remove tires???

i have a set of proline knuclkes that JUST WONT COME OFF THE RIM.

ive tried putting them in the oven at 200 degrees farenheight, but that didnt work

i also tried using acetone (maybe i was doing it wrong) but that didnt work either, these tires are determined to stay on the rims.

is there a special technique or something?? im not even close to getting one of the tires off, its on there so good i dont think its possible to get it off.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Get an empty coffee can or paint can and put about a 1/2" of acetone in it. Then stick your tires in there one side at a time and let them sit for about an hour. It will come off you just need to let them soak.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Acetone is the way to go... get a large enough container with a lid to seal it, I use a plastic cat litter container from walmart. Submerge your wheels in acetone. It could take two or three days depending on the glue but every night go and try to work the tires off the rim. Some areas will take longer but just stick with it and the acetone will eat the glue away but you have to tend to them every 12 to 24 hours to work the areas that are ready to give off the rim so the chemicals can reach into the bead to eat away at the rest of the glue. I have done this successfully several times replacing proline foams. After the rim and tire are separated leave them in the acetone for a while longer till all th eglue is cleaned from the tire and rim or else it will cause problems for you when you re-glue.

Note that your foams will not survive this technique so plan on buying new ones.

Don't waste your time and electricity trying to bake them off.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HookaMega
Acetone is the way to go... get a large enough container with a lid to seal it, I use a plastic cat litter container from walmart. Submerge your wheels in acetone. It could take two or three days depending on the glue but every night go and try to work the tires off the rim. Some areas will take longer but just stick with it and the acetone will eat the glue away but you have to tend to them every 12 to 24 hours to work the areas that are ready to give off the rim so the chemicals can reach into the bead to eat away at the rest of the glue. I have done this successfully several times replacing proline foams. After the rim and tire are separated leave them in the acetone for a while longer till all th eglue is cleaned from the tire and rim or else it will cause problems for you when you re-glue.

Note that your foams will not survive this technique so plan on buying new ones.

Don't waste your time and electricity trying to bake them off.

+ 1
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5

ive tried putting them in the oven at 200 degrees farenheight, but that didnt work
200 isn't hot enough. That's why boiling generally doesn't work very well either. I preheat the oven to 350 and TURN IT OFF. Then put the tires in for 15 minutes or so. Take them out and let them cool before you try to crack them off the rims. Trying to pull at a hot tire will very easily tear it. It has worked perfectly for me every time.

When you do get the tires off you still need to clean the glue off the bead. Use a rag with acetone to clean up what doesn't crack off.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gubbs3
200 isn't hot enough. That's why boiling generally doesn't work very well either. I preheat the oven to 350 and TURN IT OFF. Then put the tires in for 15 minutes or so. Take them out and let them cool before you try to crack them off the rims. Trying to pull at a hot tire will very easily tear it. It has worked perfectly for me every time.

When you do get the tires off you still need to clean the glue off the bead. Use a rag with acetone to clean up what doesn't crack off.
well last time i did it in the oven and it worked perfectly, maybe i just didnt have the right temp this time.

i actually have them sitting in a small dish with acetone. im glad you guys told me to wait a few days though. i tried 10 mins after submerging them and they didnt come off, i almost just poured it all out.

and i dont care about the foams, they look like the kind you get with himoto cars, theyre like a sponge not a rubbery foam.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

1st get a plasma cutter.. then.... oh wait i 2nd the acetone..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

if i put them in the oven, what do i place under the tires? cardboard?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you want to keep the tyres? if not just knife them. if you do, just wheelspin until the glue comes unstuck (i'm lazy)
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

ummm no cardboard is flamable.. i would use tin foil inside an old baking sheet..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

oven 325 on tin foil for 15 minutes. Use gloves and watch for steam and don't force it. (If it won't all come lose put it back in for 5 more minutes.) The upside of the tire will be de-bonded but the downside will need 5 more minute facing up back in the oven. i've done some rims 3 or 4 times with no problems. Dan
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

but watch out, thermoplastic rims may melt and sag.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by joe of loath
do you want to keep the tyres? if not just knife them. if you do, just wheelspin until the glue comes unstuck (i'm lazy)
wheelspin? yes i wanna keep em
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Nitro fuel is the best thing that I have used when it comes to unglueing tires, I have used o'donnell 20% with great success, it is also much quicker than the other methods.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer
Nitro fuel is the best thing that I have used when it comes to unglueing tires, I have used o'donnell 20% with great success, it is also much quicker than the other methods.
damn, i was actually thinking of doing that too, damn stuff works like a paint thinner, itll take spray paint off, eat away at most things too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.