R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   quick question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/186592-quick-question.html)

Mugen MBX-5 10-17-2007 04:38 PM

quick question

im buying a mugen mbx5 roller, im going to need an engine and electronics.

ive got the electronics all figured out, its just the engine im having problems with.

i dont want to spend more then 300$ on the whole engine set up, im thinking on going with the LRP .28 Spec 3.

if i buy the roto starter version of the LRP .28 Spec 3, am i going to need anything else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LRP-32809-Z-28R-...QQcmdZViewItem

im gonna get that, am i going to also need a muffler, clutch, flywheel, screws to mount it, what else??

can someone please tell me in detailed instructions what im going to need, im new to this but know what im doing once you tell me.

atown117 10-17-2007 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 (Post 3775631)
im buying a mugen mbx5 roller, im going to need an engine and electronics.

ive got the electronics all figured out, its just the engine im having problems with.

i dont want to spend more then 300$ on the whole engine set up, im thinking on going with the LRP .28 Spec 3.

if i buy the roto starter version of the LRP .28 Spec 3, am i going to need anything else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LRP-32809-Z-28R-...QQcmdZViewItem

im gonna get that, am i going to also need a muffler, clutch, flywheel, screws to mount it, what else??

can someone please tell me in detailed instructions what im going to need, im new to this but know what im doing once you tell me.

Your going to need a pipe, The roller should come with the clutch and the flywheel and the screws to mount it. Well I would think it would because I think a roller is what comes in the kit just put together and used a little bit? I don't know for sure someone please correct me if im wrong.

jatoman1992 10-17-2007 07:56 PM

it should come with the flywheel/clutch as far as i know. this is the truggy, right?

houston 10-17-2007 09:02 PM

sounds like you are buying used ?? if so , dont count on it coming with everything you need !! if you are going to race the buggy , you will need a .21 engine , not a .28 to be legal . go to your local hobby shop and they should be able to get you rolling with what you need .

Nitro syco 10-17-2007 09:31 PM

I would recomend the novarossi 21BF, a very nice motor, expecialy for the price, in my opinion it is probably the best bang for the buck.

Mugen MBX-5 10-17-2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 3776482)
sounds like you are buying used ?? if so , dont count on it coming with everything you need !! if you are going to race the buggy , you will need a .21 engine , not a .28 to be legal . go to your local hobby shop and they should be able to get you rolling with what you need .

yes im buying used. no its not a truggy, i think the mbx5 is a buggy, is it not??

my local LHS is 1.5 hours away, i get everything online.

i dont race, just drive around in my yard.

im thinking of the LRP 28z spec 3 (not sure if i already mentioned this), and the dsx 3.0 remote and electronics.

derricklong38 10-18-2007 06:32 AM

i dont see why a axial .28 woulnt work. good motor cheap price, like someone said ealier, you wont be race legal, but it will have a ton of power to play with i run a hitec 5645 on my mugen throttle and steering works perfect for me, low budget too.

xlgraphicspro 10-18-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nitro syco (Post 3776608)
I would recomend the novarossi 21BF, a very nice motor, expecialy for the price, in my opinion it is probably the best bang for the buck.

+1 BUT I'd actually suggest the newer 2001 BF it's a 6 port version of the 3 port 21BF. It's a great engine if you ask me. and if you buy a jp-3 on top of that, your only spending about $250 bucks

Mugen MBX-5 10-18-2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro (Post 3777515)
+1 BUT I'd actually suggest the newer 2001 BF it's a 6 port version of the 3 port 21BF. It's a great engine if you ask me. and if you buy a jp-3 on top of that, your only spending about $250 bucks

i think im gonna go with the LRP 28 zpec 3. and im gonna need a flywheel, clutch, and screws right?(no, my mugen doesnt come with those). i already have a cheap losi muffler i got for 17$ off ebay.

if i buy the roto start LRP, am i going to have to buy a roto back for it too? and a roto starter?? and a roto starter battery?? and a roto starter battery charger?? i wish they would just sell them in one damn package.

RKwaad 10-18-2007 12:21 PM

The one way bearing on those Roto Start go out real fast. You'll mess with it for awhile, then you'll get a bump start.

satoch 10-18-2007 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RKwaad (Post 3778331)
The one way bearing on those Roto Start go out real fast. You'll mess with it for awhile, then you'll get a bump start.

AMEN! It always costs so much more to start with those damned Roto Start things only to realize they suck and then have to buy a starter box. We've all been through it and learned our lesson. Learn from our mistakes and don't duplicate it. Or maybe you're the kinda guy who didn't listen to his mom and burned his hand on the stove? :nod: :lol:

derricklong38 10-18-2007 12:51 PM

can you give a link to where you bought the engine? most likey you will need to buy a starting "wand" and battery and charger. some roto starters do take a standard hex driver that can be used with a drill. but beware, the bearing will go out fairly quickly. goto www.carolinasrc.com, and buy a mugen flywheel, clutch, clutch nut, springs, shoes and bell. The bolts will be a regular 3mm button head screw

need anymore help LMK

Mugen MBX-5 10-18-2007 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by derricklong38 (Post 3778400)
can you give a link to where you bought the engine? most likey you will need to buy a starting "wand" and battery and charger. some roto starters do take a standard hex driver that can be used with a drill. but beware, the bearing will go out fairly quickly. goto www.carolinasrc.com, and buy a mugen flywheel, clutch, clutch nut, springs, shoes and bell. The bolts will be a regular 3mm button head screw

need anymore help LMK

thanks man. the link i think is at the top of the page.. im getting it off ebay but i still havot gotten it yet. im still waiting to get paid, then i gotta wait for paypal to transfer it into my bank, then i gotta wait for it to get to me :(. i would get it at carolinas but they dont sell LRPs. im getting EVERYTHING off carolinas though, they are the best and accept paypal. i just hate the fuckin COD when i go to pick it up at the post office.

think you can link me to everything i need on carolinas, preferably all in one package.

i think im gonna try a roto starter then if it doesnt go good ill get a bump starter (whats that??). money is not an option. is a bump box isint too much more, ill get that, i dont even know what it is though or how it works.

and satoch, are you saying im an idiot or something?? im new to this asshole, and like i said, money is not really an option:ha:. im sure not everyone has problems with roto start. i dont drive it that often and dont race. so im sure it it will be fine for me. maybe i will get a starter box, just dont be a dick about it.

satoch 10-18-2007 01:59 PM

Woah, woah, woah, take it down a notch man. Just trying to give you solid advice and interject a little humor. If money is no object just take the advice of those who have been down this road. We only mention these things as a way of helping you. :nod: And there is certainly no need for using the F word here. Not cool.

free2day77 10-18-2007 02:33 PM

Mugen, the reason they have advised you away from the roto start is that one way bearings (which are in the back plate) are highly prone to breaking. You will end up spending more time taking your engine apart to replace this bearing than if you just bought a starter box and used that.

HTH