Community
Wiki Posts
Search

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by free2day77
Mugen, the reason they have advised you away from the roto start is that one way bearings (which are in the back plate) are highly prone to breaking. You will end up spending more time taking your engine apart to replace this bearing than if you just bought a starter box and used that.

HTH

well you wanna explain to me how this works, what it is, and some links or something. im completely new to this. i bought a himoto, bought it for 420$ . and so far its cost me about 600$ to repair the 10 or so parts that broke on it since its junk. so im selling that as soon as i get the parts in, and have a mugen mbx5 roller i got for 350 coming in the mail tomorrow or monday . i still gotta get an engine for it (the LRP .28 spec 3), and electronics (dsx 3.0).
Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

wow, glad im not the only retard that bought a himoto and realized it is junk
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
wow, glad im not the only retard that bought a himoto and realized it is junk
oh yeah, i cant believe the pieces i broke. my clutch exploded into 50 pieces. literally. i guarantee none of you have seen a clutch this exploded before. the steering top arm and assembly broke, tires were junk, they are a horrible brand. i cant wait to get my mugen.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ide go straight for the Starter(bump) box. heres a pic of one.

Then you would need a couple of stick packs or a gel cell battery to run the starter box and then a charger to charge the batteries.

You can get good deals on used starter boxes on here and evilbay. Then this will last you a long time and can be used for many RC's you may buy in the future. I actually have to get another one of those Ofna boxes and sell off my chrome top box. That is an awesome starter box, and the best I have used so far. I just want one set for truggy, and one set for buggy.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JR V
Ide go straight for the Starter(bump) box. heres a pic of one.

Then you would need a couple of stick packs or a gel cell battery to run the starter box and then a charger to charge the batteries.

You can get good deals on used starter boxes on here and evilbay. Then this will last you a long time and can be used for many RC's you may buy in the future. I actually have to get another one of those Ofna boxes and sell off my chrome top box. That is an awesome starter box, and the best I have used so far. I just want one set for truggy, and one set for buggy.

so if i get those i dont need anything on the back of the motor, it just spins the flywheel?? how much does a complete starter box usually cost?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Yes no need for crap hanging off the back of your engine. a brand new setup would be about $130-140ish for box batt packs and charger. Thats on the low end of the spectrum. Like I said Ide look into a used box if funds are tight.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes starter box is the way to go i've got the VTXB-1 buggy and i was trying to roto start the thing for about 30 min. striaght and split the rod in half so I had to get a box and new motor I got the Ofna crome top with glow ignitor on the front panel
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by free2day77
Mugen, the reason they have advised you away from the roto start is that one way bearings (which are in the back plate) are highly prone to breaking. You will end up spending more time taking your engine apart to replace this bearing than if you just bought a starter box and used that.

HTH
fuck you free2day77, i havent had any problems with my roto start in over a year so since i bought my savvy.

mugen- dont listen to them about upgrading to the starter box bullstuff, the only thing that i had to pull my engine out for was to "tighten" up the roto start plate but thats it. they are all racers and think that everyone should have the quality of a racer in their RC.... well sometimes guys thats not the case, if u just want to beat the crap out of it around the yard then the roto start will be fine and do what you want it to do... most of time.. there's been a few times where i've wanted to throw it across the yard but have refrained from doing so. not sure about buying used since i bought my savvy 25 brand new, but you'll have to buy a charger, the battery, the starter itself and i think thats about it..
Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by savage.25
fuck you free2day77, i havent had any problems with my roto start in over a year so since i bought my savvy.

mugen- dont listen to them about upgrading to the starter box bullstuff, the only thing that i had to pull my engine out for was to "tighten" up the roto start plate but thats it. they are all racers and think that everyone should have the quality of a racer in their RC.... well sometimes guys thats not the case, if u just want to beat the crap out of it around the yard then the roto start will be fine and do what you want it to do... most of time.. there's been a few times where i've wanted to throw it across the yard but have refrained from doing so. not sure about buying used since i bought my savvy 25 brand new, but you'll have to buy a charger, the battery, the starter itself and i think thats about it..
well if a starter box is like 130, and a roto starter and everything ill need is around like 75$. i think i should just go with the starter box in the first place for an extra 70$, thats like 4 hours of work....
Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

$$$$ you free2day77, i havent had any problems with my roto start in over a year so since i bought my savvy.

Wow your really showing off your intelligence in that post! We are not pushing him into having top of the line racer gear, but trying to have his buck go the farthest. I cant comment on roto-starts, but I know Ive helped out tons of people with pull starters and the one ways usually need to be cleaned or replaced often. What a pain in the ass. The only thing I own that has a shaft start is my .70 EK4. That I had to upgrade the backplate for a quality one that would last.

So if he decided to get a truggy couldnt he use the starter box with that rc also w/o having to buy the roto-start backplate? That way there isnt any extra costs for the second and so on rc cars, and a hell of alot less maintenance. BTW yes you should clean the one way periodically, but your probally one who think clutch bearings lasts forever also.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Mugen,

Heres a great box that can be used on tons of different rc's.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5429

Also pick up a 12V gel cell, and wall charger and with shipping it would be around $125 brand new. I love the Ofna Blue box in the above post, but it truly isnt needed and drives the price up considerably if bought new.

Try shopping around and you might find it cheaper.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Was it really necissary to drop the f bomb? I think you could of gotten your point across without using profanity. Just my two cents
Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by atown117
Was it really necissary to drop the f bomb? I think you could of gotten your point across without using profanity. Just my two cents
i honestly kinda like it when people swear.. hell im gonna do it just for fun. fuck.

and i think im just gonna shop around and either buy one off ebay or carolinasrc.

now i need

engine
clutch
electronics
starter

and my mugen is ready to rip
Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

i had everything and erased it

HAN103 charger
HAN102 Battery for starter box
OFN10250 starter box

MUGC0704 ENGINE NUT
MUGE0702 FLYWHEEL
MUGC0707 CLUTCH SHOES
MUGC0720 CLUTCH BELL
MUGC0708 CLUTCH SPRINGS

engine should come with collet and bolt , also, a ofna clutch bell shim kit

RCE10563BK glow ignitor if you dont have one
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

excuse me? I spoke from experience and I do not think your words are warranted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.