Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips >

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That would be best I think,

But just having tanks that don't have the kinds of issues they have been having would probably work for most. I finally gave in and went the D8T tank route and have been much happier.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Isn't there a way to put a clunk in our self. I have a new rig waiting for break in with a spare tank just in case. I have read the issues they have had and it has gotten better with the newer tanks. Maybe on my spare I will try to install a clunk. Is there a specific way on where to drill the hole like in the middle or towards the top.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The newer tanks "are" better, but still not what they should be. IMHO.

That being said, hopefully AE will get it all figured out soon. Until then there some other options. As for modding the AE tank with a clunk style pick up. Tried it on a couple spare tanks I had and didn't get it to work right. I was using the stock hole in the tank to loop the fuel line in to create a clunk. MY next option was to drill out the stock hole where the fuel nipple was and run fuel line down to the stock pick up location. Worked, but wasn't as good as I had hoped for. I'm sure that with more thought put into it, it would be a fairly easy mod to try and do right. I just gave up and went with a new tank and saved myself the time of trying to figure it all out for the best way to do the mod.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I think you can use a D8 tank but you will probably have to drill a hole in the chassis because it won't fit in the stock location
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by chevydc44
I think you can use a D8 tank but you will probably have to drill a hole in the chassis because it won't fit in the stock location
DO NOT drill a hole in the chassis. All you have to do is take an old plastic servo horn and cut it down to use as the front mount to connect to the original tank mount. Easy mod to do. I did it on my buggy.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
DO NOT drill a hole in the chassis. All you have to do is take an old plastic servo horn and cut it down to use as the front mount to connect to the original tank mount. Easy mod to do. I did it on my buggy.
Nice good idea thanks I will try it
Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Another diff oil post.....I know, I know, its been discussed before. LOL

Anybody messed with different diff oil settings?

I know stock setup is 7/7/7 but just wondering what others have tried. I tried 7/10/5 and liked it but read somewhere on here that they did 7/10/7.
I run on a packed track but loose dirt on top, as the day goes on it sometimes gets rutted out in some areas and some areas are very loose so you have to be easy on the trigger, sometimes it will stay loose all day.

I know alot has to do with how easy or hard you are on the trigger, but I hate when the back end of the truggy slides out on turns and when the rear end feels real loose.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pistolpete1982
Another diff oil post.....I know, I know, its been discussed before. LOL

Anybody messed with different diff oil settings?

I know stock setup is 7/7/7 but just wondering what others have tried. I tried 7/10/5 and liked it but read somewhere on here that they did 7/10/7.
I run on a packed track but loose dirt on top, as the day goes on it sometimes gets rutted out in some areas and some areas are very loose so you have to be easy on the trigger, sometimes it will stay loose all day.

I know alot has to do with how easy or hard you are on the trigger, but I hate when the back end of the truggy slides out on turns and when the rear end feels real loose.

Try running 7/7/3 in your truck. You may find the rear end to be quite a bit more stable.

Brad
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brad S.
Try running 7/7/3 in your truck. You may find the rear end to be quite a bit more stable.

Brad
Anytime I drop the rear oil weight lower than the center and front the rear is super loose, rear tire saucers, and diffing out in the corners.

I run 7, 10, 8 or 7, 15, 7 or 7, 15, 10. It may be my driving style, but I perfer the lower weight in the front versus the rear. I am no pro driver, but that is what I like.

I don't understand how all the pro setup sheets are mostly always 7,7,7. I don't believe for a minute that is always run at all these different tracks and track surfaces. That maybe whats in the car when they show up at the track, but at the end of the day it can't be.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That maybe whats in the car when they show up at the track, but at the end of the day it can't be.
You don't know how right you are. I've taken impromptu surveys at events...and I'm amazed!

Top wheels running crazy numbers to us mere mortals. I asked an area pro why he was running 40 in the center of a buggy.....he smiled and said 'stability'.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RMKinWI
Anytime I drop the rear oil weight lower than the center and front the rear is super loose, rear tire saucers, and diffing out in the corners.

I run 7, 10, 8 or 7, 15, 7 or 7, 15, 10. It may be my driving style, but I perfer the lower weight in the front versus the rear. I am no pro driver, but that is what I like.

I don't understand how all the pro setup sheets are mostly always 7,7,7. I don't believe for a minute that is always run at all these different tracks and track surfaces. That maybe whats in the car when they show up at the track, but at the end of the day it can't be.

thats an interesting way of thinking.
I'm gonna try 7/10/7 this weekend and see what that does. Havent been able to race in about a month so I'm itching to get to the track.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i run 7/10/7 with more breaks in rear then in front and love the way it owns the turns.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

So for the third time now Ive managed to melt my clutch within half a gallon. Yes there is sufficient play in the clutchbell but what seems to happen is that the aluminiumshoes wears down and creates sort of a beard on the sides that will then lock up the clutchbell and destroy the bearings.

So is anyone running composite shoes? Maybe with harder springs or something. Cause Im going to sell this truck within a a month or two so I dont want to spend too much money on an aftermarket clutch, I just want it to run until I sell it.

EDIT: Tore it down and saw that the plastic ring thats suppose to sit under the shoes is gone, so thats probably what caused the bearings to fail.

Last edited by Lilja; 07-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Half a gallon is EXCELLENT life.

I go through my clutches after every race day...often more at a bigger event, like before the main. File the shoes, leaving nice chamfers on the edges, new bearings, new springs, sanding the clutch bell...this is everyday stuff that can be done while you're bored and waiting.

Three qualifiers on my clutch bearings and I'm worried. I prefer not to worry, makes me drive stupid.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Lilja
So for the third time now Ive managed to melt my clutch within half a gallon. Yes there is sufficient play in the clutchbell but what seems to happen is that the aluminiumshoes wears down and creates sort of a beard on the sides that will then lock up the clutchbell and destroy the bearings.

So is anyone running composite shoes? Maybe with harder springs or something. Cause Im going to sell this truck within a a month or two so I dont want to spend too much money on an aftermarket clutch, I just want it to run until I sell it.

EDIT: Tore it down and saw that the plastic ring thats suppose to sit under the shoes is gone, so thats probably what caused the bearings to fail.

take a look at the ascensency clutch before you sell it its good !
and its not to much money ethier its a four shoe clutch.

i liked it when it ran my rc8t as nitro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.