Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips >

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its unfortunate to hear you're in that predicament.

You're probably not the only one in that situation, and I'm sure its not only Team Assoc. with the problem.

Kits are the way to go because you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff...but that's nothing a newbie wants to hear.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

do over: hate to hear whats going on. if you call ae cust sat and let them know i am sure they will help with what is going on. i bought the rtr and was lucky enough to have an experienced racer to help me race prep the truck. i could imagine the frustration of not being able to be racing when at the track. i spoke with a guy name scott for two of my issues when getting my truck going. one front a-arm was warpped and the tank later in life. we have to remeber they build many of these a day and miss stuff and qc is not the best on friday after lunch. give them a call and a chance and i am sure you will be racing soon and consider this a well learned lesson. LOCKTITE IS YOUR BUDDY.

SCOTT ROSS
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

There is a point to be made here, and hopefully someone will step up to the plate and do it. RTR's are there to make it easier to get into the hobby since they come with most of what is needed to get started. What is missing is something that tells the new owners what to do to ensure that their ride is ready to go to the track. Maybe it is out there and just not well enough publisized, but I think there might be an oppertunity here for one of the RC Magazines to make an article/how to about it. With Kits, you are stepping through the manual with every bolt, etc to assmble it, but what is there for a RTR?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Wise

Thanks for your words of wisdom fellas. I'll be back soon enough.

I guess I thought since it came RTR they had locktited it.... Well you know what I'm saying.

I guess I really don't mean to dog the brand I love my truck. Just wish I would have got luckier I guess.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What shock oils & springs everyone using for a smooth fast track.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just finished assembling my RC8TCE. My only complaint is the hidden nut on the top of the shock mount. Not sure why Associated sunk the top mount locknut in so deep?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Do-over I'm sorry to read about the troubles your having. I think its actually more the norm than the exception when it comes to RTR RC cars and trucks. I know when the RC8 came out it was a roller and remember hearing tons of people say they wouldnt even try it until it came as a kit because as youve learned RTR products arent built with the same type of precision as most guys build their own kits. I guess we probably should have warned you that its wise to go over a RTR or roller from top to bottom before running them. I know the Losi guys are taking the rollers and rebuilding them out the box for the best results too. Its not just an Associated problem. I would call them at AE. I know I have called them in the past and they have been extremely helpful so much so in fact I developed a loyalty to them that eventually lead me to apply for and aquire sponsorship. Anyway go over that thing from top to bottom when you get a chance and go out and have some trouble free fun. I just looked back this week and realized I have 6 races on my RC8T CE and havent had a single issue yet and thats after some serious track time. I'll be rebuilding mine before the next race because as you found its better to be safe then sorry.

Oh and dont be stingy with the blue loctite. I use it anywhere I screw into metal including the locknuts in critical locations ie. steering and camber links
Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

I went thru it, when i got it and tightened up a bunch but I hadnt loctited anything cuz i didnt know what I would need to unassemble in the future is there anything i shouldnt loctite? I really dont mind putting the time in on the machine I have very carefully cleaned and retightened things after break-in and every time I fired it up but obviously I didnt get to everything.

When you say "every" is it quite literally everything? Will that give me any maintenence problems in the future?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trying to get out of this negative post. (I'm not a whiner) People keep replying to it so I keep responding. I have come to the conclusion that it was just my lack of experience that "really" caused this. As I said I had no experience with nitro(just electric) I had looked thru the manual and saw it showed locktite on several steps, I guess i assumed it had already been done since it was built from the factory.

Wish the manual would have said if it wasn't.

Again I really appreciate the words of wisdom and general concern for getting me back on the track.

Would still like my previous question answered if its not too much trouble.

Thanks again.... And I still love AE.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only things I locktite are The bottom engine mount screws-(blue) and I red locktite the top and bottom caster block bolts and the set screws for the front and rear pinion couplers.

Also the set screws for the hex pins in the axles.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Do-Over
When you say "every" is it quite literally everything? Will that give me any maintenence problems in the future?
Yeah...pretty much. Any time you screw into metal, including all nuts. Locknuts and all...it's always better safe than sorry. You won't have maintenance problems, if you're using regular allen wrenches...you'll want to get yourself a good set of nice hex drivers so you don't have to worry about stripping screws near as much. Plus they're 5 times faster.

Use either blue Locktite or most any other brand threadlock your local hobby shop would suggest. I know AE makes it, and other brands too...as far as I know they're all the same.

Just be careful not to go crazy with the stuff where bearings or other moving parts are.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tbizz
Yeah...pretty much. Any time you screw into metal, including all nuts. Locknuts and all...it's always better safe than sorry. You won't have maintenance problems, if you're using regular allen wrenches...you'll want to get yourself a good set of nice hex drivers so you don't have to worry about stripping screws near as much. Plus they're 5 times faster.

Use either blue Locktite or most any other brand threadlock your local hobby shop would suggest. I know AE makes it, and other brands too...as far as I know they're all the same.

Just be careful not to go crazy with the stuff where bearings or other moving parts are.
+1 Everything that is metal to metal. engine mounts, center drive shafts, hub screws, Steering hubs. Steering post screws, exhaust hanger screw. that stuff lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Question guys, I know this is the nitro area, but thought I would ask. What would you put in the diffs for an electric.. I wondering about this. Going to be starting my build tomorrow.
Robert
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

i run 7-7-7- in my electric rc8t and it hooks up great, 10k in the center gave me too much push
Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wyattroa
Question guys, I know this is the nitro area, but thought I would ask. What would you put in the diffs for an electric.. I wondering about this. Going to be starting my build tomorrow.
Robert
I run 7k-10k-3k in my e-Truggy and it feels way better than than 7-7-7 for me. But we run on a dirt track with carpet jumps and some corners are carpeted so I don't notice the push mentioned above because of the high bite/grip on the carpet. I don't get why associated is the only one preaching 7-7-7 when it seems every body at my track knows to run less on the rear diff and more on the center. 7k in the middle allows my front tires to balloon too much. 10k will prevent that but sometimes it'll give too much rear traction and you'll wheelie down the track if you punch it too hard. I like the power tho and so i just ease into the throttle to prevent the wheelie and the truck accelerates hard/fast out of turns and down the straights. Hope this helps. JB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.