Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 5 port 7 port what are they??

IM new and dont know what or how to tell a 5 port 7 port or any ports
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the ports are the openings in the sleeve. 5 opening is a 5 port. likewise 7 openings would be a 7 port ect.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Timmahh
the ports are the openings in the sleeve. 5 opening is a 5 port. likewise 7 openings would be a 7 port ect.
O what is better and what is my Losi 427
Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

most of the time the more ports the more power, an engine with 5-8 ports will rippp. dont know about the 427
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
most of the time the more ports the more power, an engine with 5-8 ports will rippp. dont know about the 427
Ok thanx someone might
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I believe the Mach 427 is a 7 or 8 port. That's why they haul ass. Sometimes engines are labeled as 7+1. This does not mean 8 port. It means there is an extra transfer port that moves the air/fuel mixture around to make the engine more powerful or more efficient.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by air8
I believe the Mach 427 is a 7 or 8 port. That's why they haul ass. Sometimes engines are labeled as 7+1. This does not mean 8 port. It means there is an extra transfer port that moves the air/fuel mixture around to make the engine more powerful or more efficient.
Thanx Air that helps me with one ques. the other is longer run time
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Man, I can't remember right now how the ports are supposed to affect fuel mileage. I've read it before but I wasn't concerned about it. I have some 3 port motors that are wicked fast and get around 9-11 minutes depending on how good I'm driving. I don't see a lot of people testing run times under controlled conditions so it's hard to say. And each person has a different tune, with different engines, different vehicles, tires, clutches, springs, weight. It goes on and on. Basically, I can't answer that one.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well back in the day , more ports ment a leaner mix,thus better fuel economy . BUT this also lead to more rpm and this messed up the tuned pipes magic and you got worse economy ,then better pipe and the economy went up and so on and so forth , now we have this OS 3 port VSPEC that gets retarded economy tuned correctly and the 367 Nova that has like 11 ports also getting good economy ?
So it is really tough to answer that question . There is more magic to the ports than most realize! They control engine temp,timing,rpm, power and the list goes on . Then you have the tuned pipe ! This is an integral part as well !
It is basically the supercharger for a 2 stroke engine . The correct pipe will yield incredible results . The wrong choice ..... total pig !!
And then there is personal preference .....
You will just need to experiment and come to your own conclusions ,and remember to keep notes for your self .
Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mremtr
Well back in the day , more ports ment a leaner mix,thus better fuel economy . BUT this also lead to more rpm and this messed up the tuned pipes magic and you got worse economy ,then better pipe and the economy went up and so on and so forth , now we have this OS 3 port VSPEC that gets retarded economy tuned correctly and the 367 Nova that has like 11 ports also getting good economy ?
So it is really tough to answer that question . There is more magic to the ports than most realize! They control engine temp,timing,rpm, power and the list goes on . Then you have the tuned pipe ! This is an integral part as well !
It is basically the supercharger for a 2 stroke engine . The correct pipe will yield incredible results . The wrong choice ..... total pig !!
And then there is personal preference .....
You will just need to experiment and come to your own conclusions ,and remember to keep notes for your self .
well those were pretty helpful answers to my question and I guess i'll just have to play i've got a JP-2 pipe im going to put on that i used on my rossi motor so i'll try it on the Losi and see what happens once again thanx
Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

The JP pipes worked good on my Mach. Just don't put the JP-1 on. LOL. It gives the engine retarded amounts of torque. I think it could pull my 1:1 truck. Kidding. It gave so much wheelspin I had to back the servo down to only open about halfway. It started to feel like I had control after that. But I recommend not using the JP-1 on the Mach 427. The 2 and 3 pipes worked good for me.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Cool

Good question Rob, that helps out some.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

also the amount of ports doesn't include the exhaust port
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RACING MASON
Good question Rob, that helps out some.
Your welcome Mason i guess we needed to know what they are so we can add that to our growing book of madness
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by air8
The JP pipes worked good on my Mach. Just don't put the JP-1 on. LOL. It gives the engine retarded amounts of torque. I think it could pull my 1:1 truck. Kidding. It gave so much wheelspin I had to back the servo down to only open about halfway. It started to feel like I had control after that. But I recommend not using the JP-1 on the Mach 427. The 2 and 3 pipes worked good for me.
Cool thanx Air for the info