Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ProLine foams

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I have a pile of proline foams on my work bench. I swap them out with grp's or ofna foams before I glue up a set. If you stack up 3 of them ontop of eachother, They make great 40 OZ beer Cuzies!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

xlgraphicspro, ROFL.

I spose thats not a bad idea, personaly im gonna start buying GRP tyres i reckon because its too much stuffing around to buy different brand foams and mount them in Proline tyres, pitty cause the tyres work well IMO, oh well Prolines loss.

Gonna try some GRP Jollys next race meet and see how they go, just hope i dont traction roll every corner
Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Rookie

We are sorry to hear that there have been issues with the Pro-Line foam. Pro-Line recommends mounting the tires with both the wheels and the tires vented to allow the dirt and water to escape when they expand. To do this we recommend using a leather punch or scissors and cut two diamond shaped holes on opposite ends of the tire. Also, to ensure the full life of your foam inserts, do not expose to any type of moisture. Moisture will cause the foam to breakdown and tear in most cases.

If you have vented the wheels and tires and have not allowed them to come into contact with liquid please feel free to contact Pro-Line directly for more information regarding the returns process.

Thank you,
Jessica
Pro-Line Customer Service
951-849-9781 EX. 21
[email protected]
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

So your saying if we wash our tires and some moisture gets into the tire through the vents then you will not consider allowing us to return them?

If there is a problem with the foams going bad if they get wet you should advertise that in or on the product packaging other wise it is not fair to the consumer for you guys to hide this little known fact from us and then not RMA the products when they go bad prematurely.

I usually drill a vent hole through the rim as this is a well known procedure. You also recommend a hole on the out side surface of the tire as well to let water escape but then state that we should not let any moisture inside the tire. You have just successfully contradicted yourself! In off road racing tires get muddy and dirty and need to be washed, if we cut them full of holes then water will get inside. So you recommend cutting additional holes in the tires which increases the chances of dirt and moisture getting inside but then recommend not allowing moisture to get inside.

So where is it stated that if the foams get moisture on them that this voids any warranty? Most companies find it fair to instruct it's customers on issues like this. For example when I buy a motor I get a small manual basically telling me how and how not to use and maintain that motor.

I am starting to get the feeling that Proline does not want off road racers to know that if they wash their dirty muddy tires they will be ruined. It seems this is a need to know basis, as in when you want a refund!

I really like Proline tires but this issue with the foams and Proline's response to the matter makes them seem a bit shady in my opinion.

Off road tires and foams should be able to withstand the elements involved in it's usage like dirt, moisture and the constant pounding they take while racing. If thats not the case then they are inadequate for the use they were intended for.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

hookamega......very well said...

On the line about GRP tires....I ran them for racing all year.....Now I haven't been at the track everyweekend, but just about. And since I was on a buget, I had one set of tires new this year that only saw the track for practice and race days, and the held up very well. I can see that right now they are loosing their balance from time to time, but this is by far a better balanced tire than any I have ever owned. Aslo the rubber has held up just as good as any proline. But the foams have held up to the task. Now I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but one set of tires, (actually three, the new ones for the race days, and two older ones for other than race days) lasting and entire race season is what I paid my $70 for.....
Old 10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

I won't use pro-line foams at all any more and that has lead me to buy GRP tires as well. I used pro-lines with holes, without holes, it does not matter. The foam seems to be made for the pros who will only run them a few heats & then put on new ones.

I love that statement above telling us to put hole in everything to let out the moisture that has already destoryed the foam. Take a pole, how many off-road racers never run on a wet track or need to wash tires. Maybe some guys who are lucky enough to have a clay indoor track but that's about it.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I mostly run electric and we have the same problem with the foams. I won't even mount up a tire with Pro-Line foams. I now look for tires from either Losi or Panther that will work before I reluctantly mount up a Pro-Line with some Trinity foams. This is not a new problem with the Pro-Line foams. Pro-Line, find a new supplier for your foams and you'll sell more tires!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

I contacted Proline myself and linked them to this forum post to let them be aware of this problem and i have some faith that while their product is unstisfatory in my opinion it is nice to see they show some concern to the problem.

I will not disclose what was said nor the reply i got because it is confidential but i am happy that they are addressing the problem at hand or at least making an effort too.

Thanks Jessica
Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

GenReaper

I hope they did not sound surprised that this is a problem for many people, I have good reason to believe they have been aware of this problem for almost a year that I can account for. It's pretty common to run into one of their team drivers at any of the tracks in our state. I remember talking to him about this problem at least 8 or 9 months ago.

What I gathered from that conversation is that using mean green to wash your wheels and tires was a problem because the chemicals in the cleaner would destroy the foams. I have not used mean green on my wheels sence but I still see the same problem with just plain water.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I use just plain water and two drops of dishwashing liquid for about 1 litre water.
This is not the problem, its the construction and material they are made of.
Ive had one set out of the many that ive had, that screwed up within one hour of use and split the foams into pieces and throws my wheel balance way out where the tyre actualy comes off the ground under acceleration causing wheels spin and shaking my car to pieces and wearing out my steering ends and suspension component premature, that my concern, these foams wreck my car, hence the change.

Might as well hang Basket Balls on all four corners.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I ran into that problem and Proline told me they have new foams coming out and will not be a problem . Well that was over a year ago and still same deal . I know use ofna , Panther , or GRP and have no problems even after washing my tires .
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Well its good to see Pro-line taking an interest in what normal racers are saying about their products. What I'd like to say to them is that their tires have great traction, and the price is quite good. They do have some problems though, the biggest qualm I have with them (CF MTR's in particular) is that they are horribly unbalanced out of the package, and they are really really heavy! I only have an hour on mine, but I can feel the foams breaking down a bit, not really any worse than I would have expected though.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

my foams are toast (i can feel the hollow spots) after one day and the tires still look new. these were pre-mounts also. i am done with pro-line. thier quality control sucks. my pro-line fuel gun leaks like a shower head and i have only used it twice.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WheelNut
They do have some problems though, the biggest qualm I have with them (CF MTR's in particular) is that they are horribly unbalanced out of the package,
I can relate to that statement. I used a whole package of racers edge wheel balance putty to get a set of MTR crime fighters and premount MTR holeshots balanced right out of the package. But I can live with that, it's the crappy foams that are getting to me. I was really looking forward to using the proline premounts but not anymore.

I mounted up a brand new set of crime fighters at a race last month and noticed after I got them glued that one of the tires was deformed and akward. When I spin it it's got a nasty wobble in the tire. At first I thought the rim or hub was shot but I took it off and put it on my balancer and see the same.

JConcepts is coming out with a new truggy tire soon so watch out for those.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
I ran into that problem and Proline told me they have new foams coming out and will not be a problem . Well that was over a year ago and still same deal . I know use ofna , Panther , or GRP and have no problems even after washing my tires .
Well thats very cool that Proline is going to work on some new foams they need to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.