Search

Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Idling problem

Hey everyone.

Had a pretty good day of driving my CEN Matrix and OS .21VG combo. The only issue I am having now is this:

When getting it going it would fire up fine with just alittle throttle given, but seemed to not want to hold its idle. when adjusting the idle screw so it would keep an idle, it would at times right after coming off of some high speed passes would drop down immediately. This however was not consistent.

Could it be I have an air leak somewhere? What are some of the methods you guys go about diagnosing the problem.

Other than that, the vehicle ran great, engine did quite well too.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Legend

Anyone?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

With your throttle in the brake position, your carb should be open 1mm. Once you get your idle screw set for this opening, than you will set youe low speed needle to adjust your idle, not the actual idle screw. If the the idle is too low, lean the low speed, if it is too fast, richenthe low speed needle.
Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I do it the other way around. I start with a roughly .5mm gap and begining to run and tune the engine. It doesn't need to idle for very long while I am running. Once I am confident that the balance from the HSN and LSN are good, I will adjust the idle screw to get the idle I want.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys!

I noticed it somewhat that as I would lean the low end needle, it appeared as if the idle got better but I wasn't sure how those two worked together.

I will reset my idle screw to 1mm (its not far off from it anyway) and work with the low end.

These vehicles are pretty fun once you get the hang of tuning. Was having a blast just filling and go.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hey everyone.

Had a pretty good day of driving my CEN Matrix and OS .21VG combo. The only issue I am having now is this:

When getting it going it would fire up fine with just alittle throttle given, but seemed to not want to hold its idle. when adjusting the idle screw so it would keep an idle, it would at times right after coming off of some high speed passes would drop down immediately. This however was not consistent.

Could it be I have an air leak somewhere? What are some of the methods you guys go about diagnosing the problem.

Other than that, the vehicle ran great, engine did quite well too.
I had a hard time getting my tune down for the first month on my buggy but had some help from some guys down at my local track help me out now its not a prob.Just seal around the carb, hsn base and your golden
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

cain sold the engine and car about a month and a half ago...