Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default Radio replacement

My son (11 years old) races monster trucks and buggies, he owns a Spektrum DX 3 which would like to replace.

Seems that a new M11R is comming out but have no idea of the new features, the new Spektrum 3.0R will be out late next month and also the Futaba.

Taking into consideration the side of an 11 years old and the weight of the transmitter, what will be a better choice?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My son (5 years old) has been racing for a little over a year now. He started with a DX2 and using my OLD XL2P. We made a switch last week to a M8. I put the neck strap on it (one drop from the drivers stand and good by radio, as he holds it over the rail) for him and he LOVES it. The weight does not seem to bother him.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out the Futaba 3PM with teh FASST system built in. Its light, has most of the features of the 3PK and is half the cost. If you use the digital futaba servos, you can use it in HRS mode.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk15.html
Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chuck67
My son (5 years old) has been racing for a little over a year now. He started with a DX2 and using my OLD XL2P. We made a switch last week to a M8. I put the neck strap on it (one drop from the drivers stand and good by radio, as he holds it over the rail) for him and he LOVES it. The weight does not seem to bother him.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Thanks for the info, forgot to mention that this kid is running in the Pro series, so one of the reasons for updating the radio is features that the DX3 does not have.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Skip on the M11, there's WAY more buttons and settings on there than either of you will know what to do with (i.e. more to go wrong)

The Futaba 3PM FASST would be a nice 1/2 step up for you. I've had mine most of the summer and really like it. All the features I need and know how to use, and a couple of optional extras like a timer and anti-lock brakes for nitro cars.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Your current radio is a nice unit. I am not sure what features you are looking for, but moving to the futaba 3pm to me is a lateral move. There is not one feature I use on my M11 that is not on my dx3, note that I said "use". If you just want a nicer radio, the 3pk or m11 are great option, but I dont see the need for extra option other than model memory. I like the M11 for its comfort but I am contemplating a JR Z1. If its a matter of comfort, take your boy to the hobby store and let him feel every radio they have. Good luck
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Your current radio is a nice unit. I am not sure what features you are looking for, but moving to the futaba 3pm to me is a lateral move. There is not one feature I use on my M that is not on my dx3, note that I said "use". If you just want a nicer radio, the 3pk or M are great option, but I dont see the need for extra option other than model memory. I like the M for its comfort but I am contemplating a JR Z. If its a matter of comfort, take your boy to the hobby store and let him feel every radio they have. Good luck
Hi Adm_X,

I tend to agree with you about the PM being a lateral move, besides the need to buy an additional Rx, since I have two spektrum already. The features that I am interested in using are exponential graphical adjustments and timers, besides being a firm believer that the best investment you can make in RC is in the radio.

I feel that the M11 is a little heavy for one hour main, don't know anything about the M11R or the new Spek. Never had in my hand the JR Z1
Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

The 3PM is not a lateral move, its basically a less 'fancy' 3PK. The quality is much better than the DX3 and its faster. I have had both and the 3PM is a much better radio than the DX3.