Search

CLUTCH SPRING TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Default CLUTCH SPRING TUNING

I am curious about this:
using:3- shoe clutch setup,with standard weight aluminum shoes
With the thought of clutch spring rating/engagement(highter number=thicker spring=later engagement=more snap),and the dyno numbers an engine data archive.It seems as if a lot of engines make their peak hp and trq at a lower rpm than the engines peak rpm.Does this mean you need to tune your clutch springs to engage at an earlier rpm rather than at a later rpm(lower number clutch springs),so you are in that lower peak hp/trq rpm area?
I understand grip also comes into play,but mainly curious about this aspect of the tuning.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah what you said is correct.
Its the same principle with real cars, even stall convertors.
Trade off is it can be twitchy to drive in its engagement because it will transfer lots of power straight away.
I see a few people that over clutch their engines and do well but it can come down to driving style and smoothness as well.

I would generaly tone down a clutch on a 5 port on a slippery track making it more drivable with softer springs as with having heavier springs the engagement will be higher in the rev range and will cause wheelspin.

If it was a 7 port i would run heavier springs so its up where its making good power.

Comes down to personal preference, driving skill, and controller setup so "each to their own" to say

Having heavier springs will make it very "Snappy" but if traction is good this can be well utilised.
The heavier the springs, the less RPM range you have in your power band and will take some drivablity out of the car.

Hope it helps :}