Wiki Posts
Search

AE GT2 and HPI Firestorm 10T Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Thumbs up AE GT2 and HPI Firestorm 10T Opinions

ok as i posted and i believe all of you who posted on my thread about the jato being a competitive race truck. On to a new truck.

I didn't price a GT2 yet, but here are some general questions. Is the gt2 rtr and does anyone know a price? Should i buy new or used for my first time racing? If so used, Does anyone have a GT2 for sale and How much with shipping too Minersville, Pa 17954? Do i have to upgrade anything to be competitive in the racing circuit other than my driving skills? On a racers opinion, What pipe is best for a GT2? And if i purchase one does anyone have a good set-up for it?

Hpi Firestorm 10T

What is everyone's opinion on that truck? Could it be competitive in the racing circuit? Would it keep up too a GT2? And has anyone ever raced one before?

All opinions on this, very interested in racing and i see my jato isn't gonna cut it. I don't have TIGHT pockets either....
Thanks alot for your opinions.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you can get the gt2 in rtr or factory team kit version....the kit is a much better truck, it comes with all the hop up optional parts in the kit...check the b/s/t forum there are many of them for sale with good prices...

with the ft kit there is no real need to make any upgrades....

the ae smoothy pipe is the best pipe for the gt2 IMO...

as for the firestorm, im sure its an ok truck, but to really compete you should run either the ae gt2 or the losi ad2...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can pick up a gt2 rtr for around 290 and its very competative out of the box , you cant go wrong with this truck ive put 6 gallons of fuel through mine this summer without any major issues . i dont bash the truck , its been on my lawn twice i think , once for break in and once for some tuning other than that its just raced . i wouldnt even consider buying the hpi firestorm for racing. my gt2 was my first associated product and im sold on them now there dependabilty is unmatched.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

apparently, i don't know i've never raced mine, the firestorm, when setup properly can compete with the GT and GT2. i can say the firestorm is brilliant, although the shocks may need some attention (long springs are needed on the rear to meet up with the bottom of the shocks) and the front bulkhead is a bit flimsy. the firestorm is also alot cheaper (at least in the UK).
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC10GT2 - I've been racing and bashing a Factory Team all summer and have had a blast. A couple of add-ons, namely some longer shock ends to drop the suspension travel range, RPM control arm kits front and back (get them), a regular Associated rear axle (GT2's come with a quickchange rear wheel), and stiffer clutch springs to give it some snap.

Firestorm 10T - Haven't seen one out on a track or in person but just by looking at it from press pictures I'd say it's a decent truck. The design shares a lot of elements of the GT2, just bigger. More bashing, less racing, but not something I wouldn't consider putting on a track just to see what happens.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Dont be afraid to buy a used rolling chassis. GT and the GT2 can be found in great shape for decent money. The money you save you can by a new motor and run the electronics you want since motor and electronics are really the most important upgrades you can make.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'd say go with the GT2 RTR. It's easy to start and tune great truck for anyone. I bought a GT2 RTR this spring and I have a blast to race the truck. Didn't break anything. Great truck !!!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

i'm going to race my firestorm at some point so i'll tell you how it goes!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks for everyone who posted on this thread, I don't know what i'm gonna do yet. Deciding factor.. But i know this I took my jato to the dirt and i probably did about 3 tanks of donuts and couldn't drive a straight line if my life depended on it.. It was horrible, slow, wait very slow like my g/f's 4yr old nephew beat me with a losi xx-t electric, everytime i gave it a little "wham" i spun around.. So i went out on the street much better.... wide open passes....lol

GT2= dirt and fun
Firestorm 10t= dirt and fun
Traxxas Jato 3.3= dirt and no fun, Street and high speeds fun but break more when it crashes...

Last edited by imprtcrx; 09-11-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: corrected something
Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Run the Jato with an actual set of dirt tires and see what difference it makes. Trust me, it will.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

i would hate having a jato. i get nervous whith kerbstones everywhere... i crashed my firestorm when the brake disc shattered (thats a con - the stock disc is crappy and cracks). apparently the firestorm beats jatos off road (due to the reliability i guess, not speed)
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation jato vs firestorm

I wouldn't say reliability, b/c i took some hard hits with my jato and the only thing i broke was a vantage cvd and a lower bulkhead and cracked the chassis plate but that was 3/4 throttle into a telephone pole.. It's beefed up and can take some good hits, i just need to limit the power to weight ratio, the 3.3, i've already went from a stock 54 tooth spur to a 57 tooth and it just gets up and goes a lot quicker...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default jato

Well i finally broke down. I bought dirt tires for the jato, a new pro-line quicklidz, imex step pins rear on imex white wheels, and imex rib dawgs front on imex white wheels, and i converted the jato from 2 speed to 1 speed, Man a world a difference, i can actually drive a straight line in the dirt.... now just to get to hobbytown and run on their track... I'll let you all know how it was...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default i wanna X

i see alot of opinions on here and they make sense but your best bet for now would be to save some green and setup the jato for dirt and see how it goes, experience will put you on a podium alot more then having the best vehicle, dont get me wrong a good setup will help alot, but setup the jato for dirt and try racing it for a while. then after you have some experience under your belt then decide to jump on a 'competition' vehicle. what you have has all the setup options you need to learn about (setup of shock, diff, clutch, ride hight etc) and if you go and get some experience with the jato then when you do get around to buying a AE or Losi you will have that experience, and knowledge to help with your decision and you may find the jato can be a decent competitive truck too (with some setup).

sloopy.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sloopy
i see alot of opinions on here and they make sense but your best bet for now would be to save some green and setup the jato for dirt and see how it goes, experience will put you on a podium alot more then having the best vehicle, dont get me wrong a good setup will help alot, but setup the jato for dirt and try racing it for a while. then after you have some experience under your belt then decide to jump on a 'competition' vehicle. what you have has all the setup options you need to learn about (setup of shock, diff, clutch, ride hight etc) and if you go and get some experience with the jato then when you do get around to buying a AE or Losi you will have that experience, and knowledge to help with your decision and you may find the jato can be a decent competitive truck too (with some setup).

sloopy.
Well im to looking for a 10th scale and veryone has told me the same its going to be the AE