Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal transponders and AMB20?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Personal transponders and AMB20?

HI there,

What does it take to make personal transponders work with the AMB20 lap counting system? Will it work at all? We just purchased a just AMB20 system for our local track (have not received it yet, but will later this week) and I am wondering if it would work at all. Let me know.

Thanks.

Edwin
Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Nothing. It will not work period!!! No conversions.... nothing you can do. AMB used to have a FAQ page on there site, and it was in there. But they have changed there site and I can't find that page.

I've also tried it.... it doesn't work.

Gotta remember, an AMB system20 is 8 to 17 years old. Long before personals came out.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks for your response. I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure. We've got 20 transponders with our system, so we should be fine.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default AMB needs come competition

In my opinion AMB hinders R/C as much as it helps it. Their prices are through the roof and the quality of the equipment is terrible. You can't get things fixed and if you do it takes forever. No upgrade paths no way to upgrade them in the field. Sure would be nice if another company or two started putting out systems. A PT costs maybe a buck to make. The little red box that costs so much from AMB maybe costs 20 bucks to make. But you know what would happen if someone were to come up with something. AMB would just sue them and siphon off all their capital. Even if the new system were totally different. I wonder how many more tracks there would be if the timing system didn't cost so much. I venture that there would be a LOT more. The markup on that stuff must be over 500% easy. What a rip off.

Griz