Like Tree23Likes

Kyosho ST-RR

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho ST-RR
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Current running upgrades/Mods people are doing to this truck late 2016/early 2017.

-Chassis Options
m2c2850 KYOSHO STRR EVO WEIGHT FOWARD TRUGGY

-Engine Mount Option
IFW102 - Blue narrower Mount. Allows you to put Lock Nuts on top of screws that hold the Mount plates in.
Agama motor mount AGM6206

-For MP9 Knuckle conversion
Kyosho IF419 MP9 Knuckles
Kyosho IFW436 16degree Hub Carrier
Kyosho IF420 Knuckle Arm Collar (slightly thinner than STRR one)
Kyosho IF467 Long King Pin

-Strengthening upgrades
King Headz KP-360-BLK Front Torque Arm
King Headz KP-372RR-BLK Rear Torque Arm (extended chassis)
King Headz KP-300LB-BLK Lower Front Holder B
King Headz KP-300UL-BLK Front Upper Holder L
King Headz KP-329 Rear Brace Mount
IS157 Hardened Diff Case from Psycho Kruiser
IGW002GM Alum Rear Hubs
HB Outdrives #67197

-Replacing C-Clip Hinge Pins on Inner Susp Holder
HPI 109848 Hing Pins
Racers Edge/KFactory RCEK8034 Pins (Very hard to find)
or
Replace complete A/B/C/D Blocks with:
*M2C m2c2510 KYOSHO ST-RR/ EVO REAR TOE BLOCK
*M2C m2c2520 KYOSHO STRR EVO TRUGGY FRONT LOWER ANTIDIVER KIT

-Servo Saver Mod
IFW450 MP9 SS Alum Upper Arm
IF417 MP9 SS Lower Assembly

(See http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=4112 for full pics and description).

-Performance Updates
IFW327BL Blue Narrow Hexes (typically run on front).

-Bodies Options
RC8T Bulldog Body (discontinued late 2016).

Print Wikipost

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KThatcher
Yes, but I would not recomend it as you can buy the evo for cheaper...
If you want all the gunmetal anodised stuff, then yes.
If you are happy with the blue colored stuff (which is 100% the same) and you have a healthy ST-RR then a conversion is cheaper then buying an Evo kit.

What you need is:
-Evo Ring & pinion gear
-Updated bulkheads (D version)
-MP9 wing
-New Evo wingmounts
-MP9 engine mounts
-MP9 airfilter
-Evo mudguards
-Evo body mounts + Evo body (or aftermarket cabforward body)
-The new threaded shocks

The shocks is preference imo, I think the velvet coated ones are better. Some people like the clip system better aswell in which case you don't need the new shocks either.

If you add all that up then it's pricey, but cheaper then an Evo kit.
Also: I have already seen Evo parts sold on ebay for cheap

I have updated to Evo but didn't need the shocks and was already running most of the MP9 stuff like airfilter, engine mounts and linkage so the price of the conversion was very reasonable

Anyway, some pics:

The new straight cut gears are smooth and have more contact surface (deeper) but they are a bit noisey, maybe that will go away after a while when they wear in more. The new bulkhead is definately different material compared to the old one: harder and less flexable.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi,

Just a quick question....

I am going to buy used STRR roller online...

Can the engine mount fit any type of engine?

Im gonna put a SH .26 engine...

Thnx
Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Yes the mount will fit
Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

My Evo mostly done and just waiting for motors now.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho ST-RR-dscf0643.jpg   Kyosho ST-RR-dscf0644.jpg   Kyosho ST-RR-dscf0645.jpg   Kyosho ST-RR-dscf0646.jpg  
Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malcnz
Sweet

MP9 ti screw set i see there?
I use it aswell...saves a lot of weight
Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Thanks,
yeah got screw set for mp9 ..when I order it..couldnt resist using them and fitted most but a few were frustratingly close but couldnt use as a couple mills to short...may order a few 4mm/3mm ones if I can get them longer.
got the brown cnc hubs to replace the cast knuckles and some king headz bits here and there, nut retaining pin set as dont like c clips, and blue alloy lock nuts, alloy shock standoffs, need to get the longer alloy wing stays as mp9 to short, need to order alloy washers for wing as only came with plastic..shame on you kyoshowill also get Ti turnbuckles, dont use the lunsford bottom shock retainer pins as to short
When I replaced the servo saver arm with a king headz alloy arm I couldnt get the adjuster ring off as factory assembled and spring didnt look right ..like not properly set and had to wreck the ring to get it apart and mashed the plastic part of servo saver so luckally local store who is kyosho mad bailed me out with parts and the one he gave me went together much easier and turns freely now so something to look out for from the factory...best thing is probably to leave the servo saver alone
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Balancer-Plug

is this the lipo I should run? as dimensions look like a tight squeeze and is it good for the forward mounting on mp9 as well?
cheers.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

malcnz that battery is fine it is the same one i use with my mp9 and strr with the up front mod
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

my evo will be here monday!! i got the work bench all cleared off today and i'm ready to start building! is it monday yet? lol
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Anybody else noticed the outdrives seem to be a bit brittle? It's not a problem as they last a long time but the edges seem to loose little bits of material from the dogbones hitting it. Once the outer edge is gone it doesn't happen any more but that edge being gone causes more play in the drivetrain.

Pic says more then words:

I read on here that the light weight Hotbodies D8 / D8T were a direct fit so decided to try them (blasphemy! ). They fit but the crosspin needs a little bit of work as the Hotbodies ones have a slightly smaller diameter. These outdrives don't seem to have this problem and still look like new after a couple of uses
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malcnz
That's beautiful, I like the fact they got rid of the blue! Looks 100% better, didn't like that on my truck Body done yet?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Cheers, got 2x bodies and getting them both painted by a local guy that does really great work so could take a few weeks.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ambros303
Anybody else noticed the outdrives seem to be a bit brittle? It's not a problem as they last a long time but the edges seem to loose little bits of material from the dogbones hitting it. Once the outer edge is gone it doesn't happen any more but that edge being gone causes more play in the drivetrain.

Pic says more then words:

I read on here that the light weight Hotbodies D8 / D8T were a direct fit so decided to try them (blasphemy! ). They fit but the crosspin needs a little bit of work as the Hotbodies ones have a slightly smaller diameter. These outdrives don't seem to have this problem and still look like new after a couple of uses
I use the hot bodies outdrives with hot bodies internal spider gears and cross pins. You have to double up the gaskets to get proper clearance though. I run them on all three diffs with no problems and little wear.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Neesh
I use the hot bodies outdrives with hot bodies internal spider gears and cross pins. You have to double up the gaskets to get proper clearance though. I run them on all three diffs with no problems and little wear.
Thanks for that info. Was wondering just that as the spider gears look very similair. Using those means no more work on the Kyosho cross pin.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

going to order a tony's screw kit so i have all the spares for my new evo. does anyone know if the regular st-rr kit is what i need, or should i wait for tony to come up with a specific evo kit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.