R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   after racing tips? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/174972-after-racing-tips.html)

Huffpie 07-31-2007 08:51 PM

after racing tips?

noobie, jammin x1cr/OS vz-b v-spec

looking for tips on what to do after a day of racing, i already have the motor cleaned out. what do you guys do? any help is appreciated. thanks

bushyar15 07-31-2007 08:55 PM

After a day of racing, I like to get home, jump in the shower and get clean...

Then head downstairs for a "Coldy" and sit in my theater chair and watch a good movie while enjoying a tasty pizza.....

;)

Jason Halvorson 07-31-2007 08:57 PM

i look over all the bearings, check and clean the shocks, check and clean the clutch shoes, clean the air filter, look over entire chassis for cracks and tweaks, and just do a good clean job...

Jason

Zazuk 07-31-2007 09:03 PM

I'm a noob too, but I make sure that screws and nuts are tight also look to see if something is stressed/broken/missing. Also make sure your engine piston in not at TDC (Top Dead Center)when it cools down. Do after run oil and clean it up.

xlgraphicspro 07-31-2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson (Post 3538348)
i look over all the bearings, check and clean the shocks, check and clean the clutch shoes, clean the air filter, look over entire chassis for cracks and tweaks, and just do a good clean job...

Jason

I do the exact same thing, but It usually takes 5 days to get to it. Friday Night is cleaning night. But It's always spotless and all good to go by sunday!

Nay0k 08-01-2007 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zazuk (Post 3538385)
Do after run oil

Bleh, not after every raceday...infact the guy probably won't need it at all. I agree with everything else though.

MADMAN23 08-01-2007 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nay0k (Post 3539302)
Bleh, not after every raceday...infact the guy probably won't need it at all. I agree with everything else though.

i do... i have been into the hobby all my life...:cool:

cheesecake 08-01-2007 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by bushyar15 (Post 3538340)

Then head downstairs for a "Coldy" and sit in my theater chair and watch a good movie while enjoying a tasty pizza.....

;)

man you hit the nail on the head. then durring the week i rip it down hopefully before wednesday so if i need parts i can order them and have them here for the weekend so i can put that car back together on the off weekend

lanerbrainer205 08-01-2007 02:30 PM

Heres what I do to my 8ight. Take the engine out. Spray down the whole car in Grease Lightening Orange Blast. Spray it off with an air compressor. Next I take out the radio tray, and lather every plastic part up in Armor All Leather Conditioner which does the same thing as plastic conditioner. Then I take the hose to it. After all of that I plug the holes on the engine and make it spotless. After that I reassemble the whole thing and oil down all the bearing in Trinity Bearing oil or WD-40. Oh and through this entire process I check for broken parts and what not.

Jason Halvorson 08-01-2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by lanerbrainer205 (Post 3540775)
Heres what I do to my 8ight. Take the engine out. Spray down the whole car in Grease Lightening Orange Blast. Spray it off with an air compressor. Next I take out the radio tray, and lather every plastic part up in Armor All Leather Conditioner which does the same thing as plastic conditioner. Then I take the hose to it. After all of that I plug the holes on the engine and make it spotless. After that I reassemble the whole thing and oil down all the bearing in Trinity Bearing oil or WD-40. Oh and through this entire process I check for broken parts and what not.

:weird::weird::weird:lets not over do it or anything!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

xlgraphicspro 08-01-2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by lanerbrainer205 (Post 3540775)

man, really? why don't you just throw the whole thing in the dishwasher and put greased lightning in the detergent trap, and use armor all during the prerinse cycle?

RBMike 08-01-2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by bushyar15 (Post 3538340)

;)

Same here but I usually fall asleep after the food is gone.

satoch 08-01-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro (Post 3540821)
man, really? why don't you just throw the whole thing in the dishwasher and put greased lightning in the detergent trap, and use armor all during the prerinse cycle?

After I get home from racing in the sun for 8-10 hours I definately need the shower, beer, and something to eat. I never use after run oil. Maybe 2-3 days later I take off the motor, tires, and electronics and throw the buggy in the dishwasher.

Then it sits for a day or so before I slowly start to tear stuff down further as needed and get it ready for the next weekend. I'm just anal enough that my stuff is properly maintained and all but never breaks down at a race but not so crazy that I sit and obsess like some guys.

xlgraphicspro 08-01-2007 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by satoch (Post 3540953)
After I get home from racing in the sun for 8-10 hours I definately need the shower, beer, and something to eat. I never use after run oil. Maybe 2-3 days later I take off the motor, tires, and electronics and throw the buggy in the dishwasher.

Then it sits for a day or so before I slowly start to tear stuff down further as needed and get it ready for the next weekend. I'm just anal enough that my stuff is properly maintained and all but never breaks down at a race but not so crazy that I sit and obsess like some guys.

I was joking about the dishwasher! I used to do that with my Jammin 1/8th, but it left my screws all rusty, now I just break it all down and loosen up the dirt with a brush, and use lysol disinfectant wipes with alcohol and scrub it down. alot of people think it looks new and never run untill they see all the scratches on the bottom of the chassis!

mugenlife 08-01-2007 03:54 PM

before i leave the track i use the air compressor on it and wipe it down with simple green (saves from bringing the dirt home). when i get home i remove the fuel tank engine and radio tray and clean it off with a brush. i then wd 40 all moving parts and blow off the extra with the compressor. i make sure there is no binding and inspect the car. I USED to just check the clutch by spinning it but after my last race i wont ever just do that (had a damaged bearing). you can be anal about it and take 5 hours with it making it look new or do what i do and spend a couple hours on it and just make sure its clean enough and works smoothly. (you might see a finger print here or there). check the droop screws and blow out debris from that area after every run! i only do my gear boxxes 1 time a month so far but i usually do it by feel and by how smooth the drivetrain moves. feel no grit you are good to go!