os v spec problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

os v spec problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys Im glad I found this thread becasue Im haveing the exact same problem with my v-spec. Im not a master engine tuner by any strech of the imagination but Im not completely worthless either I never have been able to get this engine tuned in very well but it has been acceptable. Just never the power machine that it's supposed to be. Ive never been able to get it to run in the higher RPMS very well its either to rich or too lean. anyway I reset the needles to factory and started tuneing in and like the guy who got the 250 degree temp while running very rich

Originally Posted by tdeal823
I was wrong it was like 250f not sure why but I tossed the temp gun in my box and went on tuning.
I went out and ran a few laps and I was putting down so much smoke that I was sure that the temps would be like 160-170 pulled in the pits and the temp was around 250. I was scared to lean it out anymore though and just stopped and set the rest of the day out just baffeled about the whole situation. There are no air leaks that I can find I checked the HSN, carb body, carb seal, and rear plate, I never thought about the exhaust coupler so I will try that but I have replaced the front bearing So I doubt that is the problem. Im running %30 Byrons, P6/P7 plug, JP3 Pipe. I know every engine is different and this may be a stupid thing to ask but If anyone could let me know how many turns in on the HSN and LSN they are just to give me something to work with I would be most apreciative.

Im so frustrated with this motor that Im about ready to take a hammer to it and get a P5X LOL. Not really but you get my drift.
HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

I run a v-spec and it wouldnt run very well. Reset the needles and didnt find a tune at all. After a few times I was sic of it and started all over again.
Took the OS manual and did everything exactly as stated in the manual.
I found my mistake. The idel schrew was in to mutch with the result of a rich bottom ,a lean top and temp keeps getting higher.
So started with a gap of 0.4mm on the idel schrew and tune all over.
My engine came alive this weekend and dit not get over 250 in temps.
richt now my needles are at
lsn 3.5 turns from bottom
hsn 2.5 turns from bottom
mid 0.5 in from flush

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks savage, Im just glad to know that Im not the only one who has had trouble tuneing this motor. I'll try out those settings as a baseline and see where I can go from there.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I had the Same problem with my P5x, mine was FINE until the third heat one nite, I kept trying to tune etc....and I was leaning the motor, temp kept going up etc..my point, I did'nt run the main, I went home, checked the clutch bearings they were good, my Clutch NUT was about two turns Loose I re-tightned, motor runs like a champ again, temp 200-212... hope you find the prob.

Originally Posted by m3motorsports
Hey guys Im glad I found this thread becasue Im haveing the exact same problem with my v-spec. Im not a master engine tuner by any strech of the imagination but Im not completely worthless either I never have been able to get this engine tuned in very well but it has been acceptable. Just never the power machine that it's supposed to be. Ive never been able to get it to run in the higher RPMS very well its either to rich or too lean. anyway I reset the needles to factory and started tuneing in and like the guy who got the 250 degree temp while running very rich

I went out and ran a few laps and I was putting down so much smoke that I was sure that the temps would be like 160-170 pulled in the pits and the temp was around 250. I was scared to lean it out anymore though and just stopped and set the rest of the day out just baffeled about the whole situation. There are no air leaks that I can find I checked the HSN, carb body, carb seal, and rear plate, I never thought about the exhaust coupler so I will try that but I have replaced the front bearing So I doubt that is the problem. Im running %30 Byrons, P6/P7 plug, JP3 Pipe. I know every engine is different and this may be a stupid thing to ask but If anyone could let me know how many turns in on the HSN and LSN they are just to give me something to work with I would be most apreciative.

Im so frustrated with this motor that Im about ready to take a hammer to it and get a P5X LOL. Not really but you get my drift.
HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

As a follow up to my earlier post, engine runs like a champ now. We kept the temp about 250 most of the day with good power. It felt like it needed to be leaned a little before the second heat so we did a couple hours. Temp was 280. Fattened it back up for the main, felt about right during the warm up. Won the 10 minute main by two laps, was able to clear the triple every lap, best part was the temp at the finish was 218! Sealing up the couplers helped a ton.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by t hatcher
i have an os v spec with about two gallons on it ran fine till yesterday temp has always been 220 but it started smelling funny from the exhaust and now it wont hold a tune and the temp jumps all over the place. I took it a part and the piston and head are jet black like it is running super fat but it gets to hot. rear bearing feels perfect but the front feels a little funny any help would be great thanks
maybe the black things ---> the carbon remaining from fuel burnt is the cause of strange engine problem like high temperature, flame out, and hard to start. Perhaps that carbon is glowing inside the ignition chamber creating early detonation, and consequently higher operating temperature.

Normally you should clean the top of piston and side of sleeve with metal polish. Also clean everything inside the engine with cotton buds and electric motor cleaner, and lubricate everything with after run oils.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is off topic, but It's ok, because Travis found his problem and has already fixed it.

My question is this. what would happen if I replaced the piston and sleeve on my v-spec with a piston and sleeve from an OS speed version of the V-spec?

Theirs only about a $15 dollar difference between the two.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
This is off topic, but It's ok, because Travis found his problem and has already fixed it.

My question is this. what would happen if I replaced the piston and sleeve on my v-spec with a piston and sleeve from an OS speed version of the V-spec?

Theirs only about a $15 dollar difference between the two.

Perhaps the tuned version produce more torque or more high end rpm than original vz-b.

As long as the new p/s/r fit into engine, there are no reasons to say " why not ? "
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Perhaps the tuned version produce more torque or more high end rpm than original vz-b.

As long as the new p/s/r fit into engine, there are no reasons to say " why not ? "
that's what I was thinking, now if someone can tell me if the case is milled different to accomidate the different sized ports? If not, I'll definatly consider trying it when it comes time to rebuild my Spec! Runs great still especially after one 20 minute main and then a 30 minute main in the same day, no problems. I love this motor!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

the port timing on the crank is matched to the piston and sleeve so it shouldn`t produce os speed power but will be better then stock,might do that to mine now thanks for the idea mate