Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
No breather hole in Pro Line pre-mounts? >

No breather hole in Pro Line pre-mounts?

No breather hole in Pro Line pre-mounts?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)
Default No breather hole in Pro Line pre-mounts?

I just picked up some PL hole shots for my Jammin buggy and noticed there are no breather holes in the rim or tire. Any ony else notice this? ..... They will be alot easier to clean but I don't think I've ever ran a tire with out a couple of breather holes .... I don't know if it will make a difference , I really don't want to put some in since they are already mounted I would tear up the foam a little and possibly start an early break down. ..... any one have an opinion, let me know what you think.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i prefer to not have breather holes in my wheels and tires....IMO it helps to prevent turning the tire into a pizza cutter....
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

use a leather punch to get a small hole in the tire
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As long as your careful with the drill bit you shouldnt cause any significant damage to the foam. The tires probably won't last as long as the foams anyways.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

You absolutely need to vent your tires. These tires, foams, and wheels were designed to be vented and not rely on air pressure for support.

You can use a leather punch on mounted tires without causing the foams to break down too badly. If you still don't feel good about punching a hole through the foam, use scissors to cut vent holes into the sidewall of the tire.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[ use scissors to cut vent holes into the sidewall of the tire.[/QUOTE]

Really? the sidewall? I never thought of that. Would that make the tire easier to tear? I'm not questioning your excellent knowledge. Just asking for my knowledge. It is still building. lol
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

I have many, many sets of tires with holes cut in the sidewall that haven't torn, filled with dirt, the foam isn't destroyed, no exaggerated or irregular problems from venting the tire through the sidewall. It doesn't make the tire fold over in corners any more than it should, it doesn't scoop the dirt, or anything like that (I'm trying to cover all the reasons why people would think I'm crazy for suggesting such a thing, haha).

Is it better or worse? Neither, really. Admittedly, the only sets of tires I have that are vented through the sidewall are ones that were mounted without getting hole punched (oops...forgot something, haha). But it has never caused a problem for me or other racers I've seen do that same trick.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Aaron. I need to get to work then. Have several premounts that I drilled the wheels on. On the new sets i'm gonna go SLASH the sidewalls. Kidding. Well thanks for teaching me another trick.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How I vent my tires is I take a small set of Side cutters, pinch the tire and pull it up, cut 2 slits about 1/8 inch apart, let go, turn tire 90 degrees, and repeat, gives nice little squares, no damage to foams, faster then dremelling it out, less messy as well. I do this on MT tires and 1/10 truck and buggy tires.
The sidewalls vented aren't nearly as efficient at letting water out of the tire, but I would guess that would work.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The funny thing is back in the old days that is the way we always did it. (hole in tire) sidewall and on top of tire. I dont remember when but one day it was hole's in the rim. I have been doing it that way ever since. I seen Masami drilling holes in his rims, He put several big holes in and all were evenly spaced. he said he felt it made it more consistant, versus just putting 2 little holes in the rims. This is no kidding I bet he had 8 decent sized holes each b4 wheel.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

For all my 1/10th scale tires, I use a body reamer to make two large holes (probably 1/4 or so) in the rim and leave the tire alone.

You have to be careful with molded foam in 1/8th scale tires, it can plug the hole in the rim and stop the tire from venting properly.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Wow, I did'nt think I'd get much on this one!... Thanks for all the great info guys!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Around here we plug up any holes that might be in the rim. Then we take a sharp knife or razorblade and put a few small slits in the center of the tire between the tread.

The slits tend to stay closed up keeping dirt out of the wheel while still opening to relieve pressure and to let the air back in. From what I have seen any dirt that does get in side the tire flies back out on the strait.

Anyway that is how we vent tires around here and it works for us.

Last edited by TGA78; 07-15-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To me the most important reason to NOT vent the rim on a 1/8 wheel set is to keep dirt from accumulating inside the tire/foam. Venting the outside of the tire somewhere allows dirt and water to find it's way out of the tire from centrifugal force. It is better to vent the rim on tires being used for indoor racing where traction compounds may be used as the chemicals will eat foam if they are allowed to get inside the tire.

The safest way I can think of to vent a tire that is already mounted is to use a diagonal cutter and pinch the tire up away from the foam and snip a small square hole in the tire. You want 2 vents on opposite sides of the tire.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i guess i should just keep my mouth shut....seems like im wrong once and awhile....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.