R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   D-Box for Monster truck/ Truggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/172265-d-box-monster-truck-truggy.html)

sir miles 07-13-2007 02:50 AM

D-Box for Monster truck/ Truggy?

In the April 2007 issue of Xtreme RC mag Brian Skinner (SKINNY) quote about him using a D-box in his truggy (D-box is a gyro for drift cars that helps to counter steer and makes drifting easy). And says that it actuaLLY WORKS! He even mentioned that the sanctioning bodies make it illegal for racing. Now, does anybody ever tried this in their MT or truggy? Is it considerred cheating using one? Im very interested and planning to try one in my Hyper ST.

rezenclowd3 07-13-2007 07:47 AM

Yes, most clubs and any sanctioned racing bodies say it is illegal. It actually can help, but if you use one and get caught (very likely) you will be given the boot.

sir miles 07-13-2007 04:53 PM

Hahaha, thanks man! Im just curious about how it can work on my trugs. Anyway if I can find one I will definitely try it because here in the philippines rules are not that strick as you have there. Thanks again!

rezenclowd3 07-13-2007 05:58 PM

Well, if you need it in a truggy, you definitely lack in your driving skills.

sir miles 07-13-2007 06:10 PM

I didnt say I need it, Like I say Im just curious about what it can do to my truggy. If Brian Skinner have tried and used it, why not me? Does he lack driving skill too?

V for Victory 07-13-2007 06:25 PM

What does this thing do anyways? DOes it allow you to drift easier???:confused: How?:confused::weird:

rezenclowd3 07-13-2007 06:57 PM

Its a gyro that senses 1 axis of movement. It can be had for much less also... In RC helicopters, the gyro senses tail movement and tries to hold the tail in the last given position. The same can be applied to the cars/ trucks. It will sense the rear end washing out, and will cope (if you have it setup right) by counter steering. Typically, the gyros rate is controlled by a separate channel, and it passes through another servos leads, in this case the steering. It will make the vehicle harder to drive in some cases, especially when you need to slide the rear end out. But you control its "aggressiveness" with gain (the 3rd channel). And yes, it most likely is illegal at a decent sized club. Mine on the other hand could give a rats ass, as we need anyone we can get to stay afloat. Still, I would much rather win without any driving assist.

V for Victory 07-13-2007 08:59 PM

:lol: Thats pretty trick!:lol: So your saying that if this D-Box is setup right it can help in the corners by compensating for the rear end slide?:weird: Wow. Hope no one at my club uses it during the race.:lol::flaming:

MadRacer 07-15-2007 02:25 AM

Ah 10 yrs ago GM racing made a speedie with a anti slide gyro in it and used sensors as well but it was banned. Lrp did one too and planned to use it at the worlds at the time but ifmar herd about and banned any driver aids .
Just think if was legall you would have brushless with traction controll, anti slide .... would be good i think..

xtremelimits285 07-15-2007 08:39 AM

i have the futaba version, its pretty awsome , u can floor the gas on a paved road wit gravel/sand on top of it an the truggy will still say stight....an if u have to roll on the gas to keep ur truggy stright anywhere, by adding it u can just floor it an ur truggy wont loop around.... it also keeps the car stright if u slam the brakes no matter what....

its a awsome if have bad tires or the wrong setup, it compinsates an make drive like a pro....

also u can put it on 100% an slowly keep turning it back to 0% an u will be a faster cus it sort of teaches u how u can drive faster.... put it on an practice for a day or too an keep turning the setting toward 0% an u will gain .2-1secs
by doing that an come race time u'll be alot faster.......
basicly ive seen if u practice for 1week with it is = to practiceing 1-month with out it....
since i dont have a hole day to prctice(i can only practice for a hour)since im handycap/quadrapaligic it helps me an makes it like i practice everyday..... its a awsome tunning tool , trust me ......

its awsome or bashing/not only practice, THE ONLY bad thing is it stops u from doing dounts..... but it does help out makeing u fell like ur a pro driver....

i say get one, u will love it..... just take it off when u race;), (u wont need it cus ull be faster anyway,if u practice like i said above)

and guys dont nock it till u try it........
cus it does cut down practice time an u will be faster come race time

MadRacer 07-15-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by xtremelimits285 (Post 3486317)
i have the futaba version, its pretty awsome , u can floor the gas on a paved road wit gravel/sand on top of it an the truggy will still say stight....an if u have to roll on the gas to keep ur truggy stright anywhere, by adding it u can just floor it an ur truggy wont loop around.... it also keeps the car stright if u slam the brakes no matter what....

its a awsome if have bad tires or the wrong setup, it compinsates an make drive like a pro....

also u can put it on 100% an slowly keep turning it back to 0% an u will be a faster cus it sort of teaches u how u can drive faster.... put it on an practice for a day or too an keep turning the setting toward 0% an u will gain .2-1secs
by doing that an come race time u'll be alot faster.......
basicly ive seen if u practice for 1week with it is = to practiceing 1-month with out it....
since i dont have a hole day to prctice(i can only practice for a hour)since im handycap/quadrapaligic it helps me an makes it like i practice everyday..... its a awsome tunning tool , trust me ......

its awsome or bashing/not only practice, THE ONLY bad thing is it stops u from doing dounts..... but it does help out makeing u fell like ur a pro driver....

i say get one, u will love it..... just take it off when u race;), (u wont need it cus ull be faster anyway,if u practice like i said above)

and guys dont nock it till u try it........
cus it does cut down practice time an u will be faster come race time

HOW can you be faster useing it for practice than disable it for racing (doesn't make sense) your driving skills wont improve buy practicing with it..

xtremelimits285 07-15-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by MadRacer (Post 3486841)
HOW can you be faster useing it for practice than disable it for racing (doesn't make sense) your driving skills wont improve buy practicing with it..

u dont just turn it off,,,, over a 40-90mins u slowwly turn it down.....

If u slowly turn it down say u start at 50% an every 1hour turn it down 10-20% till u hit 0%, it helps u get use to car an what does or act at certin parts of the track.....Plus if u have bad tires/or the wrong tires an dont have the money or cant get to the hobby shop, u can still practice or bash without spinning out arond everywhere, and u can get use to the wrong tires by slowly turning it down like i said above....also u can spend the time trying diffrent shock or linkage combos/ when ur tires are balled....

U slowwly get used to driveing around the track/the tracks turns , faster , with out spinning out or being allover the track, u learn ur lines around the track, and u slowly find out where to get on the gas coming out of the corners, and u learn where to brake....

thats how it helps me, its hard to tell u how it does work, u would think it would hert an thats what i thought untill i tryed it in my 8ight T(got it for my t3 that i drift sometimes), after i seen how it worked, i started useing it at my offroad track in both my truck an truggy.... im good at my track practice 3-5days a month, raced my track alot, then stated playing with my gyro on the clay offroad track, 2weeks later i felt i was going faster, so i went to a saturday race an low an behold i droped 1 full secs. off my lap times 32.28 to a 31.15, i changed noting on my car just played with my gyro..... i also tryed the same thing at the tampa track, droped 0.6secs there.... lastly my house track i have droped 2 full secs. .......

all i know is suddenly jumped in my driveing abblity since i started useing it.......(an btw i do unhook it, not just trun it to 0% when i race)

the best thing about it is u can drive with crappy or bald tires.... trun it up 20-50% an it feels like u have good tires:)...... it pays for its self if u get new tires from 2-3weeks to 4-6 weeks or till the tires fall apart

air8 07-15-2007 05:19 PM

So is there a certain type/size of gyro to use? could I pull the gyro out of my E-flite blade and wire it up in my 8? I'm gonna see what it does. Does it have to be centrally mounted or can it be in a radio box on the side of the chassis?

xtremelimits285 07-15-2007 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 3487145)
So is there a certain type/size of gyro to use? could I pull the gyro out of my E-flite blade and wire it up in my 8? I'm gonna see what it does. Does it have to be centrally mounted or can it be in a radio box on the side of the chassis?

works almost any where, but putting as far to the center of the car helps it work better......

your gyro mite work, try it, just make sure the tires counter steer, and not steer into the turn, u have to flip it upside down if it does, that should fix it:)

MadRacer 07-15-2007 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by xtremelimits285 (Post 3487119)
u dont just turn it off,,,, over a 40-90mins u slowwly turn it down.....

If u slowly turn it down say u start at 50% an every 1hour turn it down 10-20% till u hit 0%, it helps u get use to car an what does or act at certin parts of the track.....Plus if u have bad tires/or the wrong tires an dont have the money or cant get to the hobby shop, u can still practice or bash without spinning out arond everywhere, and u can get use to the wrong tires by slowly turning it down like i said above....also u can spend the time trying diffrent shock or linkage combos/ when ur tires are balled....

U slowwly get used to driveing around the track/the tracks turns , faster , with out spinning out or being allover the track, u learn ur lines around the track, and u slowly find out where to get on the gas coming out of the corners, and u learn where to brake....

thats how it helps me, its hard to tell u how it does work, u would think it would hert an thats what i thought untill i tryed it in my 8ight T(got it for my t3 that i drift sometimes), after i seen how it worked, i started useing it at my offroad track in both my truck an truggy.... im good at my track practice 3-5days a month, raced my track alot, then stated playing with my gyro on the clay offroad track, 2weeks later i felt i was going faster, so i went to a saturday race an low an behold i droped 1 full secs. off my lap times 32.28 to a 31.15, i changed noting on my car just played with my gyro..... i also tryed the same thing at the tampa track, droped 0.6secs there.... lastly my house track i have droped 2 full secs. .......

all i know is suddenly jumped in my driveing abblity since i started useing it.......(an btw i do unhook it, not just trun it to 0% when i race)

the best thing about it is u can drive with crappy or bald tires.... trun it up 20-50% an it feels like u have good tires:)...... it pays for its self if u get new tires from 2-3weeks to 4-6 weeks or till the tires fall apart

Ok i kinda get what you are on about. What is your system you said a Futaba
version. What is it as i have only herd of the D box and is not cheap.??