Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vets.. i need help on oldschool

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Vets.. i need help on oldschool

any one know what type of breaking this is called..
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSC00321.jpg

also does any one know if it can be converted into disc breaking. If it can, can you tell me how or direct me to a way.

thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Rookie

o ya... its an old nitro hawk that runs well, but i need more power and better breaks cause all i do now is slide for a while when i press my breaks and high speeds.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I belive its a "drum brake" type. as far as going with disk setup im not sure, someone here probaly knows of a conversion kit or parts to use. hope that helps a little.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had several of the Nitro Hawks and the brakes can be adjusted to not lock up but it takes a lot of playing with the servo adjustments. a spring or piece of fuel tubing on the linkage to absorb some of the pressure from the servo on initial application would work. The brake setup is similar to the old Brezinski setup for the GT if I remember right. I always burnt up the brake arm since it's just plastic against the steel clutch bell. I think some gasket material glued to the contact area of the arm would help make it last longer and may smooth out the braking as well. The brake arm applies pressure to the clutch bell. The problem with more power for that truck is the crank is a goofy length compared to most engines (longer). The flywheel and clutch bell are turned around backwards from the normal setup. If you try to install a regular crank engine the clutch bell teeth won't line up with the spur gear. You would have to move the engine back to make it line up which will require either re-drilling the chassis to move the existing mounts back or using different mounts.