Nitro Rustler

Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro Rustler

Does anyone have a nitro rustler, if so what are the main problems that I should look out for,

thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

i have a nitro rustler and i just got it yesterday but i herd that you need to get a stronger shock tower. but mines running great!!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, a better rear shock tower would be the piece to buy, also a better screw kit would be nice. Did you guys get the new model? I'm not sure if the design has changed @ all?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Initiate

ya i got the new model, when u say better shocl tower what do u mean, taller, thicker...?+
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just something stronger than the plastic origional. Fiberglass is good if you can find them... Like I mentioned earlier though, I'm not sure about the new style...It may have a upgraded rear shock tower.
The origional ones are fine until you flip the vehicle and land on the lid. The rear tower will snap @ the "X" in the center. There only like $4 though, good to have a few on hand
Old 06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jmdv
Does anyone have a nitro rustler, if so what are the main problems that I should look out for,

thanks

Telephone poles and mailboxes. LOL.

Seriously, they're pretty durable. The rear shock tower is vulnerable if you're not running the body on it. The body really does prevent a lot of breakage.

My son, brother and nephew have tried several after market shock towers, and they're all back to originals. Not as brittle, and a lot cheaper. Not going to break the bank to keep an extra 1 or 2 in the toolbox.

None of theirs have the stock engines in them anymore, and all have another problem. The rear axle carriers. They tend to split or wear funny. (Typically the right one) It causes tracking issues. Especially on acceleration. If you notice a lot of slop in your rear tires, they're the usual culprit. Sold in pairs, fit either side and easy to change out. Cheap too, like 4 bucks. Keep an extra set on hand. Just a little insurance and won't ruin your day of fun.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

i got the new modle to. and i rolled it with the body on and my front shocks acually pooped off the cap and i got new shock oil yesterday and a tamp gauge. how do you tighten those things?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mr.rusty
i got the new modle to. and i rolled it with the body on and my front shocks acually pooped off the cap and i got new shock oil yesterday and a tamp gauge. how do you tighten those things?

I just tighten them as tight as I can by hand. You can use pliers and such, but then you run the risk of crushing the seal, which defeats the purpose and/or strip the threads.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

ya, i just had the problem with the right axel carrier and the top off my rear fork popped off on my first ride. I just undid the screw that holds on the top cap cleaned out the threads and screwed it on with my fingers and tight a possible. Make sure you shock oil is the ssame weight as stock or is might affect the handling of ur car. (stock is 30 weight).
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

yea i got 30 weight.