Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Breaking in a OS Vzb V-spec How did you do it? >

Breaking in a OS Vzb V-spec How did you do it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking in a OS Vzb V-spec How did you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default Breaking in a OS Vzb V-spec How did you do it?

im in the process of gretting some fresh fuel to breakin my Vspec, ive read articles on whats the best way eg RCuniverse, interested in knowing>> .

what and how did you run yours in?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Ran mine in by :

3 tanks on the box using a heatgun and foil to make sure temp was above 200, i kept it at 220-240

then i put the car on the track and run another 4 tanks through it while gently running around. bringing it in to the pits every so often to check temp.

I then run it rich at a race day and im pleased to say nearly 4 gallons later its still running sweeet

Brian
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

first 2 tanks idle on the box, then take er easy for the next 13 tanks. Nothing too complicated, just keep it rich! Doing this my first v-spec lasted 8 gal. I'm starting my 5th gallon on my 2nd one. Nitrotane Fuel.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

this engine is a monster, very fast. the problem i had when trying to break it in was the carb needles were way out of adjustment. engine kept flooding. any tips for the new guys trying to get it to start? what are your needles set at?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Fire it up on the box and get it up to 200 deg. let it idle for about 15 or 20 minutes at that temp then shut it off and let it cool with the piston at bottom position. Repeat that about 4 times maybe 5 at most. This heat cycles the motor.

now fire it up and run it on the ground, the needles should be pretty fat at this point. run it around in the parking lot using 1/4 throttle blips for one tank. Repeat this for the first 3 tanks but lean it out about 1 or 2 hours on the top for each tank.

When you get to the third and forth tank you can give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle blips and some 1/2 throttle passes for short distance.

For each tank lean it out an hour or two on top and keep an eye on your temp. after about 6 tanks you should be running 240 or 250 at most with full throttle blips and some 3/4 throttle passes.

6 to 8 tanks should break in a v-spec now throw it on the track and race tune it.

Idleing your motor on the box for 2 or 3 tanks is a waste of time for most modern nitro engines, per Ron Paris. Your just prolonging the break in process with no added benefits.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LOW ET
this engine is a monster, very fast. the problem i had when trying to break it in was the carb needles were way out of adjustment. engine kept flooding. any tips for the new guys trying to get it to start? what are your needles set at?
it's ok to lean the bottom out to get it started, once running be sure to put the needle back where it was. I would recommend putting some after run oil in it for the first couple runs to help lube it.

You should be running your new motor a bit richer than the factory setting to break it in. i'de go atleast a half or three quarter turn out on the top from factory.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

i run trinity 20% break-in fuel for about 3 tanks on the starter box. then i take the extra head shim off and run sidewinder 30% and run it around until the 6th tank. finally i start tuning on it until the temp gets 2 about 230 degrees.
also when i break it in on the box i use a heat gun to warm it up then start it. i run it until it gets to about 200 degrees then shut it off to cool down and restart the process all over until i have gon through those 3 tanks
Old 12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Similar method to HookaMega, good advice.
Did this running 25% race fuel.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I love how all u guys are saying 5-13 tanks and its broken in.......a motor is broken in when there is no mechanical pinch left...and thats the ONLY way to tell....with no Glo plug does it still stick at top ?....if So its not broken in....Plain and simple....imo alot of guys push there motor's Way to hard WAY to early in there life.....take it easy guys...take ur time...make sure its right the First time around.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info will idle her for 3 tanks and on 4th blip her around and by 8 tanks should be ready to race tune like mentioned by hookamega.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 AM

the point to idling 2-3 tanks is to seat the bearings properly as its a known weak point on the v spec (old model which i have) but its reccomeded on the new one as well,

i myself thought the same way its a waste of time but after being told by the os drivers over here who race with me i thought i better listen to them and hey it works so who am i to argue
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

right o thanks for that will keep that in mind.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey racemasta where did you get your vspec from. They are cheaper here in oz than overseas huh.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Regular

i got mine from RChobbies and had them match Ultrahobbies price, but you can get the V-spec for 280 from radiomodelsupplies at the moment so be quick.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just let the guy at the hobby store that I buy them from break them in. I have no idea what he does, but by the time that I get them they are great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.