Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Megacrash, what servo did you kill? the steering? have you been having problems with the saver locking up after a few runs?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Hey Megacrash, what servo did you kill? the steering? have you been having problems with the saver locking up after a few runs?

also was it a 1015 ? or 1313 ? did it have the orange label or the Black 1....big differences if its the older orange label.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone have experience using the c0272 gear reduction in the rear end? if so, what, in your opinion, were the handling characteristics that were enhanced and/or impeded?

Does anyone have experience using the 48T spur? If so, what is your opinion?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn
Does anyone have experience using the c0272 gear reduction in the rear end? if so, what, in your opinion, were the handling characteristics that were enhanced and/or impeded?

Does anyone have experience using the 48T spur? If so, what is your opinion?
I have used the 48T spur. I ran it with a 13T CB. Very punchy. I installed a 14 CB instead and its good. A little more top end than 13/46. I preferred it since I can drop or raise CB teeth size instead of changing the spur. A lot easier to adjust ratios this way.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Originally Posted by Integra
also was it a 1015 ? or 1313 ? did it have the orange label or the Black 1....big differences if its the older orange label.
Hey Guys,

The servo was a ds1013 and it was the orange labeled version, although i must point out it was in the losi 8 before hand on throttle duty, i then put it straight from the losi into the mugen on throttle duty.

Ive done 3 rounds of racing so far 2 with the losi and 1 with the mugen, every round ive had a runaway and i had problems tracking the fault down so i did a process of elimination.

i bought new radio gear,batteries etc.. for the mugen when i sold the losi the only thing that was the same on both cars was the ds1013 servo so after the last round with the mugen and another runaway i went home and tested everything to find the problem,

Swithced all the radio gear on and left it, 30-40 seconds later the car goes to wot!!!! so i rebind check plugs etc.. and restart the process again it goes to wot after a period of time. Removed the servo placed it on the steering and it seemed okay, so i checked the receiver by using another servo and that was fine. Tried the ds1013 again and it went to wot again.

Did the same thing with the losi so i can only guess the fault occured when the servo was in the losi 8 b no matter all sorted now 2 black labeled ds1015's have been installed
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

I have seen thottle servos go out on the Mugen. See if maybe the wires have a soft spot. My friends servo wire had been internally cut by the battery in the tray. If you don't foam pad the forward section to keep the battery away, it will slam the wires coming into the radio box when the battery slides forward and it pinches the servo wires.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 to padding the box. My radio box is so packed with foam, I have to practically force the lid down. At least I know nothing is moving around.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 AM

checked all the wires, they are fine i believe the problem is related to the motor/electrics of the servo itself its just not happy

i run a lipo battery (2300) so there is no room for the battery to move at all, but ive still stuck foam everywhere i can. I hate opening the radio box takes ages to put everything back and close it
Old 01-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Megacrash
checked all the wires, they are fine i believe the problem is related to the motor/electrics of the servo itself its just not happy

i run a lipo battery (2300) so there is no room for the battery to move at all, but ive still stuck foam everywhere i can. I hate opening the radio box takes ages to put everything back and close it
What radio equipment are you running? Personally, run all my radio equipment from the same brand. Since I have Futaba, all my servos are Futaba. Back in the days, the Hitecs would not operate correctly with Futaba Tx/RX and till this day, I still don't mix radio brand equipment. The Hitecs had weird centering issues and groaning. I don't know about now, but I still won't mix them. I won't even plug a Spektrum unit in my Futaba either, strictly FASST units. I also heard the Spektrums had issues at the J Concepts RC Clash. I heard they glitched with a 2.4Ghz wireless cam on the track. It didn't happen with Futaba though, at least from one of the local driver's that was there that told me so. Also, that same driver lost a throttle servo on his Cen this past weekend in the Amain. He runs Futaba FASST and the servo was a JR. Its not the first time he told me it failed either. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to be a Futaba servo guy. The 9350 I have had have held up great. However I have been really disappointed in the 9351 servos. Metal gears only good for a year. I had two servos blow motors. One in its second race another after a year.

I am switching to the Hitec 5955 for steering. It is pretty much bombproof and Hitec's warranty is very good if you need it. I also had Hitec problems in the past but this servo changed my mind about Hitec.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

i run a hitec 5645 on my mugen. I found if i didnt shim up the T servo, it would bind and act funny. The only tim ei have had a run away was when i had a cut wire. Since you checked the wires, have you checked inside the servo as well? whats the inside smell like?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
I used to be a Futaba servo guy. The 9350 I have had have held up great. However I have been really disappointed in the 9351 servos. Metal gears only good for a year. I had two servos blow motors. One in its second race another after a year.

the 9351 actually has a plastic gear in it...the first gear off the motor's is a White plastic gear....i had 1 fail on me at the Nats last year... i now run it as a throttle servo for that reason.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

megacrash,
had the same issues as you found out i had a 1015 that was reverse polarizing(reverse polarity) and it would immediately make the regulator screaming hot and shut down. i sent both back to ace they claimed they were fine. got rid of them put 2 94359 airtronics in never had another problem. several people had the same issues with the ace servos.

Last edited by tmperformance1; 01-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM

Wow!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
the 9351 actually has a plastic gear in it...the first gear off the motor's is a White plastic gear....i had 1 fail on me at the Nats last year... i now run it as a throttle servo for that reason.
My friends & I have never had one strip yet. We've taken out fuel tanks, arms, hinge pin braces, etc., on our local tracks 30ft triple, but not one servo yet. I have three them in all my cars, my friends 8ight and my other friends RC8. We did manage to cut an Airtronics servo in half along with the servo tray, yesterday on the triple in a Jammin during practice though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.