Racers!!... Best temp gun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racers!!... Best temp gun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have the O'donnell temp/stop watch. Got it for $40. It's always within 3 degrees of my buddy's Exergen.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by d4man
Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. So if you spit on your head, and the spit doesnt boil, you're below 212. If it sizzles right off you're way above 212. If it boils a little you're just about right.

How many of you guys own the O'Donnell Temp Gun. When I read my temp, it reads a little high. I guess this is because it's reading the glowplug temp and not the head temp. Anyone agree? Mine temps roughly 25 degrees higher??
Bring your chewing tobacco to tune up..
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BananaWheels
Bring your chewing tobacco to tune up..
How'd you know I chew?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
I have the O'donnell temp/stop watch. Got it for $40. It's always within 3 degrees of my buddy's Exergen.
Mine read 6F* off of the Exergen.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZRCaddict
Mine read 6F* off of the Exergen.
Must've been a bit of a breeze that day. LOL!!! I could live with 6 degrees f.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Same here with O'Donnell TGX1 within 5 F* from the Exergen,
also was about the same when testing against my fluke equipment.

Much better than my old microtec thing.

Steve.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OK, so basically the gun is right on.

I guess when I point the temp gun at my engine it is actually temping the glowplug (which should be 20-25 degrees hotter) then the head.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I haven't use a temp gun in about a year. I just do the spit test when my truggy comes off the track. I use the smoke to tune my engines,
" If ya see smoke you won't go broke " lol. This might not work for every one, but this is what I like an use

I just can't see the importants of a $250.00 temp gun, just a waste if ya ask me. I've been running the Ninja .21 for the entire time so I know when it is right. If ya listen to the engine it will talk to ya
Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lockmouth
I haven't use a temp gun in about a year. I just do the spit test when my truggy comes off the track. I use the smoke to tune my engines,
" If ya see smoke you won't go broke " lol. This might not work for every one, but this is what I like an use

I just can't see the importants of a $250.00 temp gun, just a waste if ya ask me. I've been running the Ninja .21 for the entire time so I know when it is right. If ya listen to the engine it will talk to ya
I agree, for the most part, but as Ronald Reagan said in reference to the Soviets, "Trust, but verify"
Old 06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lockmouth

That may be true, but I figured it wouldn't hurt for $40.00.

Yes you can tune by smoke and ear with practice. Until recently, I've never used one all these years, but when you first start out it's easy to burn one up. I did. After that you pay attention, or pay for a new engine. It's just an extra safety precaution, but I wouldn't rely on it totally. Just my .02.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I see 2 time world champion Billy Easton using a temp gun to confirm what he sees on the track regarding engine performance. "nuff said!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
I see 2 time world champion Billy Easton using a temp gun to confirm what he sees on the track regarding engine performance. "nuff said!
I live in Lake Havasu City AZ and its hot 6 months out of the year and trying to tune my car in the heat is pretty frustraiting but i figured if it dose not bog to much its runnig fine. oh and it is still 100 degress at 8:00 at nite
Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Fluke makes some great products. they are geared for the HVAC and electician trades, but they have many models to chose from. They are spendy compared to some of these others, however Fluke is a name you can trust for accuracy, performance, and customer service. I have used many Fluke products and they are top notch!!!!

Also, Raytek is a division of Fluke that specializes in IR non-contact Temperature Measurment.
I have not had any personal experiance with their products, but considering they specialize in the business and are a Fluke company....thye are bound to have a great product.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for about $12 bucks just drop this on your motor.
Attached Thumbnails Racers!!... Best temp gun?-300.jpg  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobf24
the new o'donnel gun rocks, and its actually affordable,
I agree. It's always within 6 degrees off my buddy's $300 Exergen and I have checked it every weekend for a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.