Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
Awesome, where you located? Maybe some day I can come check out the track. Man water in there, that will be funny who ever land in it lol
LOL... the water is for the hose, so we can moisten the track surface between heats to keep traction up...

Our track is located in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys. Here's my latest setup sheet. I'm going to race the Hellfire this weekend with this setup, and will let you know how it works.
Attached Files
Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

I hope this set up works.
If fore some reason U need more stiring.
1 lower your front ride hight.
2 put the ackerman to the back

Let me know if it makes any differense.

mzl Hellsavage

btw your set up looks good
Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was wondering is it always to have hard spring on the rear and softer on the front so that way the back won't slide as much?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
I was wondering is it always to have hard spring on the rear and softer on the front so that way the back won't slide as much?
According to what I've read in setup manuals, stiffer springs mean less traction, thus, if you have stiffer springs on the rear, then the rear will have less traction. A little bit less traction on the rear can be a good thing as it helps a car to make a tight corner.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
I hope this set up works.
If fore some reason U need more stiring.
1 lower your front ride hight.
2 put the ackerman to the back

Let me know if it makes any differense.

mzl Hellsavage

btw your set up looks good

Thanks Hellsavage.

I know that I have more preload spacers on the front than on the rear in this setup, which might seem like my ride height would be higher on the front... but with the way the shock mount positions are in this setup they actually need more preload, and the front ride height is actually a bit lower than the rear (putting more weight on the front tires for steering).

Discussing this topic has brought something to my attention regarding the Hellfire setup sheet... it's missing a section for recording front and rear ride height.

I'll try more ackerman tomorrow if I need more steering. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MadHacker
Thanks Hellsavage.

I know that I have more preload spacers on the front than on the rear in this setup, which might seem like my ride height would be higher on the front... but with the way the shock mount positions are in this setup they actually need more preload, and the front ride height is actually a bit lower than the rear (putting more weight on the front tires for steering).
I know what U mean I had the same 2 weeks ago. But them there was a pro who came up to me and told me to lower the front. I reacted the same as U dit, but dit it anyway. It improved my laps with a full second. Dont know it its in my head or the car but it dit make a difference.
He told me whem the car is stationairy the front looks low. When U hit the throttle the front wil rize. When U stir in to a corner U hit the brakes first U want your front to be as low as possible for max grip when cornering.
Anyway to me it made a difference and its a tuning done in a sec. So U could give it a try. If it is no good go back to old set up in a sec. So U spil 2 seconds trying.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MadHacker
Thanks Hellsavage.

Discussing this topic has brought something to my attention regarding the Hellfire setup sheet... it's missing a section for recording front and rear ride height.
I notised something to. The things were the arms are mounted to the bulkhead on the front. The front brace is drawn horizontal and on my car its vertical.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

I notised something to. The things were the arms are mounted to the bulkhead on the front. The front brace is drawn horizontal and on my car its vertical.

mzl Hellsavage
Yeah, that's an option part for the SS kit version. It came stock on the RTR. It allows for front inboard angle adjustment.

I updated the setup sheet, added Ride Height and adjusted a few other things. If you guys like it, I will post a blank version for you all to use.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-greggs-setup-sheet-july-21_07.gif  
Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

I know what U mean I had the same 2 weeks ago. But them there was a pro who came up to me and told me to lower the front. I reacted the same as U dit, but dit it anyway. It improved my laps with a full second. Dont know it its in my head or the car but it dit make a difference.
He told me whem the car is stationairy the front looks low. When U hit the throttle the front wil rize. When U stir in to a corner U hit the brakes first U want your front to be as low as possible for max grip when cornering.
Anyway to me it made a difference and its a tuning done in a sec. So U could give it a try. If it is no good go back to old set up in a sec. So U spil 2 seconds trying.

mzl Hellsavage
OK, you talked me into it... LOL I'll try lowering the front some more during practice tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

has anyone tried the different sway bars yet? Whats your opinion on the different tensions?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Heres an update on my servo saver arm.
Yesterday I was invited at a local track for some testing.
We came to the conclusion that with it my Hellfire was one of the best cornering cars at the track. with a very small turning radius.
The track was grass carpet with very high traction. Almost to much for the nubs (stock on the ss).
After a day of racing the arm is still going strong.
My personal opinion is that its a winner. So lets wait for Madhackers opinion and findings and were good to go.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by milenko_76
has anyone tried the different sway bars yet? Whats your opinion on the different tensions?
No yet.
I have a set but dit not use them. I wil check them out asap. I also want to know if they make any differense.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Well, here's the results from the races yesterday...

I TQ'd in qualifiers and took 2nd in the A Main!!!

I'd have to say that this setup is da bomb! The truck felt totally dialed yesterday, and I had a lot of comments regarding how good the truck looked on the track. Spectators were ooo'ing every time I cleared the big triple with ease. The truck flies like a dream, and is very responsive to throttle/brake input mid air to control the attitude.

My steering issues are gone, I took the rhythm section with ease, the truck jumps well, and it also handles the 150' high speed straight with no instability issues at all.

I'm very happy with the truck now. I won't be changing a thing for next race! (except to put on Hellsavage's servo saver when it arrives).
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-greggs-july-21_07-setup-sheet-works-excellent-.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 07-23-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a question on battery/Reciever box. How do you guys maintain the box down?

I have body pin on one end, but the other end nothing holding it down, I can lift it up still. I'm not sure this is a problem when you flip or hit a bump wouldn't your stuff fall out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.